[X3:AP] Worth repairing Aran before capture?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] Worth repairing Aran before capture?

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 21. Jul 14, 20:49

After hopping through many UFJD sectors in my Cobra, I've finally found the Aran.
Unfortunately, it's one of those with HP too low to capture.
I want to know, is it practical to try to repair it before capturing? I zapped it with a hundred bursts from my repair laser (I counted) and the boarding team only just made it through the hatch at the end (I think) of deck 3.
What concerns me is if boarding does damage based on percentage while repair is on points. It'll take forever just to raise the hull by a percent!
Should I keep trying to repair or try another UFJD sector?

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 21. Jul 14, 21:21

You need better marines. 100% engineering is neccessary to keep the Hull OK for boarding. Repairing in sector is futile if your crew isn't up to the task.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 21. Jul 14, 22:21

Yeah, the Aran has a huge hull, which means a 1% repair can take 10's of minutes or more real time, which poorly trained marines can demolish in a few seconds.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 21. Jul 14, 22:56

Last time I did it, I kept repairing the hull IS as much as I could.
Then jumped it out and docked somewhere where I could slowly pay for repairs over time.

Current game not got it yet,nor searched. as yet.

Somewhere near the bottom of my to-do list atm

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Tue, 22. Jul 14, 03:06

While my marines may not be at 100% engineering, many are at 4 star. Will that help?
Well, excluding the two marines that weren't 4 star engineers got the remaining marines past deck 4.
The suit repair laser can sustain a 10 second burst. So I only managed 200000 hp of repair with 100 bursts. I estimate it'll take 106.25 minutes, including time to skip in and out of my ship, to raise the hull by 25%. Will that be enough?
Also, out of the 12 marines that are going on the mission, only 1 has 2 star hacking while the rest are 4 star. Should I leave him out to improve the odds too?

Update: I did it! I judged that taking an hour to repair it with 240 blasts was worth trying and it proved to be enough. I got the ship with just 8% hull left!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 22. Jul 14, 10:30

Well done mate.

Now if you want more Arans...

In TC you can search for more and/or reverse engineer and make as many as you wish.

In AP you can only search for the one.
But you can still RE and then make as many as you wish.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Tue, 22. Jul 14, 12:39

I know about that part. I need the Aran for extra "help" on Shady Business, so I'm keeping it in use for now. I can't take 8 days to RE and build a new one yet.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 22. Jul 14, 21:02

Jimmy C wrote:....
The suit repair laser can sustain a 10 second burst. So I only managed 200000 hp of repair with 100 bursts. I estimate it'll take 106.25 minutes, including time to skip in and out of my ship, to raise the hull by 25%. Will that be enough?...
It's completely unnecessary to jump in and out of your ship to recharge the repair laser. There's virtually no difference in repair points for a fully charged and 'uncharged' repair laser. The reason is that the repair laser's recharge rate keeps it running at full power even when it appears discharged. So just hold down the button and keep firing. Just make sure you don't do it for more than two hours or your spacesuit will run out of air.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Wed, 23. Jul 14, 19:11

I'll certainly keep that in mind for future repair jobs.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”