X3: AP how come I can't fire weapons while flying?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ryanpeterson
x4

X3: AP how come I can't fire weapons while flying?

Post by ryanpeterson » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 19:28

I just bought the Megalodon. I have equipped it with weapons, and they all fire automatically when in range of enemies. However, when I am in the Main Cockpit View where you fly your ship, I cannot shoot any weapons. The weapon list that usually appears over the missiles in the lower left corner is missing. On my Griffin I can fly the ship and shoot it's Main cannons, but I can't with the Megalodon. If I change my View to Cockpit: Front, then I can fire the weapons, but I can't pilot the ship.

Is this by design, or is there a hidden configuration I can't find? Thank you for your help! I have been looking in all the menus, and I can't figure this out.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 19:57

It's simple, he has no main batteries.

See here:

http://roguey.co.uk/x3ap/ships/ship-332/

If you fly the ship, the turrets do all the work. If you shot, nobody is flying as you sit in a turret.

Before buying a ship, check such things, as not all ships have main batteries which you can use while flying it :)
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 21:40

The only capital ships that have forward weapons are M7s, M2/M1s only have turrets due to their poor rate of turn.

ryanpeterson
x4

Post by ryanpeterson » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 22:05

Thank you for the response. That explains it. So far I haven't been all that impressed with the Megalodon because it is so huge it's a sitting duck.

Oh well. I'll have to find a purpose for it. So far when in battle it shoots up my allies pretty good and damages my reputation. :evil:

Maybe I need to use this ship only in solo missions and stay away from other allied ships.

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 22:45

From my personal experience, I can say that best ships for players are M6s and M7s. Unless you want to be a space god, then hop into an M7M and do whatever you want. Just stockpile some missiles first.

It's all matter of personal preferences. I go for an M7 but a lot of people sticks to M6s or even M3s. Look for something you that let's you have fun and stay with it.
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 19. Jan 14, 10:42

ryanpeterson wrote:Thank you for the response. That explains it. So far I haven't been all that impressed with the Megalodon because it is so huge it's a sitting duck.

Oh well. I'll have to find a purpose for it. So far when in battle it shoots up my allies pretty good and damages my reputation. :evil:

Maybe I need to use this ship only in solo missions and stay away from other allied ships.
Yes friendlies will usually fly into your turret fire causing you all sorts of problems. I would also suggest you avoid flying too close to friendly stations as it will cause them to turn hostile if your shots hit them as well. You may also want to check your friend/foe settings to make sure your not firing on the wrong people!

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sun, 19. Jan 14, 11:22

can't beat the Split Tiger for ultimate player ship goodness.

If you like killing stuff.

doesn't capture ships though they die too quick.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 19. Jan 14, 20:09

ryanpeterson wrote:So far I haven't been all that impressed with the Megalodon because it is so huge it's a sitting duck.

Oh well. I'll have to find a purpose for it.
From what I've read, it's a really good OOS ship.

In Sector, it's a heavily shielded ship with lots of PPCs, can shoot Flail Missiles, and carry a wing of Fenrirs to spam Spectre Missiles. I like to think of it less as a Destroyer and more as an exceedingly espensive M7M that can get into the front lines to take and deliver beatings.

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Sun, 19. Jan 14, 23:55

Actually, you can still control some of the turrets by changing camera view, but then you will loose the control of the ship's movement.

Torpor
x4

Post by Torpor » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 00:03

Thrake wrote:Actually, you can still control some of the turrets by changing camera view, but then you will loose the control of the ship's movement.
if u dont mind modified tag u shpould get mars-script
in my opinion the best turret cmd script ever!
-changes weapons - reasonable!
-many control options
-is able to stop shooting if there is a station in range of the laz0r
-double the firepower of every m2/m1 becaouse of the weaponchange ;P
-u can allow the ai to use it as well
Wir sind ***Modified***. Ergeben Sie sich.
Wir werden ihre technologischen und kulturellen Aspekte den unseren hinzufügen.
Widerstand ist zwecklos.

please excuse my bad english. no native speaker, but german forum is dying ;P

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 00:19

MARS is good !

also gives you goblins... best thing ever.

rzadzins
x3ap

Post by rzadzins » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 10:05

Or go for the Pteranodon. I've been having fun with my Deimos for a very long time but then I realized it takes ages to take down an m1/m2 ship so I got a Pteranodon, the only proper destroyer with main guns. You can mount 8 PPCs on the main guns and 2x8 PALCs on the side turrets for swift fighter removal (and 4 ISRs at rear).

The only problem is it takes ages to turn (or ages to find enough rudder optimizations to make it somewhat smooth) as well as when jumping to sectors, if there is a ship that just moved to this sector (starting engines in front of the gate), you will smash into it (I guess this can qualify as a bug).

Other than that, my Pteranodon "doesn''t afraid of anything" ;)

PS. Fock rockets.

Torpor
x4

Post by Torpor » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 15:44

rzadzins wrote:Or go for the Pteranodon. I've been having fun with my Deimos for a very long time but then I realized it takes ages to take down an m1/m2 ship so I got a Pteranodon, the only proper destroyer with main guns. You can mount 8 PPCs on the main guns and 2x8 PALCs on the side turrets for swift fighter removal (and 4 ISRs at rear).

The only problem is it takes ages to turn (or ages to find enough rudder optimizations to make it somewhat smooth) as well as when jumping to sectors, if there is a ship that just moved to this sector (starting engines in front of the gate), you will smash into it (I guess this can qualify as a bug).

Other than that, my Pteranodon "doesn''t afraid of anything" ;)

PS. Fock rockets.
PS. mozzie missile defence from bonuspack ;P
Widerstand ist zwecklos.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 20:51

Would've thought the PALCs would take care of the missiles.

Torpor
x4

Post by Torpor » Mon, 20. Jan 14, 20:56

OniGanon wrote:Would've thought the PALCs would take care of the missiles.
there are blindspots...^^
Widerstand ist zwecklos.

rzadzins
x3ap

Post by rzadzins » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 11:33

OniGanon wrote:Would've thought the PALCs would take care of the missiles.
They do. Especially if you point them at bombers and slightly steer, the lasers touch the missiles which explode, clearing away a dozen enemy fighters surrounding the bomber. That's fun.

What I had in mind about rockets/missiles is that apparently it is much easier to just get a bomber clean out the m1/m2 ships, but it doesn't seem fun, I just prefer to fly there and fry them with energy weapons. I don't use bombers at all.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Tue, 21. Jan 14, 21:57

Yeah, you can roll up in a M7M and a full load of missiles and kill everything.... But that doesn't feel like fun after a while.

I used to love flying the Nova all the time, years ago, but the Plasma Burst Generator means more shields are needed now, not to mention the pesky PBE.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”