Advice on mods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

kaistern
x3ap

Advice on mods

Post by kaistern » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 13:36

I am looking for advice on mods for x3ap.... I prefer piloting fighters rather then just sitting in a carreir with fingers crossed....... I want big fleet battles in my future. Also I dont want to have to restart.... i already have a nice economy save to base my future fleet on.

What I am already planning on
XRM with hull+
Codea
Mars
NPC Bailling
Pure X Hud (iffy is it worth it?)
and advanced complex HUB

Any thing else that would make my game funner?

vukica
x4

Re: Advice on mods

Post by vukica » Mon, 30. Jun 14, 13:40

kaistern wrote:...
Also I dont want to have to restart.... i already have a nice economy save to base my future fleet on.

XRM with hull+
you need to restart for XRM to work.
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 05:11

well darn.... i guess that ill just have to restart

any ideas on mods?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 06:40

I always use Improved Races, Marine Repairs and Improved boarding along with XRM, Codea and NPC bailing. I also use the gateless jump script, which basically lets you jump to any point in a sector you have already visited, but I use it mostly for immersion.

MARS is good if you want to bring a few M2s and let them slug it out, but it makes the life of a fighter pilot pretty hazardous to put it that way (read: I've seen fighters get one-shotted with PPCs), although the player always has the advantage of strafing. Of course, XRM introduce a lot of beam weapons, which are basically insta-hit if you get within range, so again, hazardous.

EDIT: Oh, and the bonus pack. Always the bonus pack, as it contains some very useful tools. Or you can visit Lucike's web page and get the updated versions of CAG, CLS and MDM instead.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Sat, 5. Jul 14, 18:27

well i installed XRM and found out my comp is not up to the task of running xrm.... so I had to uninstall it

are Improved races, marine repairs, improved boarding, npc bailing and codea CPU intensive?

Thanks for the tip on MARS i was kinda wondering on those lines but i had heard good reviews..... And I have the bonus pack already it was the first one i got

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Sat, 5. Jul 14, 18:36

@Zaitsev: btw I started reading you DiD. Kudos, what i read so far actually distracted me from x3.....

Tahlmorra
x4

Post by Tahlmorra » Sat, 5. Jul 14, 19:54

kaistern wrote:well i installed XRM and found out my comp is not up to the task of running xrm.... so I had to uninstall it
If performace is a concern, may I recommend Litcube's Universe? As described here, a huge amount of effort has been put into improving the overall performance of the game while simultaneously adding a large amount of content.

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Sun, 6. Jul 14, 21:46

Litcubes's Universe looks awesome, I cant wait till it finishes installing. Do you know if it will work with the other mods? I noticed a post about it working with improved races, but couldn't find anything about marine repairs, improved boarding, npc bailing, gateless jump and codea.

Do ya'll know a good Pirate guild mod that would work with Litcube's?

diabolos099
x3ap

Post by diabolos099 » Sun, 6. Jul 14, 22:01

i found this thread a while ago:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=367414

-- Marine Repairs and Training
-- Marine Repairs and Training-V2.13-Non-LU by DrBullwinkle
(dont know the difference between those two)
-- NPC Bailing Addon v 1.7.8 (don't forget JSON Parser Library!)
-- MARS (needs update to work with new weapons, Goblins work)
-- CODEA v3 (Needs Modified LucikesLibraries)

i personally dont know how get the yellow mods working (maybe they work partially or overwrite LU features but i never tested it)

helps a little bit to find mods for LU. its a shame though that the bonus package provided by steam is overwriting some scripts of LU :(

Tahlmorra
x4

Post by Tahlmorra » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 03:48

kaistern wrote:Litcubes's Universe looks awesome, I cant wait till it finishes installing. Do you know if it will work with the other mods? I noticed a post about it working with improved races, but couldn't find anything about marine repairs, improved boarding, npc bailing, gateless jump and codea.

Do ya'll know a good Pirate guild mod that would work with Litcube's?
What diablolos said. Keep in mind that the plugin manager isn't compatible with LU (it screws with some of the scripts, which have been modified heavily). You can, however, use the advanced version of plugin manager to extract the .spk files and manually install as described here.

I would recommend that you read through the wiki before installing scripts. some of those you listed above have similar functionality already included, and every script you install is going to hurt performance a bit.

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 10:35

Well I installed LU but i just didn't like the feeling... It felt more laggy then vanilla IDK why every thing just seemed to go very slow and jump around, while vanilla is smooth. But I aso didn't like the hud changes.

