Spacewalk boarding marines moving AWAY from target?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wheem
x4

Spacewalk boarding marines moving AWAY from target?

Post by Wheem » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 16:36

I'm trying to board a Yaki Ryu while using only my Skiron, but my marines simply aren't cooperating. The problem is that they always scatter a minimum of 1 kilometer away from me (2-6km seems to be about the "average" here), regardless of the angles/distances from the target that I launch them from. The Ryu itself is mostly stationary, occasionally speeding up to ~20m/s for a few seconds, but I believe that between my ship and the nearby asteroids, he's afraid to move very much due to possible collisions.

Then I noticed that a number of my marines were relatively close to the target, but were never landing - even though I made quite a few passes at the Ryu to keep his shields suppressed. After clicking on the marines I noticed that most were completely stationary, and this persisted across several reloads. Then, my most recent attempt, I noticed that only 4 got on board (which is the maximum that I've been able to land, and it's not enough), and that the other 4 were really far away. After clicking on some of those marines and checking the sector map, I can see that they're moving away from the Ryu, and often times going faster than their max speed of 28m/s - what gives?

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 17:11

From what you say it is a result of collision avoidance you have to get that Ryu after you and into clear space before you will have a chance of success.

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 17:21

shaun bergin wrote:From what you say it is a result of collision avoidance you have to get that Ryu after you and into clear space before you will have a chance of success.
I had thought that maybe the marines were suffering from collision avoidance as well, but wasn't really sure (it seems like enemy ships often treat them like missiles, prioritizing them as targets for turrets, and missiles don't try to avoid colliding).

'Course, my marines that were flying away from the Ryu were no longer near the asteroid field or any ships; the furthest one out was actually on the opposite side of the south gate, and continually moving away at ~60m/s. I eventually managed to get them all on board by launching them from 1.5'ish kilometers away while aimed at the side of the ship; thankfully the Ryu wasn't as interested in shooting at them as most of the M6's that I've boarded are.

Guess it's time to look into an M7M, even though I'm not interested in that "playstyle" in general - the Sirokos may be just what I need.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 17:28

Nah, forget the Siroccos get the cobra it is unbeatable with an elite team on board.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 18:10

Sirokos is the best boarding ship in the game, Wheem. There is nothing better.

Collision avoidance is a problem with spacewalk boarding. In a vanilla game, the only thing you can do is to release your marines at a slightly greater distance from the target. Which means releasing the marines in *front* of the target, so that the target flies into your cloud of marines.

In a modified game, Improved Boarding (Bullwinkle's Hacked Version) makes some small but important changes to spacewalk boarding, which help. It is still plenty challenging, but a bit less frustrating.

Alche
x3

Post by Alche » Thu, 3. Apr 14, 22:42

I assume the Ryu is moving because the Yaki are enemies. Very tricky to get the boarding right.

Its simpler to make friends, hire the Ryu, send it to Savage Spur, tell it to stop somewhere quiet, find a sweet spot about 1-2km above the Ryu where the turrets can't hit you, take down the shields, then launch your marines. Even with a stationary Ryu it took some practice to get right, but after that the money just rolled in.

And if the Ryu launches any fighters, whack them before they attack your marines. You’ll lose a little rep, but its easy to get back again with a mission or two.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”