Struggling with mobile mining.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stgerrit

Struggling with mobile mining.

Post by Stgerrit » Mon, 24. Feb 14, 12:33

Hey guys.
I am new to the Forum and would just like to say hey to everbody!
I recently bought X3 Terran Conflict and so far I am enjoying it. I figured some of the things out so far but one I am struggling with is mobile mining.
I read a guide about this (X3 Mobile Mining guide by "Bunny"). And also watched a few videos. The problem I am facing is the exact steps required.

Here are the steps provided by "Bunny"
1. Fly to a sector with lots of rocks
2. Pick a rock and fire on it to break it up
3. Look for collectible rocks (the smallest)
4. Fly up to the rock with speed 10m/s using the F2 external view and drop the shield using the O key
5. After picking up the rock the shield will come back up and the computer will say what has been collected

!!!***These steps are not my own they have been copied from "bunny"('s) post just for the purpose of my question.***!!!

My problem is step number 4
I have pressed the O key but this does not do anything. Am I doing something wrong?
I am sorry if this is a foolish question but I am trying to go into an economical direction and need to learn how to mine.

Some information about my ship if needed :
Argon Mercury
5 MJ shield
Weapon : Impulse Ray Emitter
Installed ship extensions:
*Ore Collector
*Engine Tuning
*Rudder Optimization
Singularity Engine Time Accelerator.

From what I have read the only two MUST HAVE items are the weapon (to break up the rocks) and the ore collector. Maybe I need another item that I am not aware of. Just to clear things out I am doing this all myself because I only have one ship so far (I sold my other one to get the ore collector ^^) so this is not about commanding other ships to do this, this is all about how to do the process myself.

Any advice will be Appreciated.
Thx guys :)

*PS : Please don't post any spoilers on how to get rich quick etc. I want to progress through the game and figure out the best ways to make credits on my own.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 24. Feb 14, 12:42

It looks like Bunny's guide was written for X3R, where you had to open your cargo room, before you could collect any wares floating in space. In X3TC this is no longer needed and you can simply fly over wares or small asteroids/debris to pick them up.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Stgerrit

Post by Stgerrit » Mon, 24. Feb 14, 13:03

X2-Illuminatus wrote:It looks like Bunny's guide was written for X3R, where you had to open your cargo room, before you could collect any wares floating in space. In X3TC this is no longer needed and you can simply fly over wares or small asteroids/debris to pick them up.
So in other words all I need to do is just destroy the rocks and then fly over the little ones?
Thx for the reply :)
X3 Terran conflict (my first "space" game.)
I enjoy the complexity and the freedom to do whatever I want (this is exactly what I was looking for).
Using an Extreme 3D Pro Joystick.
Still learning a LOT and hoping to become more active in the forums.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 24. Feb 14, 15:38

If You get the collect ore software command you can do it automatically from the command menu. ie "Collect all minerals in sector".

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 24. Feb 14, 16:14

Also TC/AP speed is not an issue you can collect at any speed...tho with asteroid fields its highly advised not to go crazy and ram something that isn't at collectible size by accident. Granted getting into a "big" ship and employing "I ROLL LIKE A TANK" tactic is also viable... just make sure the ship has enough shields to accommodate to ramming all the rocks.

FYI collect all minerals command is best done on AI ship and OOS. That way there are no collisions and they do it much faster.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Stgerrit

Post by Stgerrit » Tue, 25. Feb 14, 13:21

Thx guys for all the information :).
I will definitely get that software when I have enough credits for it. and also an AI ship :).

Thx again guys this information is much appreciated
X3 Terran conflict (my first "space" game.)
I enjoy the complexity and the freedom to do whatever I want (this is exactly what I was looking for).
Using an Extreme 3D Pro Joystick.
Still learning a LOT and hoping to become more active in the forums.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 25. Feb 14, 22:08

You may have to scan at least one example of each resource that you intend to collect before you can assign a remote ship to collect it. I don't know if you can even pick up a rock until you know what it contains, but don't recall if I ever tried collecting without doing so.

That would involve a Mineral Scanner, which you didn't list.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”