FAA or CFA?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which weapon do you think is better?

Cluster Flak Array
14%
Flak Artillery Array
86%

Total votes: 7

Aidyer
x3tc

FAA or CFA?

Post by Aidyer » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 15:33

I've often wondered which is more practical in combat (both IS and OOS). I think the CFA has a larger spread, but I'm not entirely sure which is better. I'd guess the CFA is better against fighters and the FAA against capitals?

Anyway, cast your vote, I'm intrigued.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 15:41

I can't remember which way around they were to let me vote but IS, I liked the one with less spread for a reduced chance of friendly fire.

For OOS, you probably just want the one with the most DPS. Although since I prefer IS combat and not re-fitting, I'd just use my preferred IS version all the time.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 15:51

FAA. It's more energy efficient and has faster speed of shot than CFA. CFA's only advantage is that it spews out little bomblets when it explodes that can theoretically damage a ship from further away--in practice, however, the chances of those bomblets actually hitting anything are as near zero as makes no difference.

riceygringo
x4

Post by riceygringo » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 16:06

The only use for CFAs is if you equip them with Ion Disruptors for an "ionized flak" ship.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Wed, 13. Aug 14, 18:55

In large fleet battles I prefer to use CFA because:

- It has a slightly larger "Hitbox", I find it more reliable at hitting something
- It fires faster than FAA, better for missile protection
- FAA bullets tend to miss a lot when it lags. (maybe because its bullets are too fast?) I find CFA to be better for slower machines or for fighting in laggy sectors with a large complexes or in fleet battles
- it looks spectacular when it misses (have you ever seen 5 Griffon Sentinels firing at least 8 CFA each at a single fighter?, the first 8 bullets kill the fighter while the rest misses and explodes in a really beautiful globe of fireworks)

CFA fragments do not hit anything IS, hence they don't do any damage. They do however have OOS damage values but I still dont know if they are calculated to the total damage of CFA when OOS.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”