SETA 1000% doubleplus ungood?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Barleyman
x3

SETA 1000% doubleplus ungood?

Post by Barleyman » Sat, 21. Dec 13, 23:19

Is it?

Some people say it'll make scripts misbehave but.. That was years and years ago.

Is it still an issue?

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 21. Dec 13, 23:36

Egosoft has never really updated their engine, so yes, it's still an issue. You shouldn't change the default setting (600).

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 22. Dec 13, 02:34

It depends on your computer, your game, and how you use it.

Used sparingly, like to help get to the next station a bit quicker, then it is probably OK.

Some people turn on SETA and leave their computers (sometimes for hours, or even overnight). That is more likely to cause noticeable problems when scripts are skipped.

SETA can encourage AL pileups, which can make a mess of your game save. That would be "ungood".

Personally, I rarely use SETA. There is too much other stuff to do in managing your empire. Even early in the game you probably need to manage a freighter doing MORT (manual) trading while you fly your personal ship.
  • (AL pileups can be 100% prevented by using a mutex in the Timer event. So, if you do get an AL pileup, report it in the appropriate thread so that the author can fix it.)

(An AL pileup is when you see multiple versions of scripts with identical names beginning with "al." in the Global Scripts list of the Script Editor.)

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 22. Dec 13, 02:58

I pretty much always use 10x SETA, but every once and awhile something strange will happen to let you know its not quite working right... like when you pass through a gate without jumping or when you see a station in the distance (in a peaceful sector) suddenly lose 2-3% of its shields because a ship ran into it..

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sun, 22. Dec 13, 04:01

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 91#3999491

I wrote this a long while ago, but most of it is still valid. Specific mod information is definitely out of date by now, but it still gives a valid picture of SETA's effects and what to expect.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Barleyman
x3

Post by Barleyman » Sun, 22. Dec 13, 18:10

Jack08 wrote:http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 91#3999491

I wrote this a long while ago, but most of it is still valid. Specific mod information is definitely out of date by now, but it still gives a valid picture of SETA's effects and what to expect.
Okeydokey. On 10x seta I have no FPS drops, it runs at same 60fps as it does normally (adaptive refresh sync) So everything should be copacetic.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”