What is the history of the Yaki faction, if anyone knows?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dreamer2008
x4

What is the history of the Yaki faction, if anyone knows?

Post by dreamer2008 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 12:40

After the "success" of XR, I planned to start a new AP XRM game, and one of the Yaki starts seems very tempting.

But I realize that I don't know almost anything about the Yaki, even if I read the X Encyclopedia. I don't feel comfortable playing with a faction I don't really understand, so can anybody tell me more about them?

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 15:08

While pirates are just pirates, you can think of the Yaki as a mafia. Egosoft may have been thinking of the Yakuza when they invented the "Yaki"; basically a mafia, or "honorable mafia."

In any case, they do trade in illegal wares and slaves, and their missions are typically to attack convoys of regular races. They don't seem to go randomly aggressive (red) like the pirates do. They don't allow anyone in their home sectors (except for you, if you have high standings); they will attack pirates, as well as any other NPC vessel that enters their home areas.

Lore spoilers:
Spoiler
Show
A few of the X3TC and X3AP plots point towards the fact that the Yaki have infiltrated and corrupted the higher echelons of the Argon government. Initially, the Argons made deals with them because of the war with the Terrans and the need for weaponry and (sometimes illegal) research, but after that they seem to have actually taken control of some of the government.

Certain clues point to the Beryll research organization as being Yaki. That would mean that they were involved in re-researching AGI artificial intelligence ships, and then making them attack the Solar system again as part of the current war with the Terrans.

dreamer2008
x4

Post by dreamer2008 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 16:38

Thank you, ajax34i. :) Interesting info.
Spoiler
Show
I didn't notice in the TC plots the information about the Yaki infiltrating Argon government, but that would explain why in AP they would use Berryl against the Terrans ( in the encyclopedia there is a mention that Berryl is indeed part of the Yaki Syndicate)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”