X3AP Savegame Problem - Modified saves.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DerKnuspermann
x3ap

X3AP Savegame Problem - Modified saves.

Post by DerKnuspermann » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 04:46

ok hello and good day first,

somehow i cant post in technical forum; no rights there...
anyhow my problem is:
i reinstalled albion prelude and wanted to play with my old savegames.
but i clicked "open with" at the copied files and now they are 28500 KB big, actually in .xml format. changing format back to .sav or smth else doesnt make them that small as they were before, and i guess should be. the 28500 kb in fact never change. i tried diffrent programs which deal with convert to .sav but noone makes them as small as needed. maybe i didnt find the right one...

can someone help? is this reversible?

i m using windows 7 64bit, albion prelude is on max update atm, but vanilla - no special shit^^... old game did have some official mods from this site.

ty for reading

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 06:03

As for why you can't post on tech support.
Note: You can only post in this forum if you have registered your copy of X³: Terran Conflict or X³: Albion Prelude in your forum profile.
And for your problem, I don't believe it is reversible if your game can't read them now.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 13:13

Moved to X Trilogy Universe for now. 'Open with' does not change the format of the source saved files on their storage medium unless you go back and deliberately overwrite them. Just copy across the original .sav files from wherever you kept them before.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 13:42

Most likely compatibility issue. Changing extension association doesn't chance the content of a file.

1. Make sure you are fully patched and got bonus pack.
2. Check if saves call any mods.(can be complicated)
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

DerKnuspermann
x3ap

Post by DerKnuspermann » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 20:02

ty for the quick answers...

y well i guess i have bad luck then. i was hoping to find a program here, that can change format correctly. anyhow ty and happy gaming

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 15. Aug 14, 20:05

Well two people now have mentioned to you that 'open with' does not change the format or content of the *source* file - so you shouldn't need any conversion program if you still have the original saves.

Be aware that the way you transfer or store files can affect things - such as memory sticks or CD copies setting the read-only flag, or even encrypting or compressing the files which has to be undone by the storage device/application before you can use them.

The more common sources of save issues are where the new game installation is an earlier version than the one saved from (due to lack of fully updating the new install - but unlikely with Steam X3AP), does not have the same Bonus Pack and selections installed, or either the new or old game installation is modded with 3rd party material differently to the other one - just as you mention in the OP and applying to both X3AP and X3TC gamefiles for X3AP usage. (Note: the BP is the *only* 'official' mod/script addition from Egosoft.)

Register your game of TC or AP and post in X3TC/AP Tech Sp and we can try to help you further - BUT if your old saves were modded as you say then that is unlikely to help much.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”