X2 - Constant crash trying to start intro when loading.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Trixster101
x2

X2 - Constant crash trying to start intro when loading.

Post by Trixster101 » Fri, 3. Jan 14, 12:41

Firstly, I know the game is old now and I might not get any assistance with this but it is driving me crazy why it will not work when the exact same install works fine on my laptop.

Both machines are Win7 64bit, only differences are that the desktop is much higher spec than the laptop and also fully up-to-date with Windows updates too.

I wanted to play X2 again but this time use the desktop machine now I have it here with me finally, I installed as you would do for Win7 and hit the exe to play but all it does is start and show the Nvidia etc logos and then crashes after showing the text.

First time it crashed it mentioned a buffer overrun, now it just shows a appcrash for X2.

I even copied the working install from the laptop to the desktop and that crashes at the same point - both the DxDiag reports (32bit &64bit) are linked in from my dropbox to save on post space.

Any help would be really appreaciated as I am running out of ideas what is the cause of this.

32B_DxDiag

64B_DxDiag

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Jan 14, 16:44

If I had to guess, it would be that your old (2009) X-Fi SoundBlaster audio driver is not a Win7 x64 version, let alone Win7 SP 1. Also make sure your soundcard/OS speaker layout is set to stereo or quadraphonic (4.0/4.1) rather than 5.1 or 7.1.

I believe that Creative do have a 2012 Win7 X-Fi Xtreme Audio driver, try here making sure you put the correct OS version in the box at the bottom of the driver pages you get to.

Also if you are not using the AMD HDMI sound device, I would disable it and its driver from running in parallel with your X-Fi card in Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices. (Right-click on a device to bring up an enable/disable pop-up menu).

If that does not help then try running the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode, or in windowed rather than fullscreen mode (or vice -versa).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Trixster101
x2

Post by Trixster101 » Fri, 3. Jan 14, 18:21

Had already tried the various compat modes without any sucess.

The audio drivers are the most recent that Creative provide, I guess they just updated the package in 2012 as I re-installed them and it is still the same driver from 2009 - the setup had for some reason altered to a 7.1 one though so changed that back as it is only stereo.

HDMI is needed, mainly for less hassle, as the desktop is hooked up to a tv at the moment.

But for testing sake I disabled all and still it crashes :(

Its something that it does not like for starting the intro, but what that is is a good question..

ty for suggestions :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Jan 14, 21:08

If you are using only your X-Fi card for sound output then you do not need the AMD HDMI *sound* device/driver running - as long as you are not playing sound through the TV as well.

You haven't said where this X2 comes from. If DVD then I suggest you try a complete reinstall and one-time full patch. If Steam then verify the gamefile cache. Let the game initialise and detect your system and set itself up on the desktop rather than try to carry across the version as set up for your laptop.

You could also try different (lower/simpler) screen resolutions in case the issue is with the combination of the old game and a new powerful graphics card and driver.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Trixster101
x2

Post by Trixster101 » Fri, 3. Jan 14, 22:35

Original CD's, installed using the correct alternate method for Win7.
(Hence why I also tried the data from the laptop too as it does not install correctly usnig the setup in Win7)

The laptop runs a archaic HD3 series, the desktop is using HD4 series but an x2 card - from ATi not Intel HD embedded.

Laptop will run it fine at 1600x900, desktop is trying normally at 1280x720 but even for testing purposes it fails in all lower too.

Only thing I can think is it does not like the graphic drivers, the laptop is several versions lower as Mobility Modder does not recognise the more recent driver sets from AMD - but even that sounds stupid to be true, I have run several older games without problems under current setup.

For ease of use would have been great to be on the normal machine, but as it runs on the laptop then no big loss really - just more annoyance than anything else..

Trixster101
x2

Post by Trixster101 » Sat, 4. Jan 14, 01:21

Had time to spare so went fresh OS install route to be sure..

So far, without Win7 updated (too late) it works with the previous graphic & audio drivers installed - used the files from the laptop.

As it prompts me in UAC to allow it access I am going to go on a limb and say ESET might have been the cause and was stopping it - but then I had disabled that too before..

Will find out when I finish the installs :D

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”