Repair laser speed

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Symont
x3ap

Repair laser speed

Post by Symont » Mon, 28. Apr 14, 15:58

I was looking at the x3wiki today and noticed this about the repair laser

"It should be noted that despite the repair laser running out of energy while in use, it has no effect on the speed at which it repairs."

So it means that even when my laser is out of energy, it repairs at the same speed. right? just want to be sure about all the time i wasted waiting for my laser to recharge... :evil:

pr0nflakes
x4

Post by pr0nflakes » Mon, 28. Apr 14, 16:14

True.

Another thing to note is if you pick up a seta device with your space suit you can repair at 10x the speed by holding both the relevant keys at the same time.
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming
Powercolor RX56 Vega Red Dragon 8GB
16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 @3200MHZ
Windows 10 X64
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5058817

Symont
x3ap

Post by Symont » Mon, 28. Apr 14, 18:40

pr0nflakes wrote:True.

Another thing to note is if you pick up a seta device with your space suit you can repair at 10x the speed by holding both the relevant keys at the same time.
Didn't think about this one..... thanks!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 28. Apr 14, 22:28

But you loose the Seta when you return to the ship?

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Mon, 28. Apr 14, 22:38

Actually you completely use your Space Suit and everything in it since you can't eject anything from it.
You could even buy engine tunings and rudder opt. for it, but your Space Suit is spawned when you eject and destroyed when you enter a ship.
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Timsup2nothin

Re: Repair laser speed

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 00:36

Symont wrote:I was looking at the x3wiki today and noticed this about the repair laser

"It should be noted that despite the repair laser running out of energy while in use, it has no effect on the speed at which it repairs."

So it means that even when my laser is out of energy, it repairs at the same speed. right? just want to be sure about all the time i wasted waiting for my laser to recharge... :evil:
While that is what it says, it may or may not be true.

Get a pretty badly damaged M5.

Set Numeric Hull/Shield Display (under gameplay accessed from the same button that leads to 'save game' and such) to 'yes'.

Start repairs.

Count along as the numbers change...on an M5 they will change quickly and give you a nice rhythm.

So you will notice when your energy runs out and it changes abruptly...and significantly...because it actually doesn't fire while it recharges so repair speed is much slower.

Now, this is true: if you need to get 50,000 hull points out of your repair laser it makes no difference if it dribbles them out a few at a time in between very short recharges (just mash the button) or in bigger chunks in between longer recharges (waiting), but it does slow you down if you let it recharge fully because there may be a moment after it is fully charged and before you hit the button where it is doing neither. Ultimately you will need exactly the same total firing time and total recharging time to get the same results.

Now, since that is true what does it matter that the fully charged laser is faster than the spurting laser? It matters because you can get a fully charged repair laser without waiting for it to recharge. If you enter the ship and eject again you will come out with a new suit with a new repair laser, and this can be done much faster than the repair laser can get a full recharge. Depending on how quickly you can enter/eject/get on target this can have a significant impact on repair times.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Idleking
x3ap

Re: Repair laser speed

Post by Idleking » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 09:01

Timsup2nothin wrote:[..]Now, since that is true what does it matter that the fully charged laser is faster than the spurting laser? It matters because you can get a fully charged repair laser without waiting for it to recharge. If you enter the ship and eject again you will come out with a new suit with a new repair laser, and this can be done much faster than the repair laser can get a full recharge. Depending on how quickly you can enter/eject/get on target this can have a significant impact on repair times.
Set the "Confirmation on Eject" to "No", set the "Eject" and "boresight fire" keys to any two keys you can press simultaneously. You need to find a combination which lets you push both buttons without stopping firing for this to work.
All you need to do then is unmount the guns of your ship (an fighter class works best) or activate an unused weapon group, hold down both previously set keys for "boresight fire" and "eject".

You eject from your ship and your space suit will shoot at the target. You can use the mouse to hover over your fighter and just click it when your Suit's laserenergy runs out.
What will happen is that you immediately eject again, thus spawning a new space suit with full weaponenergy.

Rinse.
Repeat.
Profit.
:)
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 10:23

Like all damage lasers, the X3 repair laser (which delivers negative damage) gives a slightly different damage/repair rate each time you press the trigger (thanks to the RNG modifier effect). So the best way to get a good a repair rate (in my opinion) is to keep firing short bursts until you see the percentages tick over at a nice rate and then rest a calculator or diary on the space bar (which I have set as a spare fire button). The repair laser keeps that same nice repair rate even when it runs out of energy and cycles.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 16:34

Alan Phipps wrote:Like all damage lasers, the X3 repair laser (which delivers negative damage) gives a slightly different damage/repair rate each time you press the trigger (thanks to the RNG modifier effect). So the best way to get a good a repair rate (in my opinion) is to keep firing short bursts until you see the percentages tick over at a nice rate and then rest a calculator or diary on the space bar (which I have set as a spare fire button). The repair laser keeps that same nice repair rate even when it runs out of energy and cycles.
Have to respectfully disagree. Even the best randomly generated repair rate isn't all that good once it goes into the on again off again swapping with recharge time as compared to a continuous discharge. The block on lock on technique is certainly the easiest but it isn't the fastest. Even without using the enhancements Idleking suggests (good tips BTW) I can get much faster repair rates by jumping in and out of a ship to get full recharges.

On an M7 abandoned ship recovery if your intention is to get the ship docked at a shipyard and sold just before the timer runs out and you choose to use the time repairing the ship to improve sale price that faster repair rate can make a very big difference.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”