[MOD] LR Scanner Pings v2.0

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[MOD] LR Scanner Pings v2.0

Post by Gazz » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 12:53

Long Range Scanner Ping Duration
  • The pings (circles) that highlight the scan results now remain for 18 seconds instead of 3.
That's a pretty short list of features but it's a nice quality-of-life upgrade because it's very easy to miss or overshoot a crate when it's effectively invisible by the time you have accelerated the ship.

I had been chasing that particular value for a few days but it was TerminalVelocity3DR who found it. =)

Installation

Extract the LR_Scanner_Duration.zip archive into

\Steam\steamapps\common\x_rebirth\extensions\

If there is no "extensions" folder, create one.

[ external image ] Download (ZIP)
Last edited by Gazz on Sat, 23. Nov 13, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 12:58

YAY! Thanks Gazz, and TerminalVelocity3DR.

Thor911

Post by Thor911 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 12:59

Awesome, this mod really looks good. I'll be using it as soon as I get home.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 13:07

thanks! Scaning was very frustrating without. Every little thing helps make this game a better experience :)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 13:48

can you upload it on the nexus?

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 13:48

MUCH better.

Scoob.

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 14:56

THANK YOU!

zone22
x3tc

Post by zone22 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 16:19

Quick suggestion, As nice as a long-range scanner is can be very frustrating to pick up what's useful and what's not especially in a dense area full of objects. Thinking of how mining asteroids are tagged and when you destroy ship how very close by missiles and such are tagged. Could you enable the taging system for the long-range scaner marking cargo, missiles, and abandoned ships? If that seems a little cheap, maybe not at its full range.

Depechenova

Post by Depechenova » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 20:59

Thank you , yay :D . Its like Christmas has came along. I asked santa, I have been really good this year, honestly :roll: . great mod, works a treat and still keeps the immersion . thanks again :D

nightspore333
x3tc

Post by nightspore333 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:37

As always, good work. However, I found that using the police scanner, only certain pings get extended. Neither of the 2 "blue" pings which seem to denote more lucrative crates and which crates are closest are affected by your mod. Not a really big deal, but it's a bit odd seeing those disappear quickly while others don't.

Nomenluni

Post by Nomenluni » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 21:56

how easy would it be to make it so that crates in space are extremely rare?

I like the idea of scanning for crates but I think its too easy as it is.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 22:15

nightspore333 wrote:As always, good work. However, I found that using the police scanner, only certain pings get extended. Neither of the 2 "blue" pings which seem to denote more lucrative crates and which crates are closest are affected by your mod. Not a really big deal, but it's a bit odd seeing those disappear quickly while others don't.
I haven't encountered any of those, yet, so I didn't notice.

Last time I was looking there were 3 qualities of stuff so maybe it's just the others that need to be added.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

wwdragon
x4

Re: [MOD] LR Scanner Pings

Post by wwdragon » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 00:08

Gazz wrote: it's a nice quality-of-life upgrade because it's very easy to miss or overshoot a crate when it's effectively invisible by the time you have accelerated the ship.
I agree. Thanks! :)

Also.... Mars for Rebirth? :-3
Editing posts since long before I remember.

heman1987

Post by heman1987 » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 05:15

zone22 wrote:Quick suggestion, As nice as a long-range scanner is can be very frustrating to pick up what's useful and what's not especially in a dense area full of objects. Thinking of how mining asteroids are tagged and when you destroy ship how very close by missiles and such are tagged. Could you enable the taging system for the long-range scaner marking cargo, missiles, and abandoned ships? If that seems a little cheap, maybe not at its full range.
It does not seem cheap at all. In fact it seems more believable, that far into the future and they are still using SONAR I mean wth.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 07:47

heman1987 wrote:
zone22 wrote:Quick suggestion, As nice as a long-range scanner is can be very frustrating to pick up what's useful and what's not especially in a dense area full of objects. Thinking of how mining asteroids are tagged and when you destroy ship how very close by missiles and such are tagged. Could you enable the taging system for the long-range scaner marking cargo, missiles, and abandoned ships? If that seems a little cheap, maybe not at its full range.
It does not seem cheap at all. In fact it seems more believable, that far into the future and they are still using SONAR I mean wth.
I agree... This sounds Awesome! If possible, it would make this little mod Perfect!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

TerminalVelocity3DR
x3tc

Post by TerminalVelocity3DR » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 11:41

Ohayo everyone.

Yeah, the other pings from the better scanners are probably "_best_" and "_better_", in the same folder.

I only use the "standard" scanners, so that's my fault. You'd just have to change all of the "result" files and also change them inside the "effects.xml".

