[X3:TC] System Override Software disappearing ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mjwraw
x3tc

[X3:TC] System Override Software disappearing ?

Post by mjwraw » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 13:53

Three times now I've sent one of my M3s to a Pirate Base to collect System Override Software, bring it back and dock it with my Panther, (which is my player ship), and on every occasion when I go to use it following my next bail, System Override Software has disappeared from the menu of that M3. I check the inventory of my Panther, (just in case), but it's not there, and I also check the inventory of my other docked M3s + M5s (just in case) and it's not transferred to any of them either, it's just gone. Is this expected behaviour for System Override Software or is it a bug ?

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 14:05

system override software is illegal software.
police patrols will start making trouble if they find it on your ship after a scan.
any ships you own which travel with spcefuel for example will throw it overboard when scanned.
it may be the same with the override software.
perhaps the local police gave you trouble.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 15:24

I’ve seen it disappear off some of my ships too and as far as I remember I have never ejected system override software, why would you, just do any emergency jump if you get scanned. And seeing as you have to manually eject stuff, I guess this disappearing SOS is a game glitch.

And another thing, only your piloted ship gets scanned by police. As for your other ships, I’ve never heard of them ever getting scanned or dropping their illegal cargo or software.

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 16:40

I think that also after a UFJD the software can disappear.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 17:45

Definitely an UFJD issue here as if you have the signature scrambler available at a certain pirate base the fuzz can't even see it.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 19:20

If it's a UFJD problem then a workaround is that you use a ship that can dock fighters - just put all the precious stuff on the docked ship before activating.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

mjwraw
x3tc

Post by mjwraw » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 20:10

UFJD = Unfocussed Jump Drive ? If so that certainly isn't the issue for me. No, since it's not 'recognised' game behaviour I guess this must be a bug, which is annoying. All I was planning was to keep an M5 docked on my Panther to use for quick claiming, (and as pointed out above this would be highly unlikely to cause local police issues), but it appears this strategy is beyond the capabilities of the game...................

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 21:02

UFJD can only destroy triplex scanner, freight scanner and transporter device. Nothing else. Also if triplex scanner is default software on the ship, even when game says triplex scanner was destroyed it is still there because its not in the normal ship extension slot and can't be removed.
Disappearing cargo from ai piloted ships is due to it being illegal and ejected. Either use software signature scambler or hull shielding. If you don't have those then going though sectors where the ware is illegal is always a risk.
The only way to avoid scanning or loosing the the 3 extensions i mentioned to UFJD is to have the ship that has it docked to another ship.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 22:00

Funnily enough, if you have the Software Signature Scrambler (or similar) from the Duke's HQ installed, then the System Override Software disappears from your cargo listing - as it intended to keep it from notice by the police. You will see it if you select freight exchange with another ship instead. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 22:00

Not true hisazul:
I had it destroy my jump drive when I was searching for the Aran.
I had my prize but it was a can't win scenario.
What upgrades you lose are random and the smaller number of upgrades you have the more likely you will lose one that you didn't really want to.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 29. Dec 13, 22:08

The (vanilla) UFJD process does not destroy the jumpdrive or other non-listed upgrades, only one of the 3 types as listed in the FAQ. However, if you UFJD from a sector that you cannot normally jump into (eg most Terran TOA-only sectors and some special gateless sectors), then there may be no way to jump back to normal space because the jumpdrive does not work back into there. (I am unsure whether jump beacons work with UFJD return where there are no gates.) Your only hope then is the rare random relocation to another unintended sector when you try.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 30. Dec 13, 16:58

shaun bergin wrote:Not true hisazul:
I had it destroy my jump drive when I was searching for the Aran.
I had my prize but it was a can't win scenario.
What upgrades you lose are random and the smaller number of upgrades you have the more likely you will lose one that you didn't really want to.
As Alan said in vanilla only the 3 listed types can be destroyed. Not sure which mods change it...
Alternatively one thing that did happen a few times, is me jumping in and ending up in an instant collision with asteroid. Not 100% sure but I believe if you lag on sector generation you can spawn before asteroids and they can spawn on top of you. (INCREDIBLY RARE) And for the most part you simply too close and collision is due to ship rorating and hitting the roid, only once I spawned inside asteroid.

To add on to what Alan said, if you want to jump from gateless sector it needs to have jump beacon in it. If for what ever reason jump beacon gets destroyed you can still jump but you will not be returned to that sector. You are looking at a lot of jumping back in UFJD sectors until you get flung somewhere randomly. Don't be afraid of running out of e-cells... if you are low game will start spawning e-cells in UFJD sectors.

But by default only triplex scanner, freight scanner and transporter device can be destroyed nothing else.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

mjwraw
x3tc

Post by mjwraw » Mon, 30. Dec 13, 19:18

OK, much as all this UFJD debate is very interesting, as I said, this isn't my issue because I ain't got a UFJD fitted on any of my ships. Also, it's not an 'AI ejected it' problem because I jump my M3 back into the same system as me, check it's inventory and System Override Software is still in it's inventory. I let it dock with me, (no other AI ships have come anywhere near), check that System Override Software is still in it's inventory, (it is), then carry on playing normally. After a while I'll go back to check, (and I definitely haven't tried to freight exchange it to any other docked ship or to the Panther), and it's disappeared from the M3's inventory.

In the spirit of investigation I'm going to try a few things, like flying to a Pirate base myself and buying it, and then trying the command even if it's not actually showing anymore to see if it's just become invisible, just to see what happens.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. Dec 13, 20:41

If that parking place is an NPC station, you should be aware that ships left parked are quite likely to be bumped out to space by the routine docking queue and then return to the station later (if you are lucky). If you are unlucky your ship stays undocked with no command. Even if it does eventually return, it can get scanned by the local authorities (especially in race core sectors) while it is waiting to redock and so lose all its illegal stuff.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Mon, 30. Dec 13, 23:22

I suggest docking your ships either to a TL or some sort of ship with docking ports (no police scanning for dock ships), or to a Trading Station that has internal parking (no bump queuing). And note if it still disappears or not.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”