Weapons for my mistral?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stevee620
x3ap

Weapons for my mistral?

Post by stevee620 » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 00:10

Hi all, can anyone tell me the best weapons to add to my mistral super freighter and where i could buy them? I'm playing terran conflict, i have about 80 sectors, starting from herons nebula outwards, all friendly sectors apart from a few pirates, but don't really know where to start looking. I have the fight command softwares and i just want them to protect my ship. I try to avoid combat.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen.

Sorry, thats 80sectors Flown through. Just realized, so about 40 probably.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 01:25

It depends on what you plan to do with your TS. In general, no weapons are best if you are going to use one of the more sophisticated trading scripts (ST/UT, CAG, or CLS).

Add Fight Command Software so that the TS will drop drones. But having no weapons means that the TS will not waste time trying to shoot when it *should* be trying to jump to safety.

stevee620
x3ap

Post by stevee620 » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 01:53

Thanks for the advice, its my player ship that i want the weapons for. The one i cruise around in. I do have about 3 SCs at the moment though.
I remember a couple of weeks ago scouring around for drones, but all the places i went to were out of stock.
Just want something to put in my front and top turrets.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 01:57

What is an SC?

Mistral has a small laser generator, so I would use Particle Accelerator Cannons (PAC).

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 02:02

Cruising around in an SF? If you simply want cargo carrying capability, pick up a Chokaro from the Yaki, but if you must have a TS, so with the smaller and faster Mistral.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 02:49

Since most TS ships have just turrets if any and weak laser generators use PACs or even IREs they are just there to shoot missiles, you aren't going to win against anyone with TS firepower. So no point in debating just get anything thats good at shooting missiles, meaning high rate of fire and most importantly good projectile speed. IRE doesn't have good range... but it will mow down most missiles. PAC can do a bit of damage against m5s.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 03:10

NOTE: The following is an over-simplification and a bit exaggerated, but is very close to the truth.

The only effective defense for a TS ship is a jump drive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. All the guns and shields you may have put on just increase the loss when it doesn't.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Idleking
x3ap

Weapons for freighters

Post by Idleking » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 10:31

It depends on your style of playing the game I think.

If you want to play it safe, or have only small funds at your disposal, I'd recommend going with IREs for Missile Defence and a Jump Drive to get away from even potential threats.

If money isn't an issue and you like a challenge, stuff your Mistral up with Phased Repeater Guns all over the place. The PRG does more damage to both shields and hull, has a greater range, and roughly double the projectile speed of the PAC.
The Mistral can also launch a wide variety of Missiles, the most useful being Hurricanes and Thunderbolts, so everything short of a corvette should be scared if you play it right ;)
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 17:32

IREs in your turrets, set to Missiles Only. Some Wasp and Tempest Missiles.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 19:00

Don't bother arming a Freighter.
Let it jump out of trouble.
Any delay when it is under attack can result in a lost ship, and a lost cargo.

Even when I use the TS in a combat support role for my warships, I still lose millions each month in ships and supplies. But to mount a campaign one must absorb those losses.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 20:37

It's his personal freighter, guys. As in, the one he flys around in himself.

Not talking about an automated Mk3 trader here.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 21:34

OniGanon wrote:It's his personal freighter, guys. As in, the one he flys around in himself.

Not talking about an automated Mk3 trader here.
I think even if I'm in it myself the only safe TS is a jumping TS. I guess setting up some sort of 'combat hauler' might be an interesting experience though...missiles, missiles, and is there a TS that can mount an ammo based weapon in the turret? Give the auto-pilot an attack command and man the turret yourself...sounds dicey but worth trying out...

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

stevee620
x3ap

Post by stevee620 » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 21:48

Thanks for all your replies. The phased repeater guns sounds good to me. Now, where to get them. Anyone know off hand? Would save me yonks of searching my sectors visited. Oh, and bye the way, i meant STs , not SCs, :oops:

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 21:55

I always feel safer flying a freighter that has enough Wasps and Silkworms to annihilate a fighter group.
Timsup2nothin wrote: is there a TS that can mount an ammo based weapon in the turret?
In TC? Nah.

In AP there's the Split Drake which has twin EBC side turrets, and the Argon Lotan which can hilariously mount PBG turrets (and actually has the juice to use them).

---

edit: seriously mate, freighters don't have the laser regen to run any weapons. IREs for missile defense is all you can do. You want to kill something, you'll have to do it with missiles. Luckily (absurdly), the Mistrals have M3 grade missile compatibility. You can kill a frigate with a Mistral if you have enough Tornado Missiles. Not terribly practical, but I've done it.
Last edited by OniGanon on Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 21:58

stevee620 wrote:Thanks for all your replies. The phased repeater guns sounds good to me. Now, where to get them. Anyone know off hand? Would save me yonks of searching my sectors visited. Oh, and bye the way, i meant STs , not SCs, :oops:
Fighting in a TS is like trading with an M5. TS cannot recharge their guns fast enough to do real fighting. Even with a Caiman Hauler you can't hope to fight something bigger than an M4. You'll run out of energy before you can even dent the shields of an M3. But if you want guns on a TS, PRGs are pretty much the worst choice. They use too much energy for the damage they do.
I always refrain myself from arming a TS when I fly it myself. Makes one cocky and try to fight when running is the only option.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:03

Phased Repeater Guns are Argon Technology, so you should be able to find some in the Argon sectors around Argon Prime.

They're quite expensive though, roughly 160k Credits per.

Argon TS should be able to mount Mass Drivers in their turrets, and a PBG isn't an ammo based weapon btw :P
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:06

Idleking wrote:PBG isn't an ammo based weapon btw :P
I know. Was just pointing out the two freighters in AP that I've found actually capable of killing things without missiles.

stevee620
x3ap

Post by stevee620 » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:06

yes, i think i get the message now. Just run away! lol.
I would like to get my head around the weapons side of this game though. I've watched daves walkthrough vids, but i'm still baffled about the layout and the UI for weapons.
I've got some eclipes that i might try and arm, and just do a bit of shooting, won't be too gutted if i lose one of those.[/i]

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:10

stevee620 wrote: I've got some eclipes that i might try and arm, and just do a bit of shooting, won't be too gutted if i lose one of those.
Ummmm....if you lose it with you in it you'll be going back to a save anyway, so you really won't lose anything...

This thread is worth perusing for the beginning fighter.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 20. Apr 14, 22:13

Idleking wrote:
Argon TS should be able to mount Mass Drivers in their turrets
Should but can't, at least in TC. I guess a TS spewing basically endless ammunition would be a bit unbalancing. I know it would certainly change my pirating habits!

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”