How to leave your game running and NOT lose rankings.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RustiSwordz
x2

How to leave your game running and NOT lose rankings.

Post by RustiSwordz » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 19:17

You need the following:

1x Multi shielded and multi gun vessel. Osprey or above is ideal.

1x Sucker of a pirate base.

Some scotch/sello tape. (no kidding)

Instructions as follows. Park said vessel just inside firing range of Pirate Base, commence firing upon pirate base with no more than x2 thats x2 ghepts or PPC's (anymore and you will destroy the pirate base and this is what we do not want at this stage.) if you are flying a vette with forward guns the scotch tape on your fire switch to keep the guns firing at base is useful so u can walk away. Pirate base will soon become nicely whipped and stirred into action launching fighters. Set all other turrets for 'missile defence' these will kill any fighters launched at you.

Walkaway from game, go down the pub, go to toilet, go to bed. The pirate base fighter wings will fling themselves at you pointlessly because as we all know pirate fighters are wusses and cannon fodder. Even if all the fighters are expended the base will still launch freighters (and if you attack from the docking port side you can catch the freighters in a crossfire as they come out causing them to attack as well!)

You can walk away because the dumb ass computer thnks you are still in combat and will not reduce your rankings and any kills you get will be added to your score/rankings! All without lifting a finger! And with a ship with shields more than 3x125 mw like the osprey are virtually invulnerableto attack!

When you return expect plenty of wares to collect and a nice increase in bounties and rankings.

Enjoy. :D :lol:

(if anyone has anything to add feel free. ) :D
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

Post by Guest » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 19:46

eh - what's the point?

Kitch
x3tc

Post by Kitch » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 19:49

I agree - bit pointless I think... but good if your a SETA player... well done for the working out, not gonna use this tactic myself though.

AndyH99
x2

Post by AndyH99 » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:08

If you could leave SETA on it would be worth it, but it'll switch off as soon as you get scanned by the fuzz.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:16

It wouldn`t work.

For the first hour or so, you`ll gain combat and race rank slightly from the turret kills, but if you do not interact with the computer after a certain amount of time, your ranks will drop regardless of the fact that your ship is out killing.

I think it doesn`t matter whether you use SETA or not, once the game detects it has had no interaction from the player after a certain amout of (real)time, the penalties start to kick in.
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

Donar
x3

Post by Donar » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:18

No offense but that is the dumbest thing I've heard suggested on this board, and that's saying a lot.

Who gets a game not to play it? Oh, wait! That's Dungeon Siege!
Don't feed the trolls.

Athlon XP 2500 Barton (oc'd to 2.2ghz)
Radeon 9800 Pro (modded and oc'd to a 9800XT)
1GB Geil PC3200 Ram Dual Channel
Soundstorm on-board audio
Abit NF7-S Mobo

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:31

Well that's a little harsh! I expect the idea is that you can leave the game on over night while your factories earn you money. Some people consider it cheating, some don't, personally I don't care as it doesn't affect my game.

I'm not sure I read the original thread right though, the idea is to park your corvette in range of the base, tape down your fire key and point its main guns at the base. Now, as soon as you shoot you'll deactivate SETA...
You were joking about the tape weren't you ^_^'

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:32

Nope. Without seta you'lll still got up a combat rank or two though.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

joebeard
x3

Post by joebeard » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:44

I know you'd go up in rankings, what I meant was that if the author of the thread intended this to be a solution for losing rank while you leave your game on SETA, this idea wouldn't work as SETA would be deactivated the moment you manually fired a shot.

What you could do is set one of the turrets to 'Attack my target' and set the target as the pirate base, and put the rest of your turrets on missile defence.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 21:13

Osprey...BHEPT tail turrets to attack target...GHEPT ventral and dorsal guns to missile defense.

It should work, though, I'd rather pay for my SETA factory splurges with the blood of my enemies in a -real- hairball, rather than shooting fish in a barrel. Much more fun that way.

cynric
x2

Post by cynric » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 21:15

won't work with seta anyway, as your ship won't fire a single shot when seta is activated

John16
x2

Post by John16 » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 22:08

why do people consider SETA cheating all it does is speed up playing time . Its not as if your ship gets faster or anything gets better. Or is it cos i dunno im a newbie

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 22:11

People don't consider it cheating as much as they don't see the point of leaving it on over night and getting enough to buy a capship after a couple of days of play.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

F_Forge
x2

Post by F_Forge » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 22:43

I've never been able to leave seta on for more than a coupla hours without losing enough mantas to eat up half the profits I make!!

Bloody khaak! :lol:
Fireforge
Mogul
Admiral

Flying - Split Dragon - 5 GHepts
Fleet - 44 ships, 17 facts

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 00:42

I haven't fully tested this, as I haven't done a night run (will do it tonight), but from 2 seta-hours:

If you go onto your personal information screen (with the ratings), plonk on seta.

I was monitoring intermittently, my trade ranking went up from my stations, but the combat rating hasn't dropped a single percent yet.
"I always loved saying 'space time condominium'." - Patrick Stewart.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 08:41

Extra note (and one i forgot to add) SETA wont be used, its a method of maintaining and increasing combat ratings in realtime.)

I've gone from Ace 3rd grade to second grade over night, so the interaction problem isnt effected.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

Summo
x3

Post by Summo » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 10:57

If you're going to leave the game running overnight, I find its much more effective to stick the player ship in a sector reasonably busy with enemies and leave it on 'Attack All Enemies'. Combat rating increases overnight, along with the trade and relations rating and of course, your bank balance.

Not sure if this works with SETA on, though.

Summo
x3

Post by Summo » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 10:59

As a side note, I don't see the big problem with leaving the game running overnight. If I owned a large company in real life I'd be pretty miffed if it only turned in a profit while I was physically sat in my office.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 15:21

Summo wrote:As a side note, I don't see the big problem with leaving the game running overnight. If I owned a large company in real life I'd be pretty miffed if it only turned in a profit while I was physically sat in my office.
Yup. :D
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 15:45

Unless... your chair was positioned so when you sat down, it would complete the circuit and power in your building would switch on enabling everyone to work.
"I always loved saying 'space time condominium'." - Patrick Stewart.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”