X3AP: Vanilla versus XRM

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

wizaerd
x4

X3AP: Vanilla versus XRM

Post by wizaerd » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 18:37

Confession time, I've never played X3AP vanilla. I didn't get into it until after it had been out for a while, and XRM (rebalanced mod) was already out and available. XRM added so much that I immediately jumped into it. However, the main plot line of Albion Prelude was unavailable.

From the XRM Compatibility Notes: NOTE - The main Argon plot is not available in Albion Prelude. This is due to compatibility issues with the XRM replacement "War". However, the new Terran, PHQ and HUB plots are available. Also the Corporation and Treasure Hunt plots from TC are available in XRM:AP.

Am I missing anything really good or spectacular if I've never actually played this main Argon plotline? Especially since the resulting plots that plotline opens up are indeed available in XRM from the beginning?

SirDeathwalker
x4

Post by SirDeathwalker » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 18:45

You may receive several different answers, since you posted this in the "modder's" portion of the forum, You will likely get more leaning towards mods in general then those leaning towards vanilla.

That being said, you don't have to go vanilla to get the main plot, just don't use a mod that makes it unavailable (many fine mods allow the main plot just fine)

For curiosities sake if for nothing else, the main plot is fun, maybe a few details into the X-universe, it's worth doing at least once.

Edit: Because, admittedly, only you are the only one whose opinion matters when it comes down to it.
Last edited by SirDeathwalker on Sat, 7. Jun 14, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

wizaerd
x4

Post by wizaerd » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 18:50

SirDeathwalker wrote:You may receive several different answers, since you posted this in the "modder's" portion of the forum, You will likely get more leaning towards mods in general then those leaning towards vanilla.

That being said, you don't have to go vanilla to get the main plot, just don't use a mod that makes it unavailable (many fine mods allow the main plot just fine)

For curiosities sake if for nothing else, the main plot is fun, maybe a few details into the X-universe, it's worth doing at least once.
I thought about posting it in the main thread, but I've seen a lot of responses that say along the lines of "modded discussions in the mod forum only", so I posted here... And I wasn't really trying to compare Vanilla to basic mods, but Vanilla in comparison to XRM specifically. Truth be told, having not playing Vanilla before, I'm not sure which non-XRM mods would be of interest, and I don't want to be one of those people who post "What mods should I get" topics...

So I'll read a few more forums posts to try and build a list... Perhaps I should try Vanilla if no other reasons than I haven't done it before.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 18:51

Never finished it, never wanted to.

In fact, I'm not even sure whether or not I've finished the main plot ; so there's probably nothing spectacular.

I remember very well the campaign of Privateer 2 The Darkening on the other hand :)

(play Litcube's Universe if you want a vanilla feeling, but no plots at all in this one)

SirDeathwalker
x4

Post by SirDeathwalker » Sat, 7. Jun 14, 19:01

wizaerd wrote:So I'll read a few more forums posts to try and build a list... Perhaps I should try Vanilla if no other reasons than I haven't done it before.
you got it, the only reason that really matters

soulmonarch
x4

Post by soulmonarch » Mon, 9. Jun 14, 18:48

As a guy who played all of the plot lines from TC and through most of AP, I can honestly say I don't miss them at all. I love the X Universe and it's lore, but the missions have always been more than a little buggy and arbitrary, in my humble opinion.

The thing that makes me love X3 so much is the sandbox space empire I get to build. The feeling of leveraging my a giant trading corporation to equip a huge military fleet and then leading it into battle in my own flagship... priceless. The plots really just seemed to get in the way of that for me.

Someone else already mentioned it here, but if you feel like I do about the sandbox you should definitely try out Litcube's Universe. I can't give it enough praise.
"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my 'run' key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."
- The Oath of the Vidmaster

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Tue, 10. Jun 14, 00:51

I loved the plots and respected their necessity so much that I spent a considerable amount of effort to remove every trace from LU.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 10. Jun 14, 01:19

treasure hunt was fun.

x2 had a good plot.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”