AAAAAG! /me lines up his PC with a sledge hammer...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Grimm

AAAAAG! /me lines up his PC with a sledge hammer...

Post by Grimm » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:05

Well, I've figured out that to run a call-in talk show on Pirate Radio, I am in need of a second pci card capable of supporting a mic. This means I need to go blow some dosh on either a PCI modem (NONONONONONONO!!) or another soundcard that *cannot* be a Soundblaster. This leaves me with a choice between shite and more shite.

That being said, unless I can conjure up a card that installs without argument within the next 24 hours or so, the State of the Cesspool Address will just be me ranting again this Friday. Next week, however, could be very different :)

/rant mode off :P

P88
x2

Post by P88 » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:07

your ranting is good enough :)

growly_person

Post by growly_person » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:14

Aureal soundcards used to be quite good, but don't know what the current crop are like. Got an old Vortex 2, but just had to pull it from machine and drop back to spare soundblaster 64 until I can get a new one, because the win 2k drivers don't work, only up to WinME :( It is a very good card

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:25

There's a thought - do you know if the Vortx is still retailed? I run Win 98 SE, so the drivers should be ok...

growly_person

Post by growly_person » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:34

IIRC correctly its not been retailed for some time, and having just looked at a few sites suggests that Creative bought them out around 3 years ago :( Doesn't leave much competition

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 00:42

Pointer88 wrote:your ranting is good enough :)
Tis' :) But still a call in show would be nice :( Duh!

-Wargod

UncleKnobby

Post by UncleKnobby » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 02:52

growly_person wrote:Aureal soundcards used to be quite good, but don't know what the current crop are like. Got an old Vortex 2, but just had to pull it from machine and drop back to spare soundblaster 64 until I can get a new one, because the win 2k drivers don't work, only up to WinME :( It is a very good card
Try. www.3dsoundsurge.com

They specialize in drivers for soundcards

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 08:43

Grimm wrote:There's a thought - do you know if the Vortx is still retailed? I run Win 98 SE, so the drivers should be ok...
Aureal went bust about four years ago, so no, they're not still on retail.

Since all you need this sound card for is voice, why are you worried about the quality? Just get yourself something like a Pine soundcard for £10 (or Amer-kin 'quivalent :-)). Incidentally, what soundcard do you CURRENTLY have? If it's a PCI soundcard then you should be able to use another one of the same make regardless of manufacture.

Grimm

Post by Grimm » Fri, 14. Feb 03, 08:51

Thanks Paul

It's been solved tonight, hopefully - I am going over to a friend's house to pick up the "dreaded" win-modem w/speakerphone.

Also - I have a Soundblaster Live 5.1, which tends to have issues with any other Soundblaster being installed in the same box - the drivers conflict.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”