[AP] Teladi patrol missions including attacking Argons?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

soulmata
x4

[AP] Teladi patrol missions including attacking Argons?

Post by soulmata » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 19:59

I'm playing AP as a Terran start. I'm very unfriendly with Argon as I've been pirating their trade lanes whenever I can, mostly to steal and sell their super freighters, though I make it a role-play rule to not attack Argons anywhere inside other Commonwealth space (i.e. it makes me look like a jerk to bring the fight to other people's backyards).

Therefore, when I'm in Teladi space, I intentionally avoid getting into any fights with Argon ships. But I've noticed that whenever I take a Teladi patrol mission, even if it's a Xenon patrol mission, they want me to destroy Argon ships as well. The description of the missions are always "Destroy any enemies of the Teladi government. You will face Xenon ships.", so it stands to reason that if I off any Pirate forces, they'd appreciate that as well.

But why Argon? Is it a bug because I'm hostile with Argon, or is it because the Teladi have a secret agenda against them and figure, well, this guy's already blowing things up, why not ask him to do it?

Note that three things in particular are true:
1) Teladi do not send police after me or warn me if I destroy these Argon ships in their space
2) They reward me with bonus credits and police bounty for the mission for destroying them
3) Teladi are otherwise non-hostile to Argon ships; they trade and move freely in Teladi space.

I suppose it's possible those Argon trade ships were pirate ships in disguise, and the Guidance system was serving as an interface spoiler. Thoughts?

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 20:19

It is because you are Terran. If you start as anything other than Terran, you get to shoot up Terran ships in missions quite often.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 21:42

I suggest you set your ships Friend/Foe setting to friendly with Argon for the duration of the mission. As you said they are not an Enemy of the Teladi Company. Pirates are debatable.

Martinez90
x3ap

Post by Martinez90 » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 22:08

It's good to have Argons as friends. I've also started as Terran Defender and I've achieved highest respect faster with Argons than Terrans.
MSI GT70 PE2 Dominator Pro: 17,3" 1920x1080, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2,7GHz - 3,7GHz on Turbo, 16GB DDR3 CL11, nVidia GTX 880M 8GB, Intel HD4600, 1TB 32MB 7200RPM HDD, Windows 8.1 64bit

soulmata
x4

Post by soulmata » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 22:28

Martinez90 wrote:It's good to have Argons as friends. I've also started as Terran Defender and I've achieved highest respect faster with Argons than Terrans.
Those jerks blew up the Torus and killed my little baby brother. I will make them pay. I will make them all pay.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [AP] Teladi patrol missions including attacking Argons?

Post by Nanook » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 23:20

soulmata wrote:I'm playing AP as a Terran start. I'm very unfriendly with Argon as I've been pirating their trade lanes whenever I can, mostly to steal and sell their super freighters, though I make it a role-play rule to not attack Argons anywhere inside other Commonwealth space (i.e. it makes me look like a jerk to bring the fight to other people's backyards).

Therefore, when I'm in Teladi space, I intentionally avoid getting into any fights with Argon ships. But I've noticed that whenever I take a Teladi patrol mission, even if it's a Xenon patrol mission, they want me to destroy Argon ships as well. The description of the missions are always "Destroy any enemies of the Teladi government. You will face Xenon ships.", so it stands to reason that if I off any Pirate forces, they'd appreciate that as well.

But why Argon? Is it a bug because I'm hostile with Argon, or is it because the Teladi have a secret agenda against them and figure, well, this guy's already blowing things up, why not ask him to do it?

1) Teladi do not send police after me or warn me if I destroy these Argon ships in their space
2) They reward me with bonus credits and police bounty for the mission for destroying them
3) Teladi are otherwise non-hostile to Argon ships; they trade and move freely in Teladi space.

I suppose it's possible those Argon trade ships were pirate ships in disguise, and the Guidance system was serving as an interface spoiler. Thoughts?
The Teladi generally look the other way whenever you attack another race in their territory. They have a kind of hidden alliance with the pirates, so you don't get Teladi rep for killing pirates in Teladi sectors. So no, it's not a bug, it's intended gameplay. And I don't really see the problem with the Teladi paying me to rid the universe of those traitorous, backstabbing Argon anyway. :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 3. Feb 14, 23:46

Nanook wrote:
soulmata wrote:I'm playing AP as a Terran start. I'm very unfriendly with Argon as I've been pirating their trade lanes whenever I can, mostly to steal and sell their super freighters, though I make it a role-play rule to not attack Argons anywhere inside other Commonwealth space (i.e. it makes me look like a jerk to bring the fight to other people's backyards).

The Teladi generally look the other way whenever you attack another race in their territory. They have a kind of hidden alliance with the pirates, so you don't get Teladi rep for killing pirates in Teladi sectors. So no, it's not a bug, it's intended gameplay. And I don't really see the problem with the Teladi paying me to rid the universe of those traitorous, backstabbing Argon anyway. :fg:
^
Teladi are smart like that. They can plainly see how argon even with clueless boron in tow can't budge terrans, so they are just letting you vent on terrorists while hoping to get on your good side so in the future they can make lots of profitsss and have terrans "as far as they can be" on their side.

But back to mechanics, it just a matter of your FoF settings and reputation, missions that include patrols/sector defense will lump all enemies to player race as valid targets.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

soulmata
x4

Post by soulmata » Thu, 6. Feb 14, 21:41

hisazul wrote:But back to mechanics, it just a matter of your FoF settings and reputation, missions that include patrols/sector defense will lump all enemies to player race as valid targets.
Are you sure about that part? Because I went to Paranid space, which are at perpetual war with Argon and even offer missions to hunt Argon ships. However, when taking Pirate/Yaki/Xenon Defend/Patrol missions, they didn't light up any Argon/OTAS/Terracorp ships. Same thing in Boron space - Borons don't quest-highlight Argon ships. Only in Teladi space. Haven't tried split yet.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Feb 14, 23:37

They need to be enemy to you and, in this case, the Paranid. In AP, Paranid and Argon are only slightly hostile, not "shoot on sight" hostile. They aren't technically at war, not to the extent the Argon and Terran are.

In numerical terms, the relations are:

Paranid -10 vs Argon (and vice versa);

Terran -1,000,000 vs Argon (and vice versa).

0 is neutral.

As a comparison:

Argon +1,000,000 vs Boron (and vice versa).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”