Found a Kha'ak Corvette?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBlackrose
x3tc

Found a Kha'ak Corvette?

Post by CBlackrose » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 04:14

So I'm playing the latest version of AP with a few mods installed, including the NPC bailing add-on and the Random Ship Spawner, and today I came across an abandoned Kha'ak Corvette. It had about half it's laser bay and turrets full of Beta Kyon Emitters, but I don't know anything about this ship as I've never even encountered an enemy one before. Is it a viable ship in combat? If so, can it be reverse engineered so I can take over the gal- I mean, provide quality sector defence for my complexes?

extacide
x4

Post by extacide » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 04:47

A remnant from a hostile, xenon-like race which you could encounter in previous x titles. For plot reasons though, they're not around in X3 AP. Several of their ships are randomly generated in every new game though as an easter egg.

Unfortunately it can't be RE'ed, and even if it could, there'd be no point as there'd be no way to equip them all with compatible weapons; the kyon emitters they're compatible with can't be bought or manufactured, only found randomly within the limited amount of spawned derelict ships.

CBlackrose
x3tc

Post by CBlackrose » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 04:53

I've played TC, so I know exactly what happened to them :P (Good riddance, god damn clusters). That's unfortunate though, I was hoping to have a fleet of them at some point. Makes sense with the whole weapons situation though, I suppose I might get lucky and the random ship spawner will spawn some more of them for me.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 04:57

AP spawns a bunch of derelict, mostly Khaak ships around the galaxy. The Corvette usually shows up in inconvenient sectors like Savage Spur or that Unknown Sector next to Xenon 534.

The Khaak Corvette can't be REd and can't be sold.

It's not that great a ship, but since you can't get rid of it you may as well set it guard one of your stations or something.

CBlackrose
x3tc

Post by CBlackrose » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 05:11

Yeah, that Unknown Sector is exactly where I found it... That sucks that it's not that good, it's definitely one of the nicest ships I've seen in game. I checked out the M1 and M2 for the Kha'ak, they're extremely ugly, I wonder what happened there lol. I know that finding them will be few and far between, but out of the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Kyon emitters, which ones are good for what purposes?

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 06:04

There's only going to be one Corvette I believe.

You might get some more Beta Kyons on abandoned fighters, but everything was already spawned when you started the game.

The Alpha, Beta, & Gamma designations are hold-overs from earlier games (like X3R) when lasers could come in multiple grades, with an "Alpha" being weaker than a "Beta" which is weaker than the "Gamma".

Kyon's generally pretty good weapons (insta-hit beam with moderate range & decent damage) for their class, but since you can only equip them on Kha'ak & Xenon (IIRC) vessels, not amazingly much use (especially since, AIUI, AP fixed the various ware cloning exploits).

CBlackrose
x3tc

Post by CBlackrose » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 06:14

Sorry, I should've clarified, I'm running Abandoned Ship Spawner, which periodically creates ownerless ships in random spots. As far as I know it can spawn Kha'ak ships as well. I just really liked the unique design of the corvette so I was hoping to get some use out of it, but it sounds like unless I get really lucky, that probably won't happen lol

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 07:19

No, it was my error, you did mention the ship spawner in the OP I'd just forgotten it by the time I posted, sorry.

But you'd still need it to spawn the ships with equipment, & considering how many ships there are in the game, even if it's just "smallship" vessels it spawns, your odds of getting together enough guns for even the Corvette seem pretty low.

Also, it's carbo bay is minimal, even for an M6.

On my last game where I'd picked up the corvette I just sold it's guns & missile (singular even), then ordered it go scout Xenon space for me (next time I'll just nuke it myself).

PDouma39
xr

Post by PDouma39 » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 12:13

if you use Yalamandis Shipyard mod (see post at page 4 from that mod from DrBullwinkle for latest version) you can sell the corvette in that particularly shipyard and by doing so it will be available in that shipayard. This mod makes the Kha'ak weapons available too, make sure you let the equipment dock restock itself.
Awareness in life is rewarded by many

CBlackrose
x3tc

Post by CBlackrose » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 16:39

As soon as I get power again, to the mods section! Seriously though, thanks for the heads up! I always like having all options available in games like these, so I'll definitely be doing that what I get the chance.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 23:48

I'd argue that the Korvette is a rather strong ship for its class - it's heavily shielded, reasonably fast and its weapon arrays are rather devastating (3 guns per turret plus, what, nine in the main?) for an M6. It has issues when docking in sector due to its spinning hull clipping into the station, but as a patrol craft you could do far worse than this thing, if you manage to gather the BKEs to arm it.

The Kyon Emitter variants exist simply to arm the different classes of Kha'ak ships. The Alpha is mounted by M5s and M4s, and has shorter range and weaker damage than the other variants.
Beta has about 3km range, and is mounted on M3 fighters (where it gives it a massive range advantage over Terran and Commonwealth guns, but due to being only mounted in threes does worse damage once that range advantage is negated) and the Korvette (where it has a slightly shorter range CAP than commonwealth/Terran corvette weapons, but a much better effective range due to being a hitscan beam.).
Gamma Kyon Emitters are the strongest variant, with about 5km range and the highest damage. Because they're beams, they give Kha'ak M1s and M2s an excellent fighter and missile defence, but deal terrible damage and have shorter range compared to Commonwealth or Terran capital weapons. I don't think any ship that can use or drop the GKE exists in vanilla AP, and I don't know enough about the random ship spawner to say whether you'll ever see one.
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”