X3 Reunion: keyboard shorcuts don't work when docked in station

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

direvus

X3 Reunion: keyboard shorcuts don't work when docked in station

Post by direvus » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 02:42

So according my in-game "Controls" configuration, 'b' is the keyboard shortcut to bring up the station's BBS to look for missions and whatnot.

However, when I am docked at a station, all keyboard shortcuts appear to be nonfunctional. All I can do, apparently, is navigate the quickmenu with the arrow keys. So instead of just pressing 'b', I have to press Left, Left, Up, Left, Up to get to the BBS! Needless to say, I'd prefer to press 'b'.

None of the other usual keyboard shortcuts like 'l' for message log, or 'd' to trade, seem to work while docked either.

Is there really no good (fast) way to interact with a station?

Weirdly, these shortcuts worked in X2. So that seems like a big step backwards in usability.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 06:10

They work but they are situation specific. Same as you can't press info hotkey if you have nothing selected. You can't comm if nothing is selected and so on.

MMmm BBS means reunion or before that so don't recall specifics. But on default controls hit I to select station(while docked) in menu then you can use station hotkeys. In same way you need to have your own ship "selected" in menu to use ship relevant short cuts etc.

At least thats how it works in TC/AP and as far as I remember in reunion... don't remember x1/x2 at specifics at all... that was wayyy too long ago.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

direvus

Post by direvus » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 10:44

hisazul wrote:They work but they are situation specific. Same as you can't press info hotkey if you have nothing selected. You can't comm if nothing is selected and so on.
I do realise that the shortcuts are situation specific. But I really meant it when I said that the 'b' button does not do anything at all when I am docked in a station. It doesn't matter which menu I have activated. 'b' does nothing, and same for every other letter key on the keyboard.

The only keys that have any effect at all are Esc, Del, Enter, Left, Right, Up and Down, and the numeric keypad (to look around).
hisazul wrote:MMmm BBS means reunion or before that so don't recall specifics. But on default controls hit I to select station(while docked) in menu then you can use station hotkeys. In same way you need to have your own ship "selected" in menu to use ship relevant short cuts etc.
Nope. Pressing 'i' while docked does nothing for me.
hisazul wrote:At least thats how it works in TC/AP and as far as I remember in reunion... don't remember x1/x2 at specifics at all... that was wayyy too long ago.
I finished playing X2 just last week, and I can assure you (having used them hundreds or perhaps thousands of times) that the station keyboard shortcuts worked just fine!

I did modify one of the shortcuts (didn't like having Autopilot and Details both on 'u', so I moved autopilot to 'n'). I wonder if that screwed up my game somehow. I might try resetting that stuff to the defaults and see if that helps any. I am finding it hard to believe that the devs were crazy enough to disable keyboard shortcuts in stations on purpose.

KeithMcRae

Post by KeithMcRae » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 15:49

direvus wrote: I did modify one of the shortcuts (didn't like having Autopilot and Details both on 'u', so I moved autopilot to 'n'). I wonder if that screwed up my game somehow. I might try resetting that stuff to the defaults and see if that helps any. I am finding it hard to believe that the devs were crazy enough to disable keyboard shortcuts in stations on purpose.

Edit: I don't have the same problem at all. Apologies for hijacking the thread. :doh:
Last edited by KeithMcRae on Fri, 10. Jan 14, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 16:15

KeithMcRae wrote:
direvus wrote: I did modify one of the shortcuts (didn't like having Autopilot and Details both on 'u', so I moved autopilot to 'n'). I wonder if that screwed up my game somehow. I might try resetting that stuff to the defaults and see if that helps any. I am finding it hard to believe that the devs were crazy enough to disable keyboard shortcuts in stations on purpose.

Hmmm.... I've got the same problem as you in TC, i.e. when docked the short-cut keys don't work. I've also changed quite a few key maps to take advantage of my joystick. Please update your post if resetting to default had any effect. TIA.
Okay now I'm interested. Are you running any kind of non-generic keyboard? Do you have any gaming in-put devices connected?
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

KeithMcRae

Post by KeithMcRae » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 17:49

hisazul wrote:
Okay now I'm interested. Are you running any kind of non-generic keyboard? Do you have any gaming in-put devices connected?
For me I've got a Microsoft Comfort 2000 keyboard, so not exactly non standard and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Also got a Logitech G9 mouse, but the configuration on that is standard and G35 headphones, but again standard config.

The only 'weird' thing I've done is remapped some keys to buttons on the joystick i.e. Moved launch missile to another joystick button, disabled Left Ctrl Fire weapons, mapped Select Nearest Enemy to a joystick button, and the same with Activate SETA.

Cheers

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 18:07

KeithMcRae wrote:
hisazul wrote:
For me I've got a Microsoft Comfort 2000 keyboard, so not exactly non standard and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. Also got a Logitech G9 mouse, but the configuration on that is standard and G35 headphones, but again standard config.

The only 'weird' thing I've done is remapped some keys to buttons on the joystick i.e. Moved launch missile to another joystick button, disabled Left Ctrl Fire weapons, mapped Select Nearest Enemy to a joystick button, and the same with Activate SETA.

Cheers
Reason I asked is that it could be cause by input device drivers. I use logitec um... g510 usb keyboard so its definitely not standard and logitec g9x usb mouse. Not all games are capable of properly recognizing them... for instance witcher 2 can't display most keys properly even though its able to map majority of keyboard and everything on the mouse. Some games outright can't detect them because they are ****** console ports...*cough* StreetFighter 4 *cough*. Some won't allow mapping because key codes are different and only accept windows default driver layout.

Some games have issues when you have a lot of input devices hooked up and it just can't make heads or tails with them. This one shouldn't have issues with it... but you never know.

Make sure you run all the drivers that non-standard devices are provided with.

Also make sure there are no conflicting keybinds and they are where they are suppose to be. As in station hotkeys in station section and space hotkeys in space section. I have a lot of keybinds differ from station/space default settings.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 19:22

direvus wrote:
hisazul wrote:They work but they are situation specific. Same as you can't press info hotkey if you have nothing selected. You can't comm if nothing is selected and so on.
I do realise that the shortcuts are situation specific. But I really meant it when I said that the 'b' button does not do anything at all when I am docked in a station. It doesn't matter which menu I have activated. 'b' does nothing, and same for every other letter key on the keyboard.

The only keys that have any effect at all are Esc, Del, Enter, Left, Right, Up and Down, and the numeric keypad (to look around)....
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the way the game is designed. You're meant to navigate the options using the tabs at the bottom via the keys you mentioned. Once you get into the menus, some of them offer number hotkeys, but that's it. It was a big change from X2, and is also different than that of TC and AP. So there's nothing wrong with your keyboard or your computer. It's just the way the game works.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

direvus

Post by direvus » Sat, 11. Jan 14, 05:04

Nanook wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the way the game is designed. You're meant to navigate the options using the tabs at the bottom via the keys you mentioned. Once you get into the menus, some of them offer number hotkeys, but that's it. It was a big change from X2, and is also different than that of TC and AP. So there's nothing wrong with your keyboard or your computer. It's just the way the game works.
Well thanks for clearing that up Nanook, though I am very sorry to hear that the UI was crippled deliberately.

You really have to wonder what was going through the minds of whoever thought five keystrokes was better than one, especially for repetitive actions that are carried out hundreds of times in the normal course of playing the game.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”