[Discussion] Rebirth Tools

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ybeline
x4

Post by ybeline » Sun, 25. May 14, 21:06

Ketraar wrote:I just format/c&p and post them here and on steam.
What I meant by asking is: was I blind not finding this marvellous "refreshmd" command or is it new to public?

Regards,

ybeline

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 25. May 14, 22:31

Its new (since 2.0), so no you were not blind.

MFG

Ketraar

ybeline
x4

Post by ybeline » Sun, 25. May 14, 23:23

Ketraar wrote:Its new (since 2.0), so no you were not blind.
Well then, send devs my thanks, for it's now possible to test mod code almost in real time! It's so practical and I'm already using it right now: it's definitely a must :)

By any chance, wouldn't you be hiding some other shiny modding commands under your cloak? I'd love to be able to trigger a library or a cue manually :P

Anyway, thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

ybeline

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 29. May 14, 08:12

I notice the Workshop mod preview image won't update. It stopped working.

Initially, I was able to upload the mod along with an image to the Workshop fine. I was able to update the image a few more times with no problem.

Then, it just stopped updating the image. I've updated the entire mod a few times and I'm tried to update only the image, but it (image) stays the same.

For update the entire mod I'm using:

Code: Select all

WorkshopTool update -path "..\X Rebirth\extensions\mymod" -preview "..\X Rebirth\extensions\mymod\preview.jpg" -buildcat -changenote "some changes"
And for update the image alone I'm using:

Code: Select all

WorkshopTool updatepreview -path "..\X Rebirth\extensions\mymod" -preview "..\X Rebirth\extensions\mymod\preview.jpg" -changenote "image update"
Has anyone else had problems with the preview image not updating?

Thanks

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 4. Jun 14, 10:03

This seems to be an issue on Steam's end of things and according to reports not exclusive to X Rebirth's workshop. Not much more info on it I'm afraid.

MFG

Ketraar

Atrocious

Post by Atrocious » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 00:16

Very odd problem with the preview. Not only is it not possible to change the preview image on upload, it will also take the image from another mod.

The preview image for my second mod was automatically replaced by the preview image of my first mod, when I first uploaded it. It's also not possible to change and it's not possible to delete the image on the steam website. I'll write steam support.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 20:11

I suppose this is an issue on Steam's end, but perhaps there is a workaround (which could also indicate what the cause of the problem is). So far I haven't experienced the problem myself.

Please look at the properties of "X Rebirth Tools" and go to the Updates tab. Does it say "0 bytes stored" in the Steam Cloud section, or is there another value? It should be 0 bytes while the WorkshopTool is not running.

How do you start the WorkshopTool? Do you run it through Steam by "playing" X Rebirth Tools, or directly on the command line? Perhaps that makes a difference due to cloud-sync, so far I've always started through Steam.

Perhaps it helps if you delete the folders "ugc" and "ugcmsgcache" in Steam\userdata\<account-id> and restart Steam before updating the preview image.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 20:20

Atrocious wrote:Very odd problem with the preview. Not only is it not possible to change the preview image on upload, it will also take the image from another mod.

The preview image for my second mod was automatically replaced by the preview image of my first mod, when I first uploaded it. It's also not possible to change and it's not possible to delete the image on the steam website. I'll write steam support.
I had the exact same problem this morning. I uploaded a new mod, and it inherited the preview image from my first mod - just as you say. Furthermore, I have been unable to change the preview image for my original mod.

Here is the solution which Klaus indicated might be the problem:
How do you start the WorkshopTool? Do you run it through Steam by "playing" X Rebirth Tools, or directly on the command line? Perhaps that makes a difference due to cloud-sync, so far I've always started through Steam.
I had been running the tool from a command prompt. This worked fine for publishing and updates of the mod itself, but for some reason, not the preview image. As soon as I started launching the tool through Steam, everything started working properly!

Thanks.

