PPC is a LED?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spero
x3

PPC is a LED?

Post by Spero » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:21

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Photon Pulse Cannon a blinking LED or mebye a torch?

:lol:

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:23

Also, alpha particles are stopped by a sheet of paper, and beta particles by a kit-kat wrapper or something.

Don't ask questions! :D

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:24

Yeah, but the guns don't fire alpha particles etc, it's just a name. I did some research at school and found that we are all strapping flashlights to our destroyers and causing a mild annoyance to our deadly opposition?

:P :lol:

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:27

Blinking light of any kind actually.

My favourite bit of dodgy science is magnetic friction.

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:29

So "photon pulse cannon" is not just a name???

It sounds cool. Don't diss. :)

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:31

Captain of Argon One "They are getting the upper hand! Turn 90 degrees and expose the rear flashlight! And when they're realing from that, do a full 180 and give them some of the main cannon blinking spotlight!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:32

iatedeath MK II wrote:Captain of Argon One "They are getting the upper hand! Turn 90 degrees and expose the rear flashlight! And when they're realing from that, do a full 180 and give them some of the main cannon blinking spotlight!"
"Dipped headlights aren't working, captain!"

"There's nothing else for it. Switch to full beam."

"But sir - we'll dazzle him!"

"JUST DO IT, PRIVATE JONES!"

:D

anyway since when did energy weapons of any kind have science behind them? your high-energy particle bullet things travel dead slowly for a couple of hundred metres and then just... dissipate! WTF?

However it forces you to dogfight with other ships, and thus makes the game better than Frontier: Elite II where you fired lines at moving dots travelling at billions of miles an hour and never ever ever hit anything! :D
Last edited by Silentz on Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:32

Silentz wrote:So "photon pulse cannon" is not just a name???
Photon = light particle
Pulse = flashing, blinking etc
Cannon = any kind of launcher

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:33

iatedeath MK II wrote:Captain of Argon One "They are getting the upper hand! Turn 90 degrees and expose the rear flashlight! And when they're realing from that, do a full 180 and give them some of the main cannon blinking spotlight!"
Quick everyone MOON at them - that'll get them running :lol:

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:34

Silentz wrote:anyway since when did energy weapons of any kind have science behind them? your high-energy particle bullet things travel dead slowly for a couple of hundred metres and then just... dissipate! WTF?

However it forces you to dogfight with other ships, and thus makes the game better than Frontier: Elite II where you fired lines at moving dots travelling at billions of miles an hour and never ever ever hit anything!
Attenuation I believe it's called.

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:38

iatedeath MK II wrote:
Silentz wrote:So "photon pulse cannon" is not just a name???
Photon = light particle
Pulse = flashing, blinking etc
Cannon = any kind of launcher
Yeah yeah i understand what you're getting at. I was saying that in the same way, an Alpha Particle Accelerator Cannon would be about as useful as a bit of cheese in a spaceship fight.

Mind you thats about right!

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:41

I'm not up to date on nuclear physics. Aren't gamma particles the deadly only-stopped-by-lots-of-lead ones?

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:44

Yeah. They're the least damaging, but they pass though stuff. Unlike alpha particles which (if they hit) are the most damaging (cos they are the heaviest) but can be stopped by paper, or a badly placed oxygen molecule.

Anyway what is this a science class? :o

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:49

You never know. We might start talking about the amount of energy required to accelerate a particle to the speed of light.

Kalador
x2

Post by Kalador » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:51

I have a feeling that the Alpha, beta, and Gamma, are nothing to do with radiation types (it's worth noting that the description of the HEPT is the only one that mentions actual radiation) and are purely for 'numerical' value, taken from the greek of course.

as for the PPC, if you had enough Photon's it'd cause a pretty potent thump when it hit something :) though, as someone pointed out, it'd also travel about 300,000 kms/sec faster...

Still, who said X was even remotely based on our physics? :)

Frontier was, but combat in that really was... well... nothing. So I think a bit of creative physics was needed as far as combat went for the X series.

For X2 though, I was (and still am) puzzled as to why they have these laser towers, but NO-ONE has ever mounted one on a ship?

Rasczak
x2

Post by Rasczak » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:53

I like the Ion cannons best, they shoot a streem of ions (which are the same as normal attoms exept that they have a slightly different number of electrons), and then ignite them causing lighting, which conviniently seeks its target and jumps around to other ships too.

Well, firstly ions are matter, not energy, so they'd need ammo just like the mass driver, secondly, an 'ion beam' would be like firing a stream of salty water (Na+ & Cl- ions in water), and then stetting fire to it is supposed to cause lightning?.

The moral of this story: don't believe that everything game designers dream up as interestingly scientific names for their exotic weapons has an actual basis in fact :D

vuohi
x4

Post by vuohi » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:54

well... plasma is a gas... kinda hard to shoot a gas out a gun... but hey I LOVE sci-fi

:lol:

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 17:57

Technically you can't make balls out of light, so the PPCs should in fact either be renamed to Particle Projection Cannons, or just made into proper damn guns rather than radioactive popcorn shooters.

The Particle Accelerators are viable, although again they would be a stream of particles not a ball, this is because the particles must be accelerated to a massive speed, you'd be more likely to get a stream.

The HEPTs are completely bollocks, plasma burns out extremely quickly, especially in the coldness of space, either they should have a much much shorter range, or, they should be the most powerful weapons in the game.

When you ionise something, you cause physical damage (by breaking apart structures as atoms become attracted to each other in different ways) as well as electrical. So that's the IDs out of the window too.

In fact the only weapons that make sense are the Mass Driver and Phased Shockwave Generator.

X-Morgan
x4

Post by X-Morgan » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 18:02

Wouldnt the Alpha particles be stopped by nothing in space, cos space is a vacuum bar the few Hydrogen every Cubic KM, so, the particles wouldnt hit anything so would just travel straight forward.

I was just wondering, what happens when Alpha, or Beta particles are absorbed
I mean they just dont dissappear!
Something must happen to them.

Do they just ionise the material and then the Alpha becomes Helium and the Beta becomes part of the electron cloud???
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world" - NERV Motto

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 18:08

Remembering my basic chemistry, they are absorbed and re-emitted as something else, as energy cannot be destroyed. I can't remember what they're re-emitted as mind.
Alpha radiation might travel through space unhindered, but as soon as it hits the intended target it's stopped dead before it can penetrate armour/shields to cause further damage, so pretty pointless.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”