Strangely, the "normal" scanner results are called "good" and inside the effects.xml, they are called "bad" :-/

But I suggest adding all of the results.

Effects.xml:
scfx_result_good_01
scfx_result_neutral_01
scfx_result_bad_01

Files in "fx/":
scfx_result_best_01.xml
scfx_result_better_01.xml
scfx_result_good_01.xml
scfx_result_valuable_01.xml*

Valuable is quoted out in the "effects.xml", so I'd say it is unneeded.

I'll test it once I have time to change them all.

Important is that you keep the base values and just multiply them by 6 or 10. I'd go for 10, just to have a nice long time, but since the Scanner works like a sonar, it'd be better to re-ping it, and have a shorter time, 6x I'd say.

*Edit*
And many thanks for the man Gazz for uploading it :)
Last edited by TerminalVelocity3DR on Sat, 23. Nov 13, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

TerminalVelocity3DR
x3tc

Post by TerminalVelocity3DR » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 11:57

I set it to 10x the Duration, it seems to be the best solution, considering you use it for containers mostly - with moving objects the problem remains, as it works like a sonar: it shows the old location, so for static objects its perfect. but for moving ships, not that helpful.

Maybe we can put a "repeat" into the animations? To repeat it like say, 10 times, with a pause of 3 seconds each? That'd be like a real-life sonar, at least. Anyway, here is ze code:

scfx_result_best_01

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<diff>
	<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_best_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/animations">
		<animations>
			<animation name="playonce" start="1" end="1500"/>
		</animations>
	 </replace>

<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_best_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/parts/part[@name='anim_nova']/uv_animations/uv_animation[@mapchannel='1']/uv_property[@name='u_offset']">
		<uv_property name="u_offset" controller="linear_float">
			<key frame="0" value="0"/>
			<key frame="10" value="0.15"/>
			<key frame="1500" value="0.23"/>
		</uv_property>
	 </replace>
</diff>
scfx_result_better_01

<diff>
	<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_better_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/animations">
		<animations>
			<animation name="playonce" start="1" end="1200"/>
		</animations>
	 </replace>

<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_better_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/parts/part[@name='anim_nova']/uv_animations/uv_animation[@mapchannel='1']/uv_property[@name='u_offset']">
			<key frame="15" value="0.15"/>
			<key frame="1200" value="0.25"/>
		</uv_property>
	 </replace>
</diff>
scfx_result_good_01

<diff>
	<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_good_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/animations">
		<animations>
			<animation name="playonce" start="1" end="900"/>
		</animations>
	 </replace>

<replace sel="/components/component[@name='scfx_result_good_01']/connections/connection[@name='Connection01']/parts/part[@name='anim_nova']/uv_animations/uv_animation[@mapchannel='1']/uv_property[@name='u_offset']">
			<key frame="10" value="0.15"/>
			<key frame="900" value="0.25"/>
		</uv_property>
	 </replace>
</diff>
Effects.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<diff>
  <replace sel="/effects/effect[@name='scfx_result_good_01']/elements/element[@id='1']/@duration"> 
 </replace>

<replace sel="/effects/effect[@name='scfx_result_neutral_01']/elements/element[@id='1']/@duration"> 
 </replace>

<replace sel="/effects/effect[@name='scfx_result_bad_01']/elements/element[@id='1']/@duration"> 
 </replace>
</diff>

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 12:49

TerminalVelocity3DR wrote:And many thanks for the man Gazz for uploading it :)
Pfft. You did all the heavy lifting. Ya just don't want to do the support for a mod! (which I can understand =)

Download updated.

Personally I think that the timer is a bit long. 18s was close to perfect, IMO, maybe should be somewhere around 25s. I don't see the value in a 50s err... value. =)
But since I can always change it if I don't like it...

TerminalVelocity3DR
x3tc

Post by TerminalVelocity3DR » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 13:21

Yeah, just need to make sure to get the correct standard values for each entry.

I multiplied by 10, so just divide by 10 and then use your own value.

OR, or: you could make a uniform value, as the other colors (blue and gold?) are displaying shorter than the grey "unindentified" ring that comes up.... but I dont know if thats true, at least the framecounter for the others is lower (a bit), and I've never seen a blue indicator from the police scanner yet.

But at least we are going forward with nice steps, I'm liking the game more and more, just thanks to the modability.

Thx for uploading, again :)

infinitywulf
x3

Post by infinitywulf » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 23:37

Very nice, was hoing this would be a mod in the making. Personally I agree that the only thing that would make it better is say crates and lootables being "tagged" in some manner. Oh how I miss the old maps where you could actually tell what was in the area... :roll:

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”