No TrackIR with Terran Conflict?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jburrowes
x3ap

No TrackIR with Terran Conflict?

Post by jburrowes » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 11:01

Hello everyone,

New member here - and new to the X series.

I have a question and a followup to it for you all:

Has Egosoft considered but rejected the idea of adding TrackIR support to TC?

If support is in the works would it be a bad idea to play AP first and then TC? Or should I not care about the story very much?

A little about me and why I've only just starting playing this series that I've known about for years:

I'd have gotten into X3 years ago had I known about 3D cockpit mods. Forehead slap for not asking google whether the series is moddable.

Anyway I bought X TC and AP on Steam with the intention of playing TC first, for its story line, and then AP. That plan was fine until I found out that the cockpit view can be panned - using the numpad keys. Until then I assumed that these EXCELLENT and functional cockpit mods were 'simply' 2D graphics.

Now that I know about head panning I want to use my TrackIR in TC.
Thanks for reading,

JB

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 02:35

I am not sure if there are plans for further support for X3TC.

However, as an alternative, you could install this mod for AP and play AP (with TrackIR support, presumably) but still get the TC plots (followed by the AP plots).

Numpad keys can be used to look around. A joystick hat button can also be used to look around, and joystick support is pretty good in both games (you can program the joystick buttons however you want). You should try it; joysticks aren't any more expensive than a decent mouse.

EDIT:
Index of Mods
Index of Resources (guides, maps, calculators, etc).

jburrowes
x3ap

Post by jburrowes » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 12:53

Ajax34i,

Thanks for that link. I've already started an AP character so it'll come in handy. Hopefully I don't have to start over to use it. If I do it's not a big deal cause I've only played a couple of hours with it.

So far as looking around any other way but with head tracking, well, I have a nice wireless Logitech (Xbox 360 compatible) gamepad. Once you have played a while with true head tracking though - just looking around naturally - you really wouldn't want to give that up if you could help it.

Thanks again!

Now to check out that mod...
Thanks for reading,

JB

el_kazer

Post by el_kazer » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 19:31

Unfortunately TrackIR support is really poor in AP.
The main problem is that it moves the whole HUD around, including the boresight... so the slightest movement will throw off your aim, because you're not shooting where the boresight is pointing anymore.
I (and based on forum posts, most other TrackIR owners) tried it on for about 10 minutes and then disabled it forever.
It's a shame, since TrackIR is really cool and immersive when it's well implemented.

jburrowes
x3ap

Post by jburrowes » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 01:49

Well one thing, of many, I like about AP is that I can tell my own ship to auto attack enemies. I'm not a big fan of endless space combat - turning every which way. Hopefully what you've described won't matter unless I'm doing the aiming myself. If it does, well, by mapping TrackIR's pause function to a button or key you can disable it during combat. Of course you'd have to look straight ahead before doing so - so it's helpful to have a bit of a dead spot at center so that it's not hard to pause it perfectly centered.
el_kazer wrote:Unfortunately TrackIR support is really poor in AP.
The main problem is that it moves the whole HUD around, including the boresight... so the slightest movement will throw off your aim, because you're not shooting where the boresight is pointing anymore.
I (and based on forum posts, most other TrackIR owners) tried it on for about 10 minutes and then disabled it forever.
It's a shame, since TrackIR is really cool and immersive when it's well implemented.
Thanks for reading,

JB

FluffyNinja
x2

Post by FluffyNinja » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 21:37

TrackIR in AP is good when you have a cockpit mod installed

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”