The one thing I fell in love with was the idea of revelation and the phanon co. I am adding both of those to my list.. as i remove complete LU :(

So after completely reinstalling my X3 game (I played with some other mods after and I want to make sure I have completely removed them) My list now looks like this: Bonus pack, IR, Rev., Phanon, NPC bail, Marine Repairs, Imp. Boarding, Codea, and gateless jump.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 10:52

kaistern wrote:Well I installed LU but i just didn't like the feeling... It felt more laggy then vanilla IDK why every thing just seemed to go very slow and jump around, while vanilla is smooth. But I aso didn't like the hud
sounds like a bad install.
did you use the provided installer or did you install manually?

what is your system spec?

Berhg
x4

Post by Berhg » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 12:18

Hi Kaistern. If you are going to restart with XRM or a vanilla based game I suggest Custom Start http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=315051 which can set you up from the start with an approximation of what your old empire was worth. Also don't be afraid to use the cheat package to reaquire what you have gained in your previous games. Its your sandbox. :)

Regarding LU did you try maximizing your graphics settings? Putting texture settings to high solve a lot of performance issues in that mod. As far as compatibility between other mods and LU there's a thread for that here. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=367414 And don't run the mod manager when you are using LU it messes with stuff.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 15:53

kaistern wrote:Well I installed LU but i just didn't like the feeling... It felt more laggy then vanilla IDK why every thing just seemed to go very slow and jump around, while vanilla is smooth.
I wish people would read. 7 years making LU 7 minutes to read the f directions.

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 18:17

@Litcube: You honor me with you presence here. That being said; I did actually spend hours reading the wiki, and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. However my skills in life tend towards fixing people not computer games. It is entirely possible the i messed somewhere.

@Burg: Actually I had every thing reduced as low as it could go.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 18:19

kaistern wrote:@Litcube: You honor me with you presence here. That being said; I did actually spend hours reading the wiki, and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. However my skills in life tend towards fixing people not computer games. It is entirely possible the i messed somewhere.
Alright. The symptoms you're describing with LU are typical with vanilla scripts still being present.

Can't do much about the AI, though. :)

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 18:20

kaistern wrote:@Burg: Actually I had every thing reduced as low as it could go.
go for high. just do it.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 04:56

kaistern wrote:@Litcube: You honor me with you presence here. That being said; I did actually spend hours reading the wiki, and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. However my skills in life tend towards fixing people not computer games. It is entirely possible the i messed somewhere.

@Burg: Actually I had every thing reduced as low as it could go.
Stick the Graphics settings to high. The result may surprise you. Leave the Antialiasing (AA) off and Anisotropic Texture Filtering (AF) can usually be set to 2x or 4x without any impact in performance. If you find you are running smoothly you can ty AA set to 2x to see if it affects performance for you.

If you are still having a couple of issues with performance uncheck "More Dynamic Light Sources"
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

kaistern
x3ap

Post by kaistern » Sat, 12. Jul 14, 08:56

Ok now i have a stupid n00b question...

I have installed IR, yaki armada, pirate guild, codea, NPC bail, Marine Repairs, Imp. Boarding and the cheat mod. oh and a custom ship, Andromeda... it isn't exactly balanced (can only put PPC on the right side of the ship lol) but since I just wanted an awesome looking carrier it does its job

To the question

When installing the mods that required me to manually install T and Scripts files I commonly ran into a problem of having the computer ask me about "duplicate" files. When this happened I would check to see which one had a bigger file size and used that one.... However I am guessing this is not the correct way to do it as my game is now slightly buggy... I cant access Pirate guild at all (even with renaming thereshallbewings it does not show up in AI settings); sometimes Kha'ak M1s will launch an attack on core systems... which is cool except that they have no hull and any shield damage causes them to explode, I can't figure out how to access Codea at all, and some times entire wings of ships call point trace(destoryer) pop up with no hull or ships or video representation. I am assuming that the problem was in which T and Script files I kept vs. deleting but i dont know what I am suppose to do.

Edit: Forgot that I also have OSV and Phaton co. installed... but these seem to be working great since Litcube is amazing ;D lol

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 12. Jul 14, 09:30

You've installed all these mods over Litcube's Universe ? That's a very bad idea.

And IMO, you'll never have a decent balanced game with NPC Bail. This is a semi-cheat script, to say the least.

Anyway, you're not supposed to overwrite any files with these scripts. A script in X3 is, most of the time, autonomous.

Spend the week-end playing Litcube's Universe, with no other mods. Try to play it as a total new game, then add scripts after that. But it's likely you will understand that LU does not require any of the mentioned scripts.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”