Need help on CLS2 setup.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

usfwoody
x3ap

Need help on CLS2 setup.

Post by usfwoody » Mon, 26. May 14, 21:53

I've identified some great opportunities to trade secondary resources to npc factories and think cls2 is the way to automate that. However, I have trouble setting it up. I set jumpdrive settings appropriately. I then try "generate waypoints" with buy minimum price the ware I identified. With a logistician pilot I get 32 waypoints o.O I deleted all but 4 and created sell instructions for the appropriate factories. My pilot just sat idle. My waypoints were B, B, B, B, S, S, S, S. Can someone with cls experience help me out?

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 26. May 14, 22:22

There's a few things that could be going on.

If the Buy waypoints don't have wares at the right price, the trader will sit on standby waiting for that price.

If supply conditions are set too high, the trader may be on standby waiting for the quantity to increase.

If the trader has other wares loaded, it may be on standby because it doesn't know what to do with them.

If you've made the purchase, and went on standby, someone beat you to deliver the goods and you need to wait.

A logistician can handle a lot more than 8 waypoints. Increase the number of buy points. You can also use generate waypoints again to find sell waypoints. It's just a matter then of sorting out how many buy and sell spots you want.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 26. May 14, 22:37

ancienthighway wrote:
A logistician can handle a lot more than 8 waypoints. Increase the number of buy points. You can also use generate waypoints again to find sell waypoints. It's just a matter then of sorting out how many buy and sell spots you want.
The hardest thing about this is that the pilot will run out of fuel and end up flying instead of jumping.

Back to the original issues...

First off, not related to the sitting on standby...when you said you 'set the jump drive' you do mean in the internals of CLS, not on the ship control console, right?

Anyway...if you have the guy set to buy at minimum it's very likely NPCs will be consistently buying before that price is reached. NPCs might start heading towards the supplier as early as price one below average. If you want to consistently get supplies at cheap prices you need a buyer sitting there waiting.

Take some junk freighters ( they are everywhere :pirat: ) and stick them in the stations with an apprentice CLS pilot. Set them to buy at some low price. Then use 'load from ship' waypoints on your main CLS guy to pick up from the buyers. Since the buyers are sitting right there the chances of the AI beating them to the deal go way down.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Mon, 26. May 14, 22:49

CAG might be better for this job rather than CLS II.

My personal view is this:
CLS II is great for purchasing ware from a stationary place. A aocked ship set to buy, perhaps dump it somewhere also. Basically 2 waypoints.

It becomes increasingly difficult to remain in control and remain sane when you start adding more than 15-20 waypoints.

What if a station pops up which buys your CLSII goods and you don't have it in the waypoint list? You might eventually find it and add it, but keeping track would soon become quite the task. Especially when you are doing universewide cornering of commodities.

That's why CAG set to seller from a central hub is the way to go.

Your profits soar and your hair stays on the top of your head.

Then again, many ways to Rome.
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

usfwoody
x3ap

Post by usfwoody » Mon, 26. May 14, 23:44

Patholos, I think you have the right way to think, relative to my problem. I was hoping to connect npc factories with goods without having to manually direct trades, but really my factories can supply those goods.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 26. May 14, 23:51

If you have the money to spend on a trading dock, yes, CAG may be the way to go. The Xenon hub and PHQ could work if those are available.

It sounds to me like the OP sees an opportunity to buy low and sell high for a ware he doesn't produce. CLS2, MORT, or 1/2 MORT work best for this.

I agree Tim, if all possible waypoints were used for a logistician, there may very well be a problem running out of jumpfuel. You've offered a solution to that in another post, sticking a junk transport at a station with a hold full of e-cells. Adding refuel waypoints at NPC SPPs would also work.

I didn't mean to imply that all possible waypoints should be hit, more like selectively keep and delete waypoints. If you want to supply massom powder in the northwest side of the map, you don't want to be visiting trading stations in the southwest or far to the east. In fact, you probably don't want to visit any trading stations. Instead waypoints should focus on the massom mills in Split sectors, and mainly on those sectors with more than one if that will satisfy the needs. So you end up with 3 or 4 sectors with 6+ stations to for buy orders. Then, however many sell stations you need.

If you are flush on transports, 1 buys and offloads into a "warehouse", and another picks up from the warehouse and sells it.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 27. May 14, 04:41

For your CLS2 you can calculate how much jump energy the trips will take and schedule Refuel Jump Energy in the waypoints. Also you can set your purchase price a bit higher (still well below the sell price) and see if that gets him to move. Also drop satellites in those sectors so you can always check on the prices and stock manually. I use CLS2 plenty to distribute secondaries, etc without the need for dedicated purchase ships in the locations (though that certainly optimizes your profitssss).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”