[MOD] DangerZones (TO DLC v0.3 June 27 2015)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

[MOD] DangerZones (TO DLC v0.3 June 27 2015)

Post by euclid » Tue, 4. Feb 14, 19:00

Have you ever tried to fly to the next sector rather than using the superhighway? Did you make a long and boring trip to one of the celestial objects like to a planet or to what seem to be the remains of the Earth torus?

If so then this mod may be a good choice - if you dare - because you have to explore many zones to reach your target and these are
  • DANGER ZONES
Download

• What and How:

Some technical info
    This mod is a first attempt to utilize the novel feature of the X:R game engine to simulate an infinite space by generating temporary zones around the player. Temporary zones are created when a ship (here focused on the Skunk) leaves one of the static (named) zones. For example, the inter-sector travel: if you decide to fly (i.e. not using the highway) from one static zone to another you will "cross" many temporary zones. Each such temporary zone is a cube of 40km³ so you travel a maximum distance of about 60Km until the next temporary zone is created. If you leave a temporary zone this zone and all objects created within (like containers for example) are removed (read: destroyed).

Events
    This mod creates randomly events when you enter a temporary zone which is sufficiently far away (no trigger during inter-sector travel!!) from any static zone. Those events are not missions so you can completely ignore them or take on the challenge. If you get in trouble then just hit your booster and fly out of the current zone ;-) If you enter a temporary zone and Yisha makes a remark then you know an event has been triggered.

Rating
    As for now there are five events with difficulty rating according to the potential reward. Personally I consider all events 'hard' but some seem to be rather 'insanely hard' to 'impossible'. Here comes the "think" part in. There are various approaches to master one of those events.

Cool down
    I don't want to make this a "farm" mod so there are CDs on all events defined (yet again) according to the potential reward. To avoid triggering events in consecutive temporary zones there is also a high chance that no event is triggered at all. There is one event which you can finish (read: reward gained) only once. If you fail it (read: no reward) then you are able to repeat it after a rather long CD.

Game crashes
    I strongly advise not to rely on a saved game to master a given event. Saving in temporary zones is tricky; odd things happen if you reload a game saved during an event. Your game may even crash!! There is also a remote chance to crash if you enter a temporary zone along or near the boundary of the previous zone. I'm not sure why but think there is a problem with the definition of the player position (which the MD script requires initially).

Compatibility
    As usual this mod do not use any game files or alters any of them. No menu keys are used so this mod should be compatible with anything out there. It uses, however, certain global variables: E1cooldown, ..., E5cooldown and E3done.

Cheat mods
    Just a gentle waring Without spoiling anything: if you are running any cheat mods that either makes the Skunk invulnerable or enhances it to super-speed then this mod my not work for you.

Requirements
    You need the DLC Teladi Outpost to run this mod.

Feedback is more than welcome. In particular I am interested your opinion on the balancing: Is an event too easy or too hard? Is the reward adequate, too much or not enough?

Since there are different strategies please use spoiler tags if necessary.

Cheers Euclid

Changelog

v0.3: Added modified "units_size_xl_transporter_1_macro" to avoid errors due to redundant "flak"-relaed codes.

V0.2: Added chance of lockbox drops and teladi ships as potential reward for some encounter. Reduced trigger range from 1000Km to 200Km. Moved some encounters to the centre of the temp zone to avoid targeting problems.
Last edited by euclid on Sat, 27. Jun 15, 15:48, edited 3 times in total.
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Tue, 4. Feb 14, 20:04

sounds awesome , downloading !
(in fact going to finish off one or two of my mods , upload and them game all night , thanks !)

jamnathan
x4

Post by jamnathan » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 19:18

amazing idea, love it!
i experience some graphical issues:
- when reaching the first zone, all gets black (except the cockpit itself)
- only when moving, stardust gets visible [would be nice to see the same "view of space" before entering the zone]
- switching to crew quarters i cannot move from my position and anyone is standing in the same strange position - stretching arms
- sometimes boost does not work (sounds like boosting, but there´s no shield drain and after "boosting" some time there´s no zone shift - so there´s no real boost i guess)
- when leaving the zone and entering a new one, space stays black (as above mentioned)
- some objekts are not shown on sector map or do not appear (properly) in space. e.g. yisha announces a jumpgate or just sais "there is something" - but nothing to see
- those issues can be solved by opening the sector map, opening details of the skunk and leaving the menu again.

Perhaps the graphical problems depend on my GeForce GTM 770M, i had some similar issues in other parts of this game (e.g. disappearing detailmonitor when opening the map) but this was solved with gameupdates.

I had a really good fight with lots of pirates and captured a titurel. Luckily it wasn´t removed as i left the zone :)

please keep on your fine modding!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 20:05

Hi jamnathan :-)

What you have encountered is the so-called "Black Hole" bug and it's well known but apparently not so easy to fix. You did the right thing to change the map by visiting your crew quarters and wait (all is frozen for a few seconds) until the engine resets the Skunk to a 'near' position.

