X3R Windows 7/8 installation issue - Resolved, prevent disk loading old WMP version

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

MadVento

X3R Windows 7/8 installation issue - Resolved, prevent disk loading old WMP version

Post by MadVento » Wed, 25. Jun 14, 18:15

A few months I tried to install X3 Reunion from the original CD i had ( local distributor) in my PC (w7 64bits) and it went really wrong. I had to recover the OS. I used to play the game on a previous pc with an w98(?) so l thought it to be some incompatibility with the OS and moved on.

However I saw on the forums today there are a few threads with processes to go around some installation issues and run it in W7/W8, so my question is:

If I go for some STEAM deal and buy X3 reunion again will its installation be straightforward like any new game or will I need to do alternative processes to ensure it installs and run properly? (thinking of machines running w7 64 or w8.1 64)

Thank you in advance for help.

Cheers

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 25. Jun 14, 18:29

When installing from CD/DVD you have to patch to the latest version (2.5), after the installation has finished, but before running the game for the very first time. For any game version this is easily done with the 1.0 -> 2.5 complete patch.
X3R uses an outdated version of Star Force, which is not compatible with newer Operating Systems. The copy protection however was patched out with version 2.0. Apart from that X3R runs fine on Windows 7 / 8.

If you buy the game from Steam, installation is as straight forward as with any Steam game.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Grassturtle
x3

Hmmm ...

Post by Grassturtle » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 07:11

This is not the experience I am having ...

I used to play X3 on windows xp pro pc ... now I have windows 8.1 pro ... I tried to install the game and the install failed ... so could not even update ...

there is an incompatability issue with windows runtime ...

are there any alternatives for installing X3 reunion from the disks on window 8.1 pro?
Station Comm : Would the pilot with the fleet of capitol ships, please take what they want.

Think outside the box .....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 11:56

@ Grassturtle: Are you sure your CD/DVD is not damaged? There is no reason I am aware of why Win8 should not install an X3R CD/DVD version.

Also check that your system protection applications such as AV or UAC are not blocking the install or exe for some unwanted reason such as a false-positive or little-known exe detection on say the StarForce codecs on the disk.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Grassturtle
x3

Post by Grassturtle » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 19:11

I know my disks are in brand new condition ... like i stated previously ... it works on xp pro ...

I know my AV is not blocking it ... im using Windows Defender ...
What is UAC? ...

Pretty sure StarForce is not the problem ...

I get all the way through install ... click finish and it sends my computer into a perpetual repair restart loop ...

The only error message I receive is ... Compatibility issue Windows Runtime 9 ... get that message during install going to try it a gain and see if i can figure out a solution ...
Station Comm : Would the pilot with the fleet of capitol ships, please take what they want.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 20:14

Pretty sure StarForce is not the problem ...

I get all the way through install ... click finish and it sends my computer into a perpetual repair restart loop ...
Actually that sounds exactly like the usual incompatible copy protection (here: Starforce) problem. Check if the installer gives you the option to start the game after finishing the installation (there should be a checkbox on the last window of the installer iirc) and deactivate it (i.e. remove the tick from the checkbox). Then apply the 1.0 -> 2.5 patch.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Grassturtle
x3

Post by Grassturtle » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 20:58

it was not star force ... you should read the whole post before jumping to conclusions ...

the problem was Windows Media ...

Grassturtle
x3

Windows Media Technologies Conflict ...

Post by Grassturtle » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 21:08

Alright here is the solution ... its very simple ... this is an install from the disks ... I have version 1.3 but it should work with all disk versions ...

1. Install as usual with one exception ( at the begining it will start by trying to install Windows Media Technologies, when it does, just click cancel )

2. Finish install

3. install the 1.0 to 2.5 update ...

4. go to where you installed the game ie. ( C:/ program files x86/ egosoft/ X3 reunion ) finde the X3 .exe file ... right click and select Send to ... then select Desktop create shortcut ...

5. Click the shortcut on your desktop and enjoy playing ...

Thanks for the fast response from the mods ...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Windows Media Technologies Conflict ...

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 18. Aug 14, 21:39

Thanks for the detailed workaround steps. I am sure that the same deselection would apply to any old XP game trying to install an old version of say WMP, DirectX, etc unsupported by the new OS.

BTW, this is Win8 UAC.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”