coming back and i've forgotten all (fairly long read inside)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Darquies
x3ap

coming back and i've forgotten all (fairly long read inside)

Post by Darquies » Wed, 19. Feb 14, 20:20

well it's been years since I've played X3 TC and I'm back just to have a bit O fun as i'm all nostalgic for X3.

Went with the rebalanced mod and so far, aside from blowing up via friendly fire tomahawk missiles once an hour, I'm having a blast(excuse the pun).

but since it's been so long since I last played, I've forgotten all about how to mod.

I googled a lot in the last hour and I'm more confused now :(

somebody mind linking scripting for dummies? I basically just wanna change a primary resource into a secondary resource(crystal free spp)

and yes I did indeed try to download the available scripts out there but either they are a .spk file(in which case i'm again lost as how to use this) or it need some plugin manager(more files i'd rather not try to figure out as i'm really not all that computer savant) or the DL is broken.

I'm really not looking for some advanced money sucking script, I remember when I first played X2 or X3, I think it was X3 I made a simple script to do just this. but that's been a long time ago and I can't remember what I ate last week.

i'm sure all the scripts out now, are really nice, most, if not all what this community does for free is Top Notch. I'm just wanting to take 10 minutes or what to refresh/reread how to do this and make the script when I get home tonight from work.

thankyou again for any help your able to provide.

history:

looked at arkanis or crows? script said u needed DL manager?
found memia's crystal free spp and it said just install it, so I took the .spk file and pasted it into my scripts folder in my X3 folder(I do not have AP)
came here and made this post.
to Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 19. Feb 14, 20:30

came here and made this post.
Saw your post here and moved it to the correct forum (i.e. the Scripts and Modding Forum for X3TC/AP). :)

**moved**

The Tutorials and Resources Sticky at the top of this forum has a link to DrBullwinkle's Installation tips for Scripts and Mods.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Darquies
x3ap

Post by Darquies » Wed, 19. Feb 14, 21:09

I took a look in that, a mountain of data to be sure but where is the simple scripting guide? or were you showing that for the how to install the plugin manager?

please would you link me the simple or beginner's scripting guide?

if I missed the place or point, I apologise

thankyou for your help though.

(well i'm off to work, cya's in 8+ hours)
to Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 19. Feb 14, 21:15

Welcome back - i did the very same thing a couple weeks ago and had similar head-scratching moments :)

What you'll need is the Pluggin Manager, which makes installing TC scripts and mods a breeze. Some scripts come in zipped directories and some cone in SPK packs. The PM handles either by placing the packaged files into all the right directories (and by removing them when you want to uninstall a script).

Fortunately, the XRM mod recommends that you install that before adding other scripts so you should be OK to start experimenting with adding scripts. Mods can be different in that they can have bits that install like scripts and bits that are cat+dat files that we're often guided by authors to install manually.

You can find the Pluggin Manager and the locations of TC Bonus Pack tools in my signature. If you fancy using Mk3 Traders, the bugfix for the Blacklist Manager is really handy.

Edit: You can install the PM anywhere outside game directory and after doing so, you point it at the .EXE in your TC install directory if it doesn't find it automatically.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Wed, 19. Feb 14, 22:32

The link that X2-Illuminatus gave you is the easy guide: Installation Tips. Work through it slowly -- it is ordered by importance (more or less).

You could try watching the video first if you like those. I have not watched it myself, but it is a recent attempt to help new players.

There isn't really a guide to using the Plugin Manager (PM), other than the link above, but it is very easy to figure out.

LV's guide is a pictorial tutorial to doing "manual" installations (without using the PM).
  • @X2-Illuminatus for some reason, there is no link to my quick start guide in the Tutorials sticky. Apparently the author forgot to post a link request. But you are welcome to add it if you like.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 22. Feb 14, 12:03

Darquies wrote:I took a look in that, a mountain of data to be sure but where is the simple scripting guide? or were you showing that for the how to install the plugin manager?
I posted the link to DrBullwinkle's installation tipps, so you can install the scripts you mentioned earlier, which can probably help with your initial problem. If you would like to get started with writing own scripts, let me know and I give you some other tipps and topics to start with.
DrBullwinkle wrote:@X2-Illuminatus for some reason, there is no link to my quick start guide in the Tutorials sticky. Apparently the author forgot to post a link request. But you are welcome to add it if you like.
Your guide is actually already listed in the "featured" links section above all other tutorials.
I can change the name or put it into another section, if you like though.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Sat, 22. Feb 14, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 22. Feb 14, 12:08

X2-Illuminatus wrote:Your guide is actually already listed in the "featured" links section above all other tutorials.
Oh, there it is. I did not recognize the name, but it is fine as it is. Thanks.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”