And well done with the
Spoiler
Show
successful boarding of the Titurel.
But please use spoiler tags so others reading this thread still have an 'unknown' encounter to looking forward to ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 20:05

Sounds great, but I cannot find anywhere what the mod really does?
I mean, what new content/mechanics are added? (make it a spoiler maybe?)
:)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 21:14

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Sounds great, but I cannot find anywhere what the mod really does?
I mean, what new content/mechanics are added? (make it a spoiler maybe?)
:)
All you need to know is in the OP, the rest is a surprise :p

Cheers Euclid

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 22:07

Great idea. But... well... With the "Black hole" bug in place it's almost unplayable. After being kicked into the black hole (a superhighway zone actually) _five_ times in a row (and yes, I've tried to move away from any possible superhighway direction. There wasn't any) I've ended up outside of the skysphere.
Spoiler
Show
As soon as I've ended up there I've got a message about mines and an escape pod... well... escaping? Someone were even talking with me, but alas - I've seen nothing. In a space so much outside of the sphere most of visuals do not work properly.

losthart2611

Post by losthart2611 » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 22:14

thats one long flight back [ external image ]

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 22:17

I've developed & tested this mod during a journey to the remains of the Earth torus, starting in Bleak Pebble, Flickering Flame. Never had that bug there. But as jamnathan wrote above, if you get this bug then just visit your crew quarters, wait until your crew is unfrozen and then return to the cockpit.

Cheers Euclid

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Wed, 12. Feb 14, 21:18

It helps, yes, but not always - only if you haven't tried to leave the temporary zone while in this state. If you did you'll end up in the next temporary zone which could be far-far away (as you may see I'm currently 1m km away from the Radiant Heaven sector. I don't think I want to take a trip THAT long) from any civilization.

Actually the "Black Hole" bug happens (mostly) when you hit a superhighway tube which is invisible so it's hard to tell for sure. But it's almost certainly is a super-highway because you may see fake civilians' engine effects running around you while you are in such a place.

Problem is that normally a super-highway zone is properly configured so you can't move, shoot or leave it - but it's only done at the enter point, so if you've managed to enter a super-highway somehow without going through entry point - you'll end up in the unpleasant black space. Maybe it happens not due to hitting a superhighway tube, but just because of a temporary zone generation bug - who knows. But a pilot named Ocean from the elite-games site who made a lot of far travels around the X:R world meet this bug a few times and most of times it was close to a possible superhighway location. I was traveling to the Radian Heaven from the Commerce Core by flying from the entry super-highway gate to the planet's center. As super-highways to the Radian Heaven are very-very winding and are different for a way to and out it's quite possible that I hit a super-highway too.

P.S. BTW, "remains of the Earth torus"? You are talking about that oversized broken solar-power-plant thing with insane length and size and even an atmosphere? DeVries isn't the Solar System - that's a separate system, which is stated quite clear. How an Earth Torus may have ended-up there?

jamnathan
x4

Post by jamnathan » Thu, 13. Feb 14, 23:39

Hi Euclid,
Just some ideas - hopefully without spoiling anything :wink:
- not beeing able to save in a zone is ok so far i guess, but it would be nice to do so when leaving the zone. I got the impression, that leaving a zone leads immedeately to entering a new one. So saving won't be an option on such a long journey. Perhaps its possible to create a "save zone" between danger zones :)
- surely not part of your mod but... because one had to travel so far it would be nice to order a capship to bring you there. They have better boost and also bring some firepower. This would afford a special command when docked like "head this way". And of course a "window" to point the direction :wink:

Cheers!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 13. Feb 14, 23:56

Hi jamnathan :-)

You can save in temporary zones without problems but I do not recommend to save during an event. So, if an event is over or if you enter a new temporary zone without an even (there is a high chance for that) then, by all means, save your game.

Concerning the distance: yes, I know it's pretty far (the trigger is at 1000 Km from the nearest static zone) but this is intended to avoid 'easy farming'. However, if you think this is too much then feel free to mod the mod correspondingly ;-)

Cheers Euclid

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Thu, 20. Feb 14, 21:42

right so I played with this a lot , and I have to say LOVE IT.
I explored the outskirts of the map , went in orbit of a gas giant , know all this you can do in vanilla but with this mod it feels like there a reward to get by taking this risk.

A lot of them are very hard , espacialy with combat mods but hey , thats cool just means I need to think , or run more....

could I make a suggestion?
what about smaller non profit zones like zones that just have 5 enemies or a wreck nothing to win but just to give a better illusion of seize.

Lelaran
x3tc

Post by Lelaran » Mon, 10. Mar 14, 01:43

does that work well or I should say at all with the Big Space mod by Realspace?

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Fri, 3. Oct 14, 17:02

Does this work in 2.5B? Im tempted to try it

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 7. Oct 14, 14:32

Hey Swatti :-)

I have not tested all missions with the latest versions but those I have done worked fine.

Ii is unlikely that this mod will have any problems because none of the past patches have introduced code changes that could break it.

Cheers Euclid

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 25. Dec 14, 22:04

New version uploaded which requires the TO DLC.

See OP for changes.

Merry Christmas and Cheers

Euclid

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 27. Jun 15, 15:49

New version uploaded. See OP for details.

Cheers Euclid

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 20:44

Mod appears to work in 4.30, need to test it further but I encountered an encounter without issue.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”