[MOD] 3D Vision Fix

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mike_ar69
x4

[MOD] 3D Vision Fix

Post by mike_ar69 » Wed, 27. Nov 13, 07:01

This game looks pretty good out the box in 3D Vision, but has a couple of problems. I've done a few shader fixes using the -=helix=- DLL to correct these issues until/if Egosoft have the time:
- Pushes all box markers and icons etc into depth so they are not at 2d screen depth anymore
- Provides a separate depth setting for markers and info icons.
- Can now change convergence to higher values and the cockpit remains in place
- Provides two hotkey settings (key "9") for convergence (outside the cockpit)
- Convergence can be changed to any value and saved to these presets
- Provides Toggle (key "0") to show and hide cockpit - this allows even higher convergence and is nice to fly around and look at the universe unimpeded.
- Added extra toggle key (key "8") to enable or disable the cockpit fixes so it does not affect walking around when landed on a station. This also moves the markers and icons on people to a lower depth for when walking around, and also sets the convergence back to a low value so it's tolerable (in case a high value had been used for flying around and was forgotten about).
- Provides a fix for SLI users that may be experiencing lighting rendering issues (yellow environmental lighting that is turned on with medium or high shaders). I had this but did not want to reduce the shader level to low and make the game look crap just to correct one rendering issue. This fix disables that one rendering problem.

The fix is not perfect (3D fixes rarely are) but it makes the game playable (with 2D icons and markers at screen depth it was pretty unplayable for me), and the cockpit toggle on and off allows you to fly through space and see stuff.

NOTE: the cockpit toggle works in 2D mode well, you don't need to have any 3D hardware for it. So you could use this mod just for that.

Known issues:
1. Mouse cursor is at 2D depth. I can't find any shaders that affect this. I don't play with mouse (just keyboard and controller) so it does not bother me, but may be a show stopper for others.
2. Mouselook seems to stop working when walking around space stations. Keyboard and controller still work.
3. Some shaders affect many textures, and I have noticed a few rendering anomalies with very close up objects when the cockpit is hidden. I will fix these as I see them, but it only happens if you literally ram into things with the cockpit hidden.

The fix can be found here:

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/11/x- ... s-fix.html

Installation instructions are provided there. This is a shader fix, and installation is just copying files to the games exe directory - no game files are overwritten, deleted or changed. Uninstallation is simply a matter of deleting the files installed. This mod will not affect save games or cause any problems because it is not a mod that is installed to the extensions folder or which modifies games assets in any way. It works the same way that ENB or SweetFX work, if that helps to understand it.

Given the current state of bugs and crashes with the game, I have not noticed any additional issues with this fix at all, and there is zero impact on performance. That being said, as with any mod (and especially one for a game that is kinda still very buggy), use this at your own risk - just a disclaimer to cover myself.

Finally, and to be clear, this fix only works with Nvidia cards, because it is a 3D Vision mod.

Thanks to -=Helix=- for the debug and injector dll tools that make this fix possible.

xmindsoul

Post by xmindsoul » Wed, 27. Nov 13, 13:25

It's really nice to see you here, Mike!

Flying in space is like a dream now.

Love the new fixes. Thank you!

mike_ar69
x4

Post by mike_ar69 » Wed, 27. Nov 13, 16:07

Your welcome, glad you like it :-)

NuZalem
x3ap

Post by NuZalem » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 05:01

What about those with AMD cards? Are they going to be left out?

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 15:02

I installed this latest fix. Being able to adjust convergence outside of cockpit is a godsend. Whilst I play with kb/mouse, the other resulting issues with this fix aren't too bad really. Thanks again

BazzaLB
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

betc
x3ap

Post by betc » Mon, 2. Dec 13, 01:09

Top stuff Mike, damn good looking in 3D
i7, 1080 ti, 4k, win10

binev
x3tc

3D Mouse Fix

Post by binev » Mon, 10. Feb 14, 18:37

Hi guys, Has anyone managed to find a fix with the mouse on stations at all.
A great mod works fantastic and looks great too but i just cant use a controller so if i cant fix it it will have to go and that will make me very sad,
I have found a post on Helix Mod:X rebirth 3D vision fix, from a mike ar69 ,who said he found a fix by updating the DLL file from Nvidea Forum but havn"t been able to find it myself, Hoping someone has more time and luck than me to find it, would be a god send to this mod if someone could find it guys, Cheers

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 20:10

I'm sorry for necroing this rather old thread :oops:, but I've come up with a fix for the mouse problem that may still be of interest for people who wants to play with 3d vision (and Helix Mod) with keyboard+mouse:

You just need to add the line "InitMouse = false" under the [General] section of the file DX9Settings.ini that you should have in the root folder of the game if you are using the Helix Mod, and voilà, mouse look working again :)

While searching for a solution, I stumbled upon another page on the Helix blogspot about Kerbal Space Program, where a user wrote about that fix (seems that KSP had the same problem)...luckily, it seems to work also for Rebirth :D (whitout collateral effects, at least for what I have tested so far)...I find there's quite some lag looking around compared to the original, but it's still a lot better than having your view completely locked!

By the way, the game is really an experience to try in 3d (even with passive "interlaced" 3d as in my case, it's still awesome to "feel" there's a bulky cockpit around you, a glass in front, and an entire room behind)...and on top of it, walking on the bridge of your capital with the awesome Litauen's mod, with the new holo screens just added, and feeling all the depth around you, leaves without words :o

D.O.S.
x4

Post by D.O.S. » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 21:10

@Aken_Bosch

Thanks for that Info Works a treat :)
OS:MS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Cpu: AMD-FX Piledriver 8350 @4.0Ghz / Mb:GA-990FXA-UD3 / Memory:16Gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical @1866
Gpu:Gigabyte Nvidia 770GTX 4GB GDDR5 / Storage:Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB System, WD Caviar Green 2TB HD Data & Games / Display:24" Asus VG248 1920 x 1080 @144Hz + Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
Input Devices:Razer Deathstalker / Razer Oruoboros / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / BroadBand:EE 4GEE MobileBroadBand (50Gb PCM)

Rubini
xr

Post by Rubini » Mon, 5. Mar 18, 13:30

I'm sorry for necroing this thread...but only recently I acquired a 3d monitor, so...mike_ar69 are you yet here?

The fix is very good and yet works well even on XR 4.30. XR in real 3d environment is another game, awesome!

Only two problems: the big ships engines glow and mouse cursor that are not at the correct depth. The engines glow issue i can live with but the mouse issue is more limiting because when you are at a fight or trying to select something in cockpit view the mouse cursor is at wrong place. Any idea how to fix the mouse depth? I'm asking because Helix wrapper/3dmigoto have gain advances since you made the fix...Perhaps some new feature can fix it.

Thanks by this awesome fix!
Thanks in any advice!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”