[MAP] Question

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

vukica
x4

[MAP] Question

Post by vukica » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 18:05

What is the maximum universe size?

x="23" y="19" ?

or can ther be more sectors?

i'm not saying i need 900 sectors, no i don't, no one does... BUT! i would like to know if there is a limit.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 18:21

... a few days ago i tried to add 4 sectors y = 18 & 19 and x = 21 & 22, but they didnt appear in the sector map (?) edit: ... i´m using this 0749.bob (square map)
... what i (think to) know is that sector (23|19) is the unknown sector you will jump in when using unfocussed jump drive

edit 2: ... enenra said that the count of entries in 0749.bob is limited to 1000 entries
... assuming that a sector has in average 4 gate connection nodes => 1000 / (5 entries / sector) = 200 sectors minimum
// dont know if that could be correct ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 23:04

The maximum amount of sectors is 480. The biggest x coordinate is 23, the biggest y coordinate is 19. There are even two commands in the Universe and Sector Commands section of the Script Editor returning both values:

<RetVar> = get max sectors in x direction
<RetVar> = get max sectors in y direction
JSDD wrote:... what i (think to) know is that sector (23|19) is the unknown sector you will jump in when using unfocussed jump drive
Correct.
JSDD wrote:edit 2: ... enenra said that the count of entries in 0749.bob is limited to 1000 entries
I'm pretty sure that this limit was removed with either of the later X3TC patches (possibly 3.0).
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 23:41

X2-Illuminatus wrote:The maximum amount of sectors is 480. The biggest x coordinate is 23, the biggest y coordinate is 19. There are even two commands in the Universe and Sector Commands section of the Script Editor returning both values:

<RetVar> = get max sectors in x direction
<RetVar> = get max sectors in y direction
JSDD wrote:... what i (think to) know is that sector (23|19) is the unknown sector you will jump in when using unfocussed jump drive
Correct.
JSDD wrote:edit 2: ... enenra said that the count of entries in 0749.bob is limited to 1000 entries
I'm pretty sure that this limit was removed with either of the later X3TC patches (possibly 3.0).
Thanks, i hope you're right regarding 1000 entries :)

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 5. Jun 14, 23:46

Just a side note on map authoring:

If you are going to make a brand new map, keep in mind a rather major detail: if a sector is isolated and has no other sector next to it on the grid, then all MSCI search commands that extend multiple sectors will fail in that sector.

For example,

If you have a sector at 0,0 - and no sectors at 0,1 and 1,0 - things like "find all shipyards in the universe" or "find best station for ware" etc, will fail if called from an entity in that sector.

Ensure your universe is well layed out on the grid and you wont have any problems, you can always make them appear isolated via creative use of the bod file.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 00:01

Jack08 wrote:Just a side note on map authoring:

If you are going to make a brand new map, keep in mind a rather major detail: if a sector is isolated and has no other sector next to it on the grid, then all MSCI search commands that extend multiple sectors will fail in that sector.

For example,

If you have a sector at 0,0 - and no sectors at 0,1 and 1,0 - things like "find all shipyards in the universe" or "find best station for ware" etc, will fail if called from an entity in that sector.

Ensure your universe is well layed out on the grid and you wont have any problems, you can always make them appear isolated via creative use of the bod file.
every sector needs to be adjacent to another sector?

well, that's new information...

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 00:21

... the same thing is also right for the mission director:
--> everyone of us played though the final fury plot
--> some of us had fun killing khaak "insects" in that sector where later the split outpost spawned
--> missions offered by actors of this outpost only considering the sector it is in (because it it not connected to any other sector)
=> because these instructions which need a reference sector & a number of jumps only find connected / neighbour sectors, but that´s an issue caused by the art of writing the missions (or respectively: trade/fight scripts etc.)

... assumig you create a few sectors connected to ech other BUT NOT connected to the rest of the universe => these sector group could be considered as a "parallel universe" (like aldrin & its neighbour sectors: ships spawning in these sectors will never enter any sector of the rest of the universe)
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

osirragkingXD
x3tc

Post by osirragkingXD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 06:42

JSDD wrote:... the same thing is also right for the mission director:
--> everyone of us played though the final fury plot
--> some of us had fun killing khaak "insects" in that sector where later the split outpost spawned
--> missions offered by actors of this outpost only considering the sector it is in (because it it not connected to any other sector)
=> because these instructions which need a reference sector & a number of jumps only find connected / neighbour sectors, but that´s an issue caused by the art of writing the missions (or respectively: trade/fight scripts etc.)

... assumig you create a few sectors connected to ech other BUT NOT connected to the rest of the universe => these sector group could be considered as a "parallel universe" (like aldrin & its neighbour sectors: ships spawning in these sectors will never enter any sector of the rest of the universe)

This is interesting I think I'll use this to my advantage in my mod :D
"I feel a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in Joy, as a new modder was born."

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 08:37

... to avoid that those "sector clusters" being empty (= no ships, comparable to sector "Maelstrom") you have to make clear that some ships should spawn in exact those sectors

<-- how to do ??
--> editing jobs.pck with the X3Editor-in-built "jobs-editor" (*link* ;) [use google-translate ^^])
--> add some new lines only 4 those new sectors
// use sector koordinates instead of other specifications like sector owner etc.

osirragkingXD
x3tc

Post by osirragkingXD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 13:48

JSDD wrote:... to avoid that those "sector clusters" being empty (= no ships, comparable to sector "Maelstrom") you have to make clear that some ships should spawn in exact those sectors

<-- how to do ??
--> editing jobs.pck with the X3Editor-in-built "jobs-editor" (*link* ;) [use google-translate ^^])
--> add some new lines only 4 those new sectors
// use sector koordinates instead of other specifications like sector owner etc.
thanks for the link
would sector owner work if I used one of the unused races?
"I feel a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in Joy, as a new modder was born."

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 17:36

<!--off-topic-->

... "unused races" ?? ... dunno what you mean ... u only can select the "normal" races ... take a look @ the pics i made 4 the jobs-tutorial
// things like e.g. "Race 1" or "Unknown" cannot be selected ...

osirragkingXD
x3tc

Post by osirragkingXD » Fri, 6. Jun 14, 21:21

JSDD wrote:<!--off-topic-->

... "unused races" ?? ... dunno what you mean ... u only can select the "normal" races ... take a look @ the pics i made 4 the jobs-tutorial
// things like e.g. "Race 1" or "Unknown" cannot be selected ...
by unused I mean unused by the vanilla scrips/jobs/missions etc...

there are 19 race id's (page 1266/301266/351266)
1="Argon" 2=Boron 3=Split 4=Paranid 5=Teladi 6=Xenon 7=Kha'ak 8=Pirates 9=Goner (10 just noticed this one isn't even in the text file I believe it is the player) 11=Enemy Race 12=Neutral Race 13=Friendly Race 14=Unknown 15="Race 1" 16="Race 2" 17=ATF 18=Terran 19=Yaki

of which I have seen the game use 1-10,14,17-19 the others I have yet to actually notice in the game, though I haven't been looking for them in missions yet... basically I am trying to see if even though there are already named if some aren't used.
Spoiler
Show
the UFO belongs to the Goners
Edit: i tried to make a map with a sector were y=20 and it wouldn't load in the galaxy editor it just sent the game back to the main menu

Edit 2: yeah I basically mean race 1 or race 2

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”