X3AP Best OOS Defense Ship?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

riceygringo
x4

X3AP Best OOS Defense Ship?

Post by riceygringo » Sat, 20. Sep 14, 05:08

With the new OOS combat formula and the new M2+ class of ships, I'm wondering if the premier choice for sector defense is still Terran M2s loaded with PSPs and SSCs?

In TC I had a single Osaka in Megnir (TUS) and it kept the sector free of Qs and even the occasional J for over 150 hours without ever needing repairs. Would I achieve the same results in X3AP?

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 20. Sep 14, 18:03

If you mean Tyr then yes it's still the king. Kind of hard to beat terrans and their supershields not to mention Tyr has more guns then anything else short of Valhalla and PSP is monster OOS.

Well actually I suppose Valhalla would be the OOS king. But considering how long they take to make in PHQ and how freakishly random their spawn chances are and only as long as war is still going on and only in war sectors... Too much hassle unless you get lucky or hell bent on using Valhallas.

But seriously a Boreas would do just fine in most cases unless you start a war with everyone and decide to build plex in your enemy's core sector. And most m2+ are extra buff anyway. Granted Pteranodon is more of a player capital ship then OOS defense ship.

Anyway in most cases m2 x 3 with defend position at gate will guarantee nobody gets in and they will never take hull damage. Only in cases of extreme warfare do you need to bring serious firepower like Tyr/Valhalla and that's when you blockade core sectors or xenon core sectors.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 20. Sep 14, 18:13

Just about any large ship with a hold full of drones will do.

"Emergency Signal at (SECTOR NAME)"

"Let's see... ah, M7s"

(order ship to drop 24 drones and order all drones to attack all enemies.)

I had an Akuma and 2 Agamemnons in Zyarth's Dominion overlooking the south gate for the heck of it. Every time a Q showed up, I just killed it with a drone swarm! Never had to use the M2 at all!

riceygringo
x4

Post by riceygringo » Sat, 20. Sep 14, 18:44

hisazul wrote:If you mean Tyr then yes it's still the king. Kind of hard to beat terrans and their supershields not to mention Tyr has more guns then anything else short of Valhalla and PSP is monster OOS.

Well actually I suppose Valhalla would be the OOS king. But considering how long they take to make in PHQ and how freakishly random their spawn chances are and only as long as war is still going on and only in war sectors... Too much hassle unless you get lucky or hell bent on using Valhallas.

But seriously a Boreas would do just fine in most cases unless you start a war with everyone and decide to build plex in your enemy's core sector. And most m2+ are extra buff anyway. Granted Pteranodon is more of a player capital ship then OOS defense ship.

Anyway in most cases m2 x 3 with defend position at gate will guarantee nobody gets in and they will never take hull damage. Only in cases of extreme warfare do you need to bring serious firepower like Tyr/Valhalla and that's when you blockade core sectors or xenon core sectors.
Well getting a fleet of Valhallas is far too much work, so I'm going to stick with buyable ships. Although in terms of pure shielding and firepower, wouldn't the Megalodon be the best? 10m/s slower but with more guns.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 21. Sep 14, 03:55

riceygringo wrote: Well getting a fleet of Valhallas is far too much work, so I'm going to stick with buyable ships. Although in terms of pure shielding and firepower, wouldn't the Megalodon be the best? 10m/s slower but with more guns.
If I misunderstood who you compared Mega to I apologize in advance, I honestly couldn't figure out -_-

Valhalla got a total of 66 guns while Mega got 52, yes far above all other CW ships with the usual 48 guns but cmon that's not even close... also Val got 2 million more hull and 7x2 GJ shields(Kyoto and Valhalla are only 2 ships that are present in AP that have so much) vs Megas 6x2 GJ. I'm not seeing how you figure Mega is better in pure firepower and shielding. If you only count PSPs on Valhalla it's 32 PSP vs 36 Megas PPC... but seriously any small gain from that is nullified OOS by the damage difference of PSP, in AP you actually need to break serious hulls "I" sports 7mil hull... shields damage is all great... but you actually need to break hull this isn't TC where once shields fell things fell apart.
If you meant Tyr... then it still wins with damage wise OOS even vs. Mega granted its a close one and Mega hands down better IS when piloted by AI(PSP shot by AI isn't very good against anything that moves faster then M2). Shields again... even if Tyr isn't m2+ it comes with 6 2GJ shields same as Osaka and Woden with outside of terran ships only I and Mega have that much and Aran(not really relevant). Tho large ships and AI... ughhh... I'd rather AI piloted small things that don't make AI go crazy due to supersized collion boxes and AI being stuck in "avoiding collision" for the next decade. Hence why people like Boreas and that's where the new Ptera also shines.

