X3TC Dual moniters, multi core proc, and RAM tweaks?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Thom293
x3ap

X3TC Dual moniters, multi core proc, and RAM tweaks?

Post by Thom293 » Sun, 18. May 14, 19:42

I searched and found a recent thread on this, but it won't let me post in it for some reason. Sorry for new thread...

I have 2x27" moniters. I'd like to set it up so space is on one, and various menus or in-game Monitors are on another. i.e. I don't want to span or stretch space. Is this possible? I seem to remember it was with X2, but it has been years. I can't find a clear answer other than it is possible to span...

If it helps, I have 2xATI 6900m in crossfire.

Second question - I have a quad core. Is there a way to set up so this helps x3 as I know it can get CPU intensive, or does the game do it natively? Same with expanding ram - any tweaks, or will it use all of the extra I have?

Thanks in advance .

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 18. May 14, 20:06

Thom293 wrote:I searched and found a recent thread on this, but it won't let me post in it for some reason. Sorry for new thread...
Maybe it has been closed? Feel free to post the link here though.
Thom293 wrote:I have 2x27" moniters. I'd like to set it up so space is on one, and various menus or in-game Monitors are on another. i.e. I don't want to span or stretch space. Is this possible?
No, that's unfortunately not supported by X3. X2 was the last game in the series that supported something like that.
Thom293 wrote:Second question - I have a quad core.
X3 only uses one core. It will still benefit from other cores since those can be used for processing of OS background programs and drivers. You can try, if assigning one core directly to X3 has any benefits. But newer operating should usually take care of this pretty good themselves.
Thom293 wrote:Same with expanding ram - any tweaks, or will it use all of the extra I have?
Provided you have a 64bit operating system (that can make use of all of your RAM; more than 4 GB I guess), X3 will make use of it as best as it can on its own.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Thom293
x3ap

Post by Thom293 » Tue, 20. May 14, 04:31

Thank you!

Arisk
x3ap

Post by Arisk » Mon, 2. Jun 14, 13:34

Use a utility THG task assignment manager then you can assign task affinity to a certain core

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 2. Jun 14, 18:14

.. if you are a heavy X3 player then setting core affinity *may* shorten the overall life of your cpu as modern OS/BIOS do a good job of spreading cumulative load and stress serially across different cores for single-thread 'heavy' applications.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Thom293
x3ap

Post by Thom293 » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 21:18

Yeah - so just as a follow-up FYI - I have 12gb ram on a 64bit system. Game will use up to ~40-50% of the ram at time, so it does a good job using what is available. I have XRM, Pirate Base, and some other minor mods. Nothing major. Game runs smooth as silk.

Really would love native dual monitor support for this game. It just seems ideal for space games. Otherwise, no complaints. Great game so far. I wish I hadnt taken this long to try it out.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”