Atrocious

Post by Atrocious » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 20:43

KlausM wrote: Please look at the properties of "X Rebirth Tools" and go to the Updates tab. Does it say "0 bytes stored" in the Steam Cloud section, or is there another value? It should be 0 bytes while the WorkshopTool is not running.
It says "0 bytes stored" when the tool is not running.
KlausM wrote: How do you start the WorkshopTool? Do you run it through Steam by "playing" X Rebirth Tools, or directly on the command line? Perhaps that makes a difference due to cloud-sync, so far I've always started through Steam.
When updatepreview wasn't working I had opened the tool through cmd. Now I have tried to start it through steam and it worked!

Thanks Klaus!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 1. Jan 15, 02:42

just noticed this Comment in the jobs.xml
<!-- Maximum example, please also see documentation https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AY1U ... czdw&hl=de -->
and, as i thought when trying the link, this Document needs Permission to be viewed.. would be great if you could make it available for anyone, i bet there are some interesting things in there :)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Mad_Joker
x3

WorkshopTool question

Post by Mad_Joker » Sat, 17. Jan 15, 12:37

Hi,

just a short question about the workshop tool. I am currently experiencing a bug where the tool will upload the wrong preview image. I am using the "updatepreview" command and the tool shows the correct image path, but what ends up in the workshop is the preview image from another mod I just uploaded. I read that for other games this could be due to the preview file being copied somewhere before an upload and then the file not being properly overwritten when publishing another mod. However, when monitoring the WorkshopTool.exe I can't see it writing any temporary files.

Has anyone here experienced similar issues and maybe knows a solution?

Cheers,
MJ

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 17. Jan 15, 15:53

Merged with Tools discussion topic.

A few posts above is some mention of similar issue.

MFG

Ketraar

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 17. Jan 15, 19:58

I had a very similar problem. One of the things indicated in the previous post Ketraar referenced, was running X Rebirth tools directly from Steam. That cleared the problem. After that and since, I run the tool directly from Local exe with no further problems. Seems in my case, it was some sort of Steam glitch that cleared by running from Steam that one time.

Mad_Joker
x3

Post by Mad_Joker » Sat, 17. Jan 15, 21:35

Observe wrote:I had a very similar problem. One of the things indicated in the previous post Ketraar referenced, was running X Rebirth tools directly from Steam. That cleared the problem. After that and since, I run the tool directly from Local exe with no further problems. Seems in my case, it was some sort of Steam glitch that cleared by running from Steam that one time.
Thanks Observe. Running the Tools from within steam has indeed solved the issue.

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Sun, 1. Mar 15, 15:06

the WorkshopTool seems to not consider contributor status when updating a mod. I'm marked as a contributor, not creator, of a mod I wanted to update and got "ERROR: Workshop item can only be updated by creator". seems like a bug to me, a contributor who can only change decription of a mod is no contributor imo

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Mon, 9. Mar 15, 15:19

Phipsz wrote:the WorkshopTool seems to not consider contributor status when updating a mod. I'm marked as a contributor, not creator, of a mod I wanted to update and got "ERROR: Workshop item can only be updated by creator". seems like a bug to me, a contributor who can only change decription of a mod is no contributor imo
Apparently uploads by contributors are not fully supported by Steam yet. This may change at some point, but for now only the original creator can update the content.

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 12:00

Thanks for the info! Then I'll just hope Valve will fix this issue soon

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 12:21

So there is no way one person can take over a mod after the original creator retired?

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 13:42

oliverjanda wrote:So there is no way one person can take over a mod after the original creator retired?
It is not possible to change the creator of a mod, so no. you would have to repost the mod with a different name then. contributing to a mod is different though, as the creator is still active but allows a contributor to update the mod without sending the updates to the creator that (s)he may update the mod. that is the feature the steam API is currently missing. changing ownership would definitely not be part of the workshoptool discussed here, as that would need to be part of the workshop itself. contributors can be added to a mod on steam workshop, but aparently the API does not allow the workshoptool to handle contributors

oliverjanda
xr

Post by oliverjanda » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 14:04

Too bad! I considered adopting an abandoned mod but reposting is kind of unfortunate.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”