X3TC - Buy Used Ship limited to boron only?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CoreCapator

X3TC - Buy Used Ship limited to boron only?

Post by CoreCapator » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 08:04

Starting with Anonymous argon, I have noticed that only borons offer "used ships" for sale. I'm trying to keep my argon rep at "citizen" because it starts the terran campaign at any higher, which is hard to do in an M5 :) Now, I had Rank 4 with paranid, Rank 3 with split and Rank 5 or 7 with boron, and I have never saw an M6 being offered from the boron either. Is this some sort of a weird glitch? Or does argon reputation affect whole script?

Lea Flamma
x3tc

Post by Lea Flamma » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 08:20

I am getting ships from all races. But again, never saw an M6 or higher being offered. I think it's because they can't bail, which happens when you buy the ship. I think it's based on the same mechanics. Any ship you need to board to get will not be proposed.

Either way, I do not know if it's rank based or not. Might be the case.
Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: X3TC - Buy Used Ship limited to boron only?

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 08:38

CoreCapator wrote:I had Rank 4 with paranid, Rank 3 with split and Rank 5 or 7 with boron
That is the reason. Your rep with the Boron is higher.

Used ship offers are based on race rep.

Apparently M6's are the largest ship offered as used ships (tx, OG). Which is the way it should be. If you want larger ships, then you're going to have to learn to board them. Which is a ton of fun, so start training those marines. :pirat:

You can also steal larger ships from "Return Ship" missions. I have had frigates (M7) offered for those missions (although they are somewhat rare).
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Fri, 31. Jan 14, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

CoreCapator

Post by CoreCapator » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 08:54

Thing is, borons already offered me ships at "Trusted Courtier" while Paranids at rank "Friend of Priest" never offered me a single ship, also Teladi at "Company Trader" offered no ships either, which are rank 2 and rank 3, while borons offer ships at rank 1? I mean, is this working as intended?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 08:58

I do not know what the thresholds are, and there is a certain amount of randomness. I have often received better offers from Split than other races, with no obvious reason why.

In any case, your race reps are very low, which means that you are early in the game. Keep playing the game instead of worrying about it. ;)

Things will get better. And more interesting.
  • (And, yes, some randomness is intended. Your reports are all within "normal" range.)

OniGanon

Re: X3TC - Buy Used Ship limited to boron only?

Post by OniGanon » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 09:22

DrBullwinkle wrote:Offhand, I think that TM's may be the largest ship offered as used ships.
In AP you can get used M6s offered, though it's very rare. Not sure for TC.

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Fri, 31. Jan 14, 11:12

yes, it's possible to get an offer for an M6 in TC.
I've only seen those offers on a station, not from a pilot in space who was selling his ship.
the pilots who are flying around trying to sell their ship, sometimes have ships which aren't for sale normally.
the Iguana Vanguard (TP) for example made me very happy.
there's even a change that marines are still onboard when you buy it.
when you're lucky they'll have a decent fighting level.
ships from all commonwealth races are for sale, don't know about Terran though.

mouser9169
x3tc

Post by mouser9169 » Sun, 16. Feb 14, 08:31

Where does one get these used ship offers?

I'm about four from the top or higher for the five starting races and haven't seen any at shipyards or equipment docks. Are there merchants I have to talk to?
All that is gold does not glitter;
Not all those who wander are lost.

While you've been reading this post, I've been making profitsss.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 16. Feb 14, 09:32

Any ship you see flying with a currency symbol, and any station especially Shipyards with the same symbol.

A quick way you can check is to look up the Landed Ships list on any station with the money symbol. If you see a ship with less than full Hull, chances are it's for sale.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 16. Feb 14, 10:57

I've seen M6s at shipyards and EQDs when my race rank was high. They are quite common. My previous game I had around 175 ships with only a third of them purchased new from the shipyard. Enter a sector, call up the sector map and come ships with a currency symbol. I tend to com any station offering a mission because they may have more than one mission, to include ship offers. I just left a sector where one station had 2 ships for sell, another station with one, and a fourth ship flying around. All you have to do is look.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 21. Feb 14, 17:44

mouser9169 wrote:Where does one get these used ship offers?

