Starting a new game after a long break.. Need some advice.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Arlex
x3

Starting a new game after a long break.. Need some advice.

Post by Arlex » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 17:54

Well the only advice I really need is which start I should choose. I usually pick the Humble Merchant and work my way up with trading and such with the Argon but that route is getting old. I know the Argon ships and structures like the back of my hand and I wanted to try a new races ships and structures. I was thinking about trying the Terran start for once and build my empire up from there. What are the pros/cons of the Terran start? IIRC once you complete a few(or maybe one, not sure) plots you get access to the Terran facilities but I have never even built a Terran facility before so I don't really know far I can go with them when building my empire.

In other words, is the Terran races ships and structures ideal for building a fleet/empire? Or will I eventually be building more Argon/Teladi/Boron structures than Terran?

I am playing Albion Prelude, if it means anything.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 18:08

Albion Prelude...

If you are a trader like me, the first priority would be to place cheap M5s in all factories as the GoD engine will delete them very quickly if you don't.

Next up is do the plots and get rid of the War-zones when given the opportunity to do so...NOTE you will need some decent fighting skills to complete this task.

I enjoyed build complexes that are Mostly, if not all, Terran.
There are some really good looking stations.

btw , the Terrans will reward you with a better sized PHQ than the Commonwealth will.

The other problems to factor in are the size of sectors and collision detection.
There are no jump gates in most of the Terran sectors, so travel can be laboriously slow.
And you have to check position of beacons BEFORE you do build missions.

Other than the above, You will enjoy the Terran starts.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 20:29

Mm, IIRC the Terran starts have you Hostile with the Argons (and eventually the Borons?), which is problematic because you need to go through several heavily patrolled Argon sectors or several Xenon sectors just to get out of Terran space. And even when you get past that, Argon military can be seen patrolling pretty much anywhere in Commonwealth space. Other than maybe core Paranid space and a few out of the way sectors here and there, there's nowhere really safe to build unless you make nice with the Argons, which kinda ruins the point of a Terran start.

So... I guess you have to ask yourself if that sounds like an interesting challenge, or just a rectal pain.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 20:44

Exactly why I said do the plots and broker peace.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 04:51

You can build a fleet out of Terran ships; they have some decent ships. And in X3AP, you can buy and deploy the factories that may disappear due to GoD removal or pirates.

As it's been said, the problems are that their sectors are huge and lacking jump gates, which screws up the NPC trader traffic. And also, you have to go through potentially enemy space to get out of Terran space.

Arlex
x3

Post by Arlex » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 15:04

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided try the Terran start using the XRM mod. Links all the Terran sectors, alows you to buy their stations easily, etc.

One other question, can someone please explain to me what this "god" thing is and why it just deletes stations?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 16:11

Arlex wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I've decided try the Terran start using the XRM mod. Links all the Terran sectors, alows you to buy their stations easily, etc.

One other question, can someone please explain to me what this "god" thing is and why it just deletes stations?
The Global Decision Engine, or "GoD" as we call it, is basically what runs the X-universe. It will remove any station that isn't deemed profitable, i.e. if a station has a full stock of its end product and doesn't sell any of it for a given (random?) amount of time, it will be removed by GoD. You can stop this by either start trading or park a cheap ship at the stations you want to keep, as GoD will not remove any station that has player assets on board.

On a sidenote XRM also take steps to prevent GoD from removing stations.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Arlex
x3

Post by Arlex » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 16:34

Zaitsev wrote:
Arlex wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I've decided try the Terran start using the XRM mod. Links all the Terran sectors, alows you to buy their stations easily, etc.

The Global Decision Engine, or "GoD" as we call it, is basically what runs the X-universe. It will remove any station that isn't deemed profitable, i.e. if a station has a full stock of its end product and doesn't sell any of it for a given (random?) amount of time, it will be removed by GoD. You can stop this by either start trading or park a cheap ship at the stations you want to keep, as GoD will not remove any station that has player assets on board.

On a sidenote XRM also take steps to prevent GoD from removing stations.
Interesting... I had no idea this thing even existed. Well at least XRM combats the GoD.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”