1.3 - Mobile Drilling Turrets on TLs

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

I like using the MDS on the side turret.

I prefer using the MDS from my main gun.
54%
Mining from a TL is ridiculous.
46%

Total votes: 13

dSerk
x2

1.3 - Mobile Drilling Turrets on TLs

Post by dSerk » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 03:40

After patching to 1.3 you won't be able to use your Mobile Drilling System on the same turrets. I've only experienced this on my Hercules, but apparently there have been changes to other TLs. Some thought that since there ship was purchased before the patch that the change would not affect them. This is half true. If you've patched to 1.3 while the Mobile Drilling System is armed on the old turret you'll be able to use it UNTIL YOU SWITCH IT OUT FOR ANOTHER WEAPON. So leave it on that left turret if you like mining from your TL's turrets, or else you'll have to mine from the main gun.... not good. I was a little disappointed, I liked mining from my TL :( but now all but the smallest 'roids are accessible in my TL.

Egosoft, howzabout switching it back? It's logical that the X Universe citizens would have designed their ships to use the MDS on the side turrets :)

Edit, I wonder if we could patch back to 1.2, install the MDS on the side turret, then patch back to 1.3? Hmmm...
dSerk - Shipping Magnate, Combat Ace 2nd Grade ...and running out of targets - "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:02

Not sure. Elephant's front turret uses the mining drill, and there is no main weapon mount. Are you speaking for all TLs or just a couple?
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:07

Well my Elephant couldn't use a mining laser pre-1.3 so I certainly don't want them switching it back to the way it was. :)

Hopefully they'll tweak the ranges on Mining Lasers fired from a TL on the next patch.

dSerk
x2

Post by dSerk » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:21

Bah, I f'ed up the poll. Forget the poll. Phooey. :evil:

I was speaking only from experience with my Hercules, but I thought I'd heard some people saying that similar changes had occurred with the Elephant and others.

A range tweak would be nice on the MDS. Longer range... to be clear :)

Brianetta, is that "front" turret one you switch to just like a left/right turret or do you fire that gun from the cockpit/bridge monitor? Can you aim it or do you have to point your ship at the target?

The front-facing gun mount on the Hercules is not a turret and it is located directly underneath the bridge. The distance from the front of the ship to the main guns is about is just about as long as the firing range of the MDS.
dSerk - Shipping Magnate, Combat Ace 2nd Grade ...and running out of targets - "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:24

How about having a mk2 mining laser only useable in a TL (make it an ST type cargo?) which can exploit the bigger power plant TL's have (compared to TS class ships) to increase the range & allow mining from a TL to be done at a safe distance.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:33

dSerk wrote:Brianetta, is that "front" turret one you switch to just like a left/right turret or do you fire that gun from the cockpit/bridge monitor? Can you aim it or do you have to point your ship at the target?
It's a front turret. A turret turret. Star Wars. Octagonal window, aim-where-you-want, not a fixed mount, turret.

You cannot fire any guns from the main bridge, although that's the only place you can fire missiles from.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Lorelei
x2

Post by Lorelei » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 17:21

I've just this weekend bought a Hercules, and decided to go mining in it (running 1.3 btw). It's not easy. Particularly when the asteroid is spinning. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The range on the mining laser could definately do with upping just a tad! I got annoyed with it, then went and hunted pirates for their hornet missiles. Much better! :lol:

Kitch
x3tc

Post by Kitch » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 17:31

Sack mining directly from a TL - I just use a kitted Vulture to do the actual rock blasting - easier to fly and leaves my TL and Dolphins free to go collecting... or if you must use a TL, nuke it with a hornet... a 1500m range gun on a 2km long ship? Not a good idea...

It's not something I think needs fixing - a TL is a transporter, not a mining ship.

dSerk
x2

Post by dSerk » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 19:09

Kitch wrote:Sack mining directly from a TL - I just use a kitted Vulture to do the actual rock blasting - easier to fly and leaves my TL and Dolphins free to go collecting... or if you must use a TL, nuke it with a hornet... a 1500m range gun on a 2km long ship? Not a good idea...

It's not something I think needs fixing - a TL is a transporter, not a mining ship.
I don't think TLs can "Collect Wares." I have the Special Command Software installed but I don't have that option. I liked mining from the TL so my TSs could do the collecting.

Using Hornets isn't too wasteful, it shouldn't even cut into my profits if I stick to high-yield 'roids and keep collecting Hornet missiles where I find 'em. I'll give it a shot. no pun int.
GCU Grey Area wrote:How about having a mk2 mining laser only useable in a TL (make it an ST type cargo?) which can exploit the bigger power plant TL's have (compared to TS class ships) to increase the range & allow mining from a TL to be done at a safe distance.
I like this idea. A heavy-MDS would prob be easy to patch-in, too.
Brianetta wrote:It's a front turret. A turret turret. Star Wars. Octagonal window, aim-where-you-want, not a fixed mount, turret.
So.... it's a turret. Where is it? Right up on the tip/nose (er, trunk?) of the Elephant, or is it located under the bridge? I'm having a hard time picturing the Elephant right now... don't wanna dig for a screenie :)

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 19:24

Elephant front turret is on the tip of it's nose, which seems 1km away from it's cockpit. It's pretty ideal placement as far as TLs and mobile mining lasers are concerned, but that gun still needs better range.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 20:25

The Albatross can mount a mining laser in the main fixed mount and it's in a pretty good position.

http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/ship.php?ship=64

Mining laser is right in the middle of the big 'bar'.

I usually use a Paranid Demeter based in my albatross to do my mining though.

I am thinking on investing in a hornet missile factory and a Hydra to fire them though (I do have other Hornet capable ships but this may be a good use for a hydra.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”