[X3TC] Where to store vast quantities of stuff

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

travelboyuk
x3ap

[X3TC] Where to store vast quantities of stuff

Post by travelboyuk » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 08:17

Hi,

I'm messing around building complexes and mobile mining (partly in preparation for the Hub plot). I've set up a 12 station Teladianium plex and it's produced to maximum.

I bought a Mammoth TL and then had my TS fill it to the brim with Teladianium, the problem is that isn't very much (about 10,000 I think).

Q: Is there somewhere I can store vast amounts without having to keep buying Mammoths?

This also applies to my mobile miners who are all full of ore with no place to stash it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Storage

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 08:55

Actually, there isn't. I've found that the cheapest way to store large quantities is the biggest TSs, without Cargo Bay expansion. If you have the money, then expand them. In my game, I store Microchips. Everything else is just too big.

If you have set up production, you are doing it right. Just let it fill to capacity. When the Plot comes, you're ready.

It might be too early in the game to have them, but the Atmo Lifters have even more capacity than Mammoths.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Re: Storage

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 09:36

Bill Huntington wrote:I store Microchips. Everything else is just too big.
What Bill said.
My answer to your question reading just the title was going to be - The Hub - it can store more than EQDs
It won't take long to collect the non-microchip stuff so I'd focus on the chips.

Alternatively, stations have a lot of storage so depending on the ware it might be cheaper to buy stations that produce the ware, or use it as a resource, and store it there - just don't worry about them producing anything (when they're complexed you can turn off production so they don't complain)
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 10:47

Teladianium, ore, and silicon are too widely available, whether your own production or excellent purchase price, for me to stockpile into ships. While it's difficult to control availability at NPC stations, you can quickly replenish depleted stocks at your own.

While TLs have the largest hold capacity, it comes at a cost. Six Mistral Super Freighters with the basic cargo hold will hold as much as a Mammoth at roughly one third of the cost.

Lord Kellmar
x3tc

Post by Lord Kellmar » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 10:59

An Aran full of TSes can act as a HUUUUUGE storage AND can move all that stuff in a single jump :)
But you need the unfocused jumpdrive (Goner plot), a good booarding party and some time (and/or luck)...
Gnature Gnature Gnature Gnature Gnature Gnature
[ external image ]

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 12:35

In the Boron shipyard in Queen's Retribution!!

Here is what I do:

- Buy an Orca and just upgrade the engines
- Set up a CLS mk 2 to load resources from my factories/mobile miners and unload them to the Orca
- Buy Dolphin Superfreighter XL and max their cargo
- Manually transfer all requirements from Orca to the Dolphins and change their name depending on the wares they contain..
- if the ware is needed, I jump in an Aran and have all Dolphin containing the needed ware to dock with the Aran

The Boron shipyard internally docks TS so I can store an infinite numbers of them in there. The process is all automated except the transferring and renaming part..

Edit: This can also be done in the Argon super shipyard in Legend's Home using the cheaper Mercury SF XL and the split super shipyard in Patriarch's Conclusion with Caiman SF Xl.. but the Mercury's cargo space is inferior and the sector is far away from where I had my mobile miners while the Caiman is more expensive

travelboyuk
x3ap

Post by travelboyuk » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 14:48

Thanks for all the responses guys.

The Aran option looks good as a depot. Will have a look for one soon. until then, guess I'll keep buying Mistral SFs, filling em up, then parking them until needed. I haven't even armed my mobile miners, but have put shields on just in case.

Q: Which M6s make good patrol ships? My main ship is the Springblossom, but I've read that they are terrible when computer controlled. I can believe this as autopilot killed me 2 or 3 times when in the vicinity of a couple of asteroids. (I no longer bother with autopilot).

I'm about to start setting up the first microchip complex in Ore Belt. Just bought a Dragon as I didn't have anything smallish that can mount a tractor beam. I want to move some asteroids near to where I'll put my complex.

Q: Will 3x64 yield Silicon roids be enough for a 20 factory chip plant complex?

Thanks in advance again folks.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 14:51

Note that a modest cargo space upgrade is cheap; a full upgrade costs a lot more per unit of cargo. After some point, it starts getting cheaper to buy another TS instead, but I haven't done the math to figure out where that point is for each individual model of freighter.

Normally, I add about 100-200 extra cargo spaces per TS, when I buy and equip the ship. In your case, the extra couple hundred spaces per ship is still a "drop in the bucket", but better than nothing. Personally, I wouldn't try stockpiling that much Teladianium in the first place; it's too cheap and quickly replaced to be worth the storage space.

travelboyuk
x3ap

Post by travelboyuk » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 16:02

I hear you. I kinda overdid it with the Teladianium Plex (16 Factories). Just want to move some so production can resume. I've got a CAG selling some as well as almost every snail ranch and soyery for several sectors around has none in stock.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 16:17

With the Hub-plot in mind: the cheapest way to store Silicon is to build a complex consisting of Silicon Mines L on ALL asteroids in a sector plus a M-sized Energy-resource. Every mine let you store 1040 Silicon. Prize per uni is cheaper than any other storage space (well, with the exception of Arans found in US).

See my old post .

travelboyuk
x3ap

Post by travelboyuk » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 16:45

OK.That sounds like a bit too much work for my liking. Thanks though.

BTW: You said US. Does that mean Unknown Sectors?

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 17:31

Yes. Sorry for using X3-slang.

Never heard that Arans were found somewhere in the United States, though :mrgreen:

Edit: oh, 3000 posts in ~9 years

travelboyuk
x3ap

Post by travelboyuk » Fri, 20. Jun 14, 17:43

I heard one was spotted near Miami. But unconfirmed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”