How to change km and m/s to different imaginary units

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

shadowblayde

How to change km and m/s to different imaginary units

Post by shadowblayde » Tue, 15. Jul 14, 18:08

Hi,

I'd like to change the units displayed on the HUD and the maps to something else. For example: ksu and su instead of km and m and su/s instead of m/s.
(su being space unit)

Is this possible ?

If so, how can I do this ?

Thanks,

SB.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 15. Jul 14, 19:53

load a t-file changing the following entries:

Code: Select all

<page id="300035" title="Menu strings misc" descr="" voice="no">
 <t id="966">km</t>
 <t id="967">m</t>
</page>

<page id="350035" title="Menu strings misc" descr="0" voice="no">
 <t id="998">s(second, used in km/s or m/s)</t>
</page>
note that this will only change the Unit, not the actual Value which is afaik hardcoded
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

shadowblayde

Post by shadowblayde » Tue, 15. Jul 14, 22:19

Excellent.

I wanted to do this because I felt that the ships were too slow flying around at 50 - 300 m/s so, by making it miles and milli-Miles instead of km and m respectively or whatever units I decide, I have essentially increased the speed of the ships because it's all relative.

You say that it is not possible to change the multiplication factor between the two values ? I would have thought that somewhere it would say that they are equivalent to a given number of units.

Thanks.
SB

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Tue, 15. Jul 14, 23:00

shadowblayde wrote:I felt that the ships were too slow flying around at 50 - 300 m/s so, by making it miles and milli-Miles instead of km and m respectively or whatever units I decide, I have essentially increased the speed of the ships because it's all relative.

It gets pretty hot here in Edmonton where I live. Especially during the Summertime. Because I can't afford an air-conditioner, I just went to my thermostat and scraped the temperatures off with a butter knife. I then penciled in new ones that were ten lower than the originals.

I have essentially decreased the temperature of my room.

shadowblayde

Post by shadowblayde » Wed, 16. Jul 14, 11:11

RE: Thermostat:

It's all relative.

If you paint your rooms blue, it will feel cooler than if they are red.

Because there is no absolute scale in the game, I can make it whatever I want. It's not possible to tell, just by looking at something in the game how big it is. You can only tell if it's bigger than something else.

If I make it miles instead of km then I make the speed of all ships x1.6 faster. But, it also makes ships (including astronaut suit and the sectors) x1.6 bigger. I can live with that.

It was just something that annoyed me. Someone told me how to change it. Woot.

I've got rid of those flying particles and engine trails as they don't fit in with the universe as I want it to be. I'm happy :) at least till I find the next thing that bugs me (too many planets close together - tidal effects would rip them apart so using Doubleshadow's X2 galaxy editor to modify each sector).

After all, isn't modding is all about being dissatisfied with what you are given ?

SB.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Wed, 16. Jul 14, 12:57

Yup. I got rid of the particles too. I dont even remember what they look like.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”