Possible Litcube's Universe Release

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Krystoficus

Post by Krystoficus » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 03:59

So does that mean this mod wont be released? If so that's too bad. I've been waiting for this mod to try X3 again. I guess I'll be uninstalling the game for a while.

Sinnerman49
x3

Post by Sinnerman49 » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 06:19

I really hope this isn't dead.....

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 15:57

What the heck was that?

It's the most anticlimactic thing I've seen for a long time. This thing won't the released because of a few tracks and models?!

The author hyped everybody for half the thread with videos and screenshots and spent the other half searching for excuses why not to release it.

Just what was the point?

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 16:20

Boringnick wrote:What the heck was that?

It's the most anticlimactic thing I've seen for a long time. This thing won't the released because of a few tracks and models?!

The author hyped everybody for half the thread with videos and screenshots and spent the other half searching for excuses why not to release it.

Just what was the point?
If you think people are acting logical, then I'll have to deeply deeply dissapoint you, bro.....they're NOT!

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 18:02

The hype was an effort to attract some investors to assist with the project.

Soul0Reaper
x3ap

Post by Soul0Reaper » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 20:02

I'm new to this game and this looks like a pretty cool comprehensive mod. Why not just host it on a file sharing site and then just wait for a take down request? Given that all the people who mod games aim to make it better, I don't see why anyone would have an issue.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 20:50

Soul0Reaper wrote:Why not just host it on a file sharing site and then just wait for a take down request?
I'm choosing not to go against another author's wishes. Mox doesn't want his models used in any other mod aside from XTC. I'm assuming you didn't know that before you asked that question.

To be honest, I don't even know if Mox's ships are used in my mod! It'd be hilarious if they weren't.

Wanna hear my rant?

Here's the thing: There was a lack of people willing to contribute with identification assistance. Everyone has time to consume, play, discard. But only two people stepped to the plate when asked to actually put real time into it. I think that's the only frustration I have here; lots asking to consume, and only two willing to help. Frustration is definitely not with any modders who want to keep work to themselves. I'm definitely not one of them (and neither is KJ as he offered his sweet platforms), but I can understand where they're coming from.

All us forumers have flaws. And mine's pretty evident on these forums. I have a lack of patience for those who aren't willing to help themselves, or folks who ask for stuff and aren't willing to elbow grease their way to getting it. You can see my dearth of replies around these parts to all those requests that just required reading the first post, or otherwise asking a question that they really could answer themselves, or folks asking for tweaks of the modification that would only benefit themselves (I don't know how Paul Wheeler does it). Most annoyingly, these "can you build me this ship? I saw it on this show on the sci-fi channel, and I don't have any experience in modeling lolz, can u build it for me?" I think those piss me off the most, and I'm not even a modeller. I was happy to see those posts were all stuffed into the same thread, akin to unwanted Christmas gifts tossed in an old burlap sack and stuffed in a dusty attic. Two dudes even had the balls to bypass this request for help and PM me to have LU wired to them privately. Seriously?

Here's my stance on this Litcube Universe thing:

I didn't build this for the community when I started it several years ago. If I had, I would have started tracking from where my assets came from the beginning. And probably implemented them as I received permission. But that's not how this played out. This was just my hobby project which was built for fun when I got together with the XTL guys to diddle with X3. So while I could, if identified, rip the music tracks out and take the ships out (of Tships, objects\, jobs, galaxy map, templates), I just have no interest in doing that. I already have the mod, and I'm playing it. This thread was started to see if folks wanted to help make it compatible for public domain. First in identification, and second, if it came to it, for modifying it for release (take out tracks and ships). One kind and capable soul was willing to help with the tracks and was on his was to replacing all of them, but after a month or so, the ship ID was stalled, and then a KJ informed us of Mox's request. So it just didn't look like it was going to happen. So instead of keeping this thread open, I just asked for a lock.

I hope that answers your question, Boringnick. And Nicoman, I hope it brings logic to my otherwise illogical behaviour.

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:09

Litcube wrote:Here's the thing: There was a lack of people willing to contribute with identification assistance. Everyone has time to consume, play, discard. But only two people stepped to the plate when asked to actually put real time into it. I think that's the only frustration I have here; lots asking to consume, and only two willing to help.
Modding is a thankless job. I know that - I've spent some huge effort on a project once (different game), most "customers" (players) were thankless bastards who only complained.

But so what, playing the diva with this helps no one. Frankly, you should have never started this thread in the first place and making everyone hot. You're stripping half-naked in front of the forum for two months and you get all grumpy when the public finally wants to see all the goods. Just delete the tracks and the models and put it online, there is a good chance the community will plug through it (why are you even making such a fuss out of the assets? Are you expecting some other modder will sue you or something? The most severe thing that could happen is another modder asking for removal of the asset in the next version - most likely they would be content with having their names in the readme though)

What do you have to lose? Is withholding it some kind of revenge on the ungrateful public, after heating them all up?

