[X3:AP] Most practical attack missile for AI-comtrolled fighters?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] Most practical attack missile for AI-comtrolled fighters?

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 07:19

I've wondered which was the most useful missile to equip drone fighters with. After reading the descriptions and seeing it in action, I settled on the Tempest. It's powerful, much faster than almost anything bigger than an M5 and auto retargets. Though it can only target Hostile ships, it is satisfactory since I only throw my drones against hostiles anyway. One consideration I had was, it's not practical to change the equipped missile of a dozen fighters on the fly during a battle. This seemed like the missile that could deal with the most situations and I could produce myself.
I liked it so much I built a complex to produce them. Did I make the right call?
The complex also produces Thunderbolts and Mosquitoes. Eventually, it will also produce Hornets, Hurricanes, Wasps, Typhoons, Flails, Hammers, Tomahawks and Firestorms.

Larxyz
x3tc

Post by Larxyz » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 07:58

Thing to rember with ai controlled fighters is that the missiles fire is not based on need, generally, but on a %age chance thats checked every now and then. So its quite possible for your fighters to spam too meny missles for the target.
So would recommend either cheap missles that go really quick, like hurricanes for m5 targets o wasps with the swam thingy, great for ai fighters. Tempest on the other hand has the nice feature that they retarget if the current target is destroyed :)
SO yea, not a bad choice!
If your using m6 or bigger drone ships, might want to look at the typhoon
/besty

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 08:38

Larxyz wrote:Thing to rember with ai controlled fighters is that the missiles fire is not based on need, generally, but on a %age chance thats checked every now and then.
I know, that's why I set the missile fire chance to 80%. From what I see, the Tempest is the best missile to have in the tube when the drone does fire.
If your using m6 or bigger drone ships, might want to look at the typhoon
/besty

I'll get to them, but it'll have to wait a bit.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sat, 21. Jun 14, 11:36

depends on what fighter you want to use.. I generally use missiles that doesnt strip more than 50% of the ship's shields if it misfires.. I use Thunderbolts + Hurricane missiles on Falcon Haulers / Sentinel, Argon Eclipse.. Silkworm + Wasp on any fighter with less than 100Mj shield.. I set missile fire probability depending on how many fighter I'm using in battle..

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”