I'm about four from the top or higher for the five starting races and haven't seen any at shipyards or equipment docks. Are there merchants I have to talk to?
When you first enter a sector, there's a chance that you'll find a ship hanging somewhere around the entry gate with a "cent" symbol above it, often a ways BEHIND the gate. Odds are, the pilot is looking to sell.

Some used ships also appear for sale at stations, particularly Shipyards. Again, look for the yellow "cent" symbol, which in that case may either be a "delivery" mission or a ship for sale.

If the ship condition is at or near 100%, the selling price is likely to be higher than what you'd pay for a brand new ship from a Shipyard. Check before you buy. On the other hand, if the condition is just above 50%, the ship could be almost free. I've bought Mercury TS freighters for under 10K credits, if you don't mind some tedious EVA time to do repairs with your spacesuit repair laser, and regularly find battered old M3s for sale in the 100K-200K range, which can be fixed and resold for over a million.

As pointed out M6 Corvettes only appear for sale at stations, and rarely at that. Equipment may or may not come with the ship, and the asking price may include the equipment even if you don't get it. Definitely "buyer beware".

In my relatively fresh game, I'm currently flying a Nova Vanguard M3 (until I find a Nova Raider for sale cheap), which cost me about 300K and 5-10 minutes of repair time. Note that the Pirate Nova Raider only goes about 145 "clicks", where the Argon ones can do 190+. If a Pirate one bails, I sell it off as quickly as I can fix it and get it to a Shipyard. Good money, bad ship.

mouser9169
x3tc

Post by mouser9169 » Fri, 21. Feb 14, 20:52

I finally found some :)

Was heading to Argon Sector M148 (which it turns out doesn't like me very much) looking to buy marines, and saw two ships flying around for sale. One was a beat up Mercury for 66k. The other was a discoverer with a 100% hull asking high six figures (at least).

I'll let you guess which one I bought :)

Little guy managed to make it past the kha'ak patrols and asteroids with no shields and less than half a hull all the way to the interworlds dock, where I went back for him with a spare jumpdrive.

Felt a little bad for the guy I left hanging in the middle of a sector in the space suit, but he'll live... or not.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 21. Feb 14, 20:57

mouser9169 wrote:...
Felt a little bad for the guy I left hanging in the middle of a sector in the space suit, but he'll live... or not.
He'll probably live if there are stations in the sector. They fly, slowly, to the nearest station and dock. Sometimes if I'm playing a good guy, I'll pick them up and eject them next to a station. If I'm not nice, I'll collect them and turn them into slaves and sell them at the next pirate base I visit. :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 21. Feb 14, 22:15

Nanook wrote:
If I'm not nice, I'll collect them and turn them into slaves and sell them at the next pirate base I visit. :fg:
There's a mod that allows you to drop them off at their own race's stations or at a Goner facility for a slight rep increase. That actually includes dropping off collected Pirates at any Pirate base.

The value of either enslaving or (with the mod) returning them is extremely low for the cargo space they take up, so I usually just let them float to the closest station.

Enjoy your new overpriced Discov.....uh, I guess you bought the old Mercury instead.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 22. Feb 14, 00:25

Honved wrote:
Nanook wrote:
If I'm not nice, I'll collect them and turn them into slaves and sell them at the next pirate base I visit. :fg:
...The value of either enslaving or (with the mod) returning them is extremely low for the cargo space they take up, so I usually just let them float to the closest station....
From a strictly financial and practical standpoint, perhaps. But when you're roleplaying, it adds to the game experience. And that makes it worthwhile to me. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

mouser9169
x3tc

Post by mouser9169 » Sat, 22. Feb 14, 07:17

Nanook wrote:
Honved wrote:
Nanook wrote:
...The value of either enslaving or (with the mod) returning them is extremely low for the cargo space they take up, so I usually just let them float to the closest station....
From a strictly financial and practical standpoint, perhaps. But when you're roleplaying, it adds to the game experience. And that makes it worthwhile to me. :)
That is one of the cool things about this game - there is room to roleplay. A lot of games call themselves RPG's, but very few really let you go "off the rails" and play the way you want.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”