It's not like modding is copyrightable in the first place - just put it online with the disclaimer, that you didn't ask permission for the assets. The assets will be deleted if the original makers ask for it. Use it at your own risk bla bla bla.
Last edited by Boringnick on Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:16

Litcube wrote:Here's the thing: There was a lack of people willing to contribute with identification assistance. Everyone has time to consume, play, discard. But only two people stepped to the plate when asked to actually put real time into it.
To be fair most of the ships that were pictured were identified.

Without having access to pictures of the questionable ships it makes identifying them impossible....

Litcube wrote:To be honest, I don't even know if Mox's ships are used in my mod! It'd be hilarious if they weren't.
Of the ten ships that were pictured for identification, four of these were ships given to XTC by Mox with his proviso...

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:25

@Dilll: True, they were identified. But Vayde had a long ways to go before they were done. I hope he's ok!
Boringnick wrote:Just delete the tracks and the models and put it online
Folks, we have a volunteer!

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:35

Litcube wrote:
Boringnick wrote:Just delete the tracks and the models and put it online
Folks, we have a volunteer!
I would, but I have no experience modding X3 at all.

I admit it - I am in this forum searching for new mods to play, not modifying them. Selfish I know.

Anyway - are the models even that important? As far as I see, it's not the models that got everyone ecstatic, but the extended scripts and commands of your mod.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 21:45

Boringnick wrote: Anyway - are the models even that important? As far as I see, it's not the models that got everyone ecstatic, but the extended scripts and commands of your mod.

No, I suppose they're not. But who's going to remove them?

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 22:02

Litcube wrote:
Boringnick wrote: Anyway - are the models even that important? As far as I see, it's not the models that got everyone ecstatic, but the extended scripts and commands of your mod.

No, I suppose they're not. But who's going to remove them?
I have no idea about X3 modding, but can't you just delete them all? I guess all the models are in a specific file or folder?

I guess the mod won't run then, but this can be fixed by others later, and most interest is about the scripts anyway.

Teronredoran
x3tc

Post by Teronredoran » Wed, 29. Jan 14, 23:43

I'm with the crowd of "If I knew what to do I'd help, but I'm clueless when modding X3". Unfortunatly I think most modders have either moved on, or are working on their own projects. That said, just want to say that I think it's sheer lack of knowledge on modding that's the problem with getting volunteers rather than people with the will to help out.

What I know I probably can do is if I had a list of the models that were used, I could attempt to search the web for new models that could be used to replace them (model making is one thing I HAVE tried personally and know it's not my skill). Obviously not a list of the devs of ships and such since that's been such a problem, but if there was a full screenshot library that shows what ships are currently accepted and what ships need to be replaced, that would let us help you.
"That's what I'd look like if I was badass" Friend on seeing Dr Who for the first time.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 00:11

Well, I can certainly respect the position Litcube is in. When you make a mod for your own enjoyment and incorporate ideas from other authors without planning on releasing it really makes it difficult to release it several years after the fact.

Part of me wishes we could convince Litcube that no one would be upset at having a few models, lines of code, or sound tracks uncredited or used against the authors intent, but the reality is that people do get upset when their work is used without permission. Even my own code has license restrictions which I expect to see followed if distributed to others.

Litcube, not releasing it is the right thing to do if it can't be done right. Sad though we all may be to hear it. I was really looking forward to seeing this mod next month since I heard that soundtracks were all the remained, but if some last minute discoveries point to a long road ahead that you can't walk alone then well... so be it.

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 00:31

zanzal wrote:Part of me wishes we could convince Litcube that no one would be upset at having a few models, lines of code, or sound tracks uncredited or used against the authors intent, but the reality is that people do get upset when their work is used without permission. Even my own code has license restrictions which I expect to see followed if distributed to others.
As far as I see, the issue is only about some tracks and models, not code.

Most interest about the mod is about the code though as far as I can see.

So, just release the object of interest at least: The code.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 00:58

Boringnick wrote:
zanzal wrote:Part of me wishes we could convince Litcube that no one would be upset at having a few models, lines of code, or sound tracks uncredited or used against the authors intent, but the reality is that people do get upset when their work is used without permission. Even my own code has license restrictions which I expect to see followed if distributed to others.

We have explained this already, one cant exist without the other. Releasing "The code" without the rest of the mod would be completely worthless to everyone, it just doesn't work that way.

There is far more too the code then just simple scripts, scripts are only the tip of the iceberg, and the scripts themselves wont even work in the vanilla game (literately, they wont load)
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:13

Jack08 wrote:
Boringnick wrote:

We have explained this already, one cant exist without the other. Releasing "The code" without the rest of the mod would be completely worthless to everyone, it just doesn't work that way.

There is far more too the code then just simple scripts, scripts are only the tip of the iceberg, and the scripts themselves wont even work in the vanilla game (literately, they wont load)
Then release the mod, just without the all models.

Why isn't it possible to delete all the custom models from the mod? Somewhere the mesh files are stored, right?

Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:18

Boringnick wrote:Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.
I like the guy who said "don't release it unless it's done right".

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 30. Jan 14, 01:21

Litcube wrote:
Boringnick wrote:Such a cleaned construct will of course crash and all, but someone could fix it later by adding other models and assets.
I like the guy who said "don't release it unless it's done right".
But it looks like you don't want to release it at all.

A fixable work-in-progress release is better than no release.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”