[X3:AP] Operation: Capture Hercules, what do I need?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] Operation: Capture Hercules, what do I need?

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 28. Jun 14, 20:56

For my first attempt at capturing a ship, I've lured a Hercules into a pirate sector. I've got an M7M with Flails, Hammers and Boarding Pods and drones.
The thing is, it's got an Advanced Software Firewall. What skill level Hacking do I need to crack that and how many hackers do I need?

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 28. Jun 14, 21:06

I would highly advise against your first boarding attempt being versus ship that has hull polarizing devise, advanced firewall software or internal laser systems or marines not passengers actual marines.

Also if I remember right Hercules doesn't have up/down turrets so... flying point black in his belly works just fine.

Remember in AP, turrets are really good at shooting missiles down that includes pods.

As far as actual numbers needed to bypass specific denses I don't rightfully even know. I would imagine you need a lvl 4-5 marine with hacking... but that's a guess.

Xenon ships - lvl 5 everything and you will always loose marines anyway.
Terran ships - not as bad as xenon but still harder then normally.
Everything else is basically the same.
Just defensive systems and marines increase requirements.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

RayF

Post by RayF » Sun, 29. Jun 14, 09:50

Nothing extraordinary is needed.

Since you dont mention how many marines/level you have , a total of 10-15 marines would do the job just fine depending on your marines levels.

Just make sure you include 2 of your best marines at every level (mech, hacking, fighting...) and fire away.

Most important thing is to manage to land all pods on target. For that you can use your favorite technique, and also remember to save before pods reach target.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 29. Jun 14, 20:21

I've managed to locate a better target. A Mammoth with no extra security features.
I have a question, if I pull marines out of training prematurely, do they retain the progress they have already made? Because most of my best marines were placed in an extra cycle of training when I decided to postpone the attack on the Herc.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 01:52

They don't retain progress if you pull them out.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 03:01

Hmm... I bet I don't get my money back either, right?

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 09:53

Jimmy C wrote:Hmm... I bet I don't get my money back either, right?
Nope. Hence the benefit of taking short courses over long ones :P

Just save and try to do it with what you have. If result is not to your liking wait until your better marines are available.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 21:24

I'm happy to report I successfully captured the Mammoth.
Lost one marine, 3 Argon ranks, and more than half the hull.
Now to clean up the mess...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”