Terran Conflict.Windows 7 compatibility

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

walneyite
x3tc

Terran Conflict.Windows 7 compatibility

Post by walneyite » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 16:52

Hello again,I reloaded Terran Conflict version 1.1.The computer would not run it and came up with a window stating that the tages protection driver was incompatible with windows 7 also a starmax driver was incompatible.If this game is still available in a windows 7 compatible form I would buy it.Thanks for any help you can give.Alan Williams

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 18:33

Hi again. In your other thread, I said:
  • "Yes please post again in the X3TC/AP Tech Sp forum with all the information about your game (source, modded or not, patch/update state, etc) and about your system (especially a full current DxDiag). Please include any relevant error messages from Event Viewer and, if a Steam game, confirm that you have recently verified the gamefile cache.

*Updated* vanilla X3 games and Win7 work fine together. The issue will most likely be something in your game or OS installation .... "
Despite the continuing lack of information here, it is obvious from your comments above that you have not updated (patched) an early DVD version of the game and so have not got the later versions that saw all DRM protection removed. Update before playing as I stressed in the other thread and the game will most likely run straight away and you will not get those error messages with Win7. (This issue was also covered in this Common Problems Sticky on this forum which also details how best to update/patch the game. It almost always pays to read the Tech Sp Stickies and Announcements before seeking further assistance. :wink: )
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

walneyite
x3tc

Post by walneyite » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 20:48

Thankyou for the reply.I have played this game for years.I have had to have the hard drive formatted to take windows 7 and so lost all the updates.The game will not put up the first screen which allows me to update.I get a message from tages stating that only an administrator can start the game.I have been on the tages site and it will update the driver if I have admin. authority which I dont have.I will try and reinstall and see if the updatepage will show.Thanks for your continuing support.Alan Williams

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 21:47

You do not need to run the game to patch/update it! Just download and apply the 1.0.1-3.2 patch from here before you play it and all should be well.

Are you being put off by a question mark on the updater patch suitability page? If so just ignore that and download and apply the biggest patch as above (the patch suitability function has been broken for a long time unfortunately).

walneyite
x3tc

Post by walneyite » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 21:52

Thankyou.I have done as you suggested.The game crashed to desktop but I have updated the tages software and it appears to have sorted it out.Once again thanks for your help.Alan Williams

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 17. Jun 14, 21:54

Err ... if Tages is still running then you have not patched the game successfully ... or you have Tages remnants hanging about unnecessarily.

There is a tool from the Tages site that completely removes all Tages drivers from your system. Use the one suitable for your Win7 version (ie 32 or 64 bit). I suggest that you do that or you may have further problems downstream.

Then apply the big patch again in the correct game folder before you try to run the game. When it then starts you should see version 3.2 on the splash and loading screens - and be Tages-free.

Just for background info, it was a similar case with updates to X2/X3:R removing the need for StarForce DRM as shown here.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”