Mod compatibility questions...

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

k1ng r4t

Mod compatibility questions...

Post by k1ng r4t » Sun, 25. May 14, 21:19

Hey guys, so I really did try looking for this answer. And I've spent the better part of the last hour reading various modding threads. But I can't seem to find a straightforward answer...

I am a total mod noob other than DAO and ES which was pretty straightforward. I've gathered the plugin manager is a mod manager, so for PM compatible mods, does it find other compatibility issues automatically? And is there a way to know if a mod is compatible with the PM or with other mods? If it's not stated in the description does that generally mean it is or will I know after I dl it or what?

I'm particularly interested in the Halo mod. But I also see everyone saying how important it is to have the EMP mod. And now I've also come across the X3: Time of Truth mod which seems interesting. In a perfect world I'd like to use all 3 of these, but they all seem too massive to do so...but I can't find a way to know for sure. Lastly I'm sure I missed something here but I'm also not seeing much about if I have to start a new game for overhaul mods anyways or if it's integrated with my current game?

So I'm sorry if this IS a question that's been answered 100x, I know how annoying that can be, but I only found bits and pieces of what I'm asking yet not enough to make me confident enough to mess with my game file that I've put a lot of hours in already!

Thanks again :D

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 25. May 14, 22:20

Generally speaking, don't mix overhaul mods together. Time of Truth is not compatible with the Halo mod.

Scripting/Modding is a lot more safe in X3 than in Elder Scrolls, because X3 has a powerful script language, and ES has unstable tools that have a lot of bugs.

When you see "scripts", it's very likely that it will be compatible with a lot of things. See the library for more informations.
XRM, Litcube's Universe, Xtended are overhaul mods and can't be mixed together. They all require fresh start and a lot of users here have multiple copies of their X3 folder (the non-Steam exe helps).

Personally, I don't use the plugin manager. I like to know what files are added to my game and if it overwrites another file of the same name. But it's supposed to be safe and convenient :)

k1ng r4t

Post by k1ng r4t » Sun, 25. May 14, 22:33

Great answer!! Thank you!

I did think of another question though on the same topic...would it be possible to mod my current game with EMP/Halo AND start a new game with ToT? Or would I only be able to use one at a time because they're pulled from the same folder so unknown files would cause incompatibility??

Thanks again and this game rules!

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 25. May 14, 22:45

EMP is not a mod but a community resource to add wares. If you have a script/mod that requires EMP, just use the Plugin Manager, because it... manage things :)

Again, Halo and Time Of Truth are incompatible ; they both change a lot of things, like ships and economy of the game. If you want both of them, you need two separate folders of X3, and you'll have to use separate savegames as well.

You're talking about some very old mods. You should consider the Holy Litcube's Universe :)

(bear in mind that "mod", as you know, stands for modification, so you can't modify the same things twice without having odd consequences. The X3 community has always made the difference between a mod and a script (which is an independent file that adds things with code lines, so nothing is overwritten [most of the time]))

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 26. May 14, 07:06

Joubarbe wrote:If you have a script/mod that requires EMP, just use the Plugin Manager, because it... manage things :)
^^ This.

To restate it slightly more clearly/strongly: The PM has the best implementation of EMP currently available (other than overhaul mods that have EMP built-in).

k1ng r4t

Post by k1ng r4t » Tue, 27. May 14, 03:36

I admit I was a little confused by, "EMP is not a mod but a community resource to add wares. If you have a script/mod that requires EMP, just use the Plugin Manager, because it... manage things" but everything makes more sense now.

So I'll start by dl'ing the PM. I also admit I really just want to see the Halo mod. I like the major overhaul mods so I might check those out next, but tbh I'd love to fly a USCC Cruiser as soon as possible haha. Looking at all that script is too overwhelming off the bat....

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll figure more out as I go along. Or so I hope!

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 27. May 14, 03:52

Joubarbe wrote:Scripting/Modding is a lot more safe in X3 than in Elder Scrolls, because X3 has a powerful script language, and ES has unstable tools that have a lot of bugs.
Except some script/mod conflicts have a nasty habbit of only showing after 100 of hours game time :gruebel:
If you use pluginmanager, make sure the mod you want to use is designed for it... Because if it's not you won't get happy with it.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

k1ng r4t

Post by k1ng r4t » Tue, 27. May 14, 04:09

Killjaeden wrote:
Joubarbe wrote:Scripting/Modding is a lot more safe in X3 than in Elder Scrolls, because X3 has a powerful script language, and ES has unstable tools that have a lot of bugs.
Except some script/mod conflicts have a nasty habbit of only showing after 100 of hours game time :gruebel:
If you use pluginmanager, make sure the mod you want to use is designed for it... Because if it's not you won't get happy with it.
Edit: Scratch this post, I was definitely overthinking all this! I knew I was too...

Thanks again to everyone

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”