Anyway... I'll stick to rule that has been here since TC. OOS its Tyr's domain or heck any terran ship really, because OOS PSP is just beastly and all terran ships are far more durable then anything else. IS it's all preferences and situation. For capping massive numbers of RRF fleets I love taking my Mega out for a spin, fully loaded with IPG and IC but seriously those guns are not good for anything other then massive boarding spree where you lead while Mega slows everyone to a crawl. Pteranodon shines when you fly it yourself frying Q's from 8km away before they even get into firing range melting everything left and right... but as soon as its OOS.... lol... fail. IS player piloted Kyoto is so agile its weird... it has better pitch/yaw then damn achinonix and its the most durable shield right after Valhalla... O_O but it sure as hell not winning any point with that OOS.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

riceygringo
x4

Post by riceygringo » Mon, 22. Sep 14, 03:18

Sorry, I was talking about Tyr vs Megalodon. So after I ran a couple of tests with Tyr (PSP & SSC loadout) and a Megalodon (PPC & Ionized Flak loadout) the differences between their OOS performance is neglegible.

For IS combat I'm going to stick with a mix of Boreas (PPC & IBL loadout) and a couple of Pteranodons.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Tue, 23. Sep 14, 19:56

riceygringo wrote:Sorry, I was talking about Tyr vs Megalodon. So after I ran a couple of tests with Tyr (PSP & SSC loadout) and a Megalodon (PPC & Ionized Flak loadout) the differences between their OOS performance is neglegible.

For IS combat I'm going to stick with a mix of Boreas (PPC & IBL loadout) and a couple of Pteranodons.
I wouldn't use Pteras for OOS. PALC isn't OOS weapon really. Bors are totally fine though, and more easily accessible solution in most cases not to mention they outperform other CW m2. Mixing IBL and PPC is also a good idea lets you beef up hull damage and balance it all out.

But... there is never a negligible difference when it comes to fighting(especially OOS since it's turn based and there is no random involved) :P Any advantage is still advantage. Also extra durability always helps in case someone gets ganked up, I hate repairing ships personally that's why I go extra mile and put ships in tripples. Anyway Megas are awesome IS just like Ptera is orgasmic when you pilot it yourself.

Psirus
xr

Post by Psirus » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 03:50

Funny, I was just deciding on OOS D ships myself. I reached the conclusion of the TYR, and am currently outfitting 2 of them in the Moon. Well, there goes 500m lol
Plays on the Monolith from 2001
X3 Mogul, EXTREME
TC Mogul, Legend
AP Master Industrialist, Battlemaster
XR WTF, WTF

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 18:29

Personally I' go for a Q. They're mediocre as far as m7s go but cheaper than other m7s and but much cheaper than anything bigger. The ability to kill anything OOS is a nice bonus. They're less costly to replace than m2s if you get screwed by the oos rng, and usually cheaper to equip.
Either that, or keep a TS with about 60 fighting drones in every sector if you don't mind the supply and combat micromanagement.
Warning: Ingesting Incrediblypainfultothepointofclawingonesowneyesoutscreamingbloodymurderium may cause nausea, dizziness, hair loss, skin irritation, eye irritation, tongue swelling, rashes, impotency, sore throat, hypothermia, fever, coughing, sneezing, projectile vomiting, internal hemorrhaging, external hemorrhaging, projectile diarrhea, paranoia, mild insanity, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, schizophrenia, blackouts, seizures, strokes, death and possibly mild pain.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 18:50

Nehlis wrote:Personally I' go for a Q. They're mediocre as far as m7s go but cheaper than other m7s and but much cheaper than anything bigger.
Unless you have captured many many Qs, there's no point to say which is cheaper because you cannot buy any. It takes many hours to produce an Q. While you are waiting, you can earn enough credits to buy many other capital ships.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 19:24

Lone Jedi wrote:
Nehlis wrote:Personally I' go for a Q. They're mediocre as far as m7s go but cheaper than other m7s and but much cheaper than anything bigger.
Unless you have captured many many Qs, there's no point to say which is cheaper because you cannot buy any. It takes many hours to produce an Q. While you are waiting, you can earn enough credits to buy many other capital ships.
Yeah I tend to play in extremely time inefficient manners. I built a supermassive complex in Mines of Fortune just to have a closed loop that will produce whatever I want ... over the course of 2 hours sitting with SETA on.
Still Xenon ships hold a special place for me, and they're a nice FU to all the other races when its time to go on an omnicidal rampage. Especially to terrans.
Warning: Ingesting Incrediblypainfultothepointofclawingonesowneyesoutscreamingbloodymurderium may cause nausea, dizziness, hair loss, skin irritation, eye irritation, tongue swelling, rashes, impotency, sore throat, hypothermia, fever, coughing, sneezing, projectile vomiting, internal hemorrhaging, external hemorrhaging, projectile diarrhea, paranoia, mild insanity, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, schizophrenia, blackouts, seizures, strokes, death and possibly mild pain.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 19:34

Nehlis wrote:
Lone Jedi wrote:
Yeah I tend to play in extremely time inefficient manners. I built a supermassive complex in Mines of Fortune just to have a closed loop that will produce whatever I want ... over the course of 2 hours sitting with SETA on.
Still Xenon ships hold a special place for me, and they're a nice FU to all the other races when its time to go on an omnicidal rampage. Especially to terrans.
Well, the OP asks for THE BEST OOS SHIP, not the one you love the most. I ensure your Q will die or be damaged pretty fast OOS. I can list at least 20 better OOS ships.
I live in my Vidar.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 21:32

Not entirely true LJ. You can get away with using good M7 in OOS defense.

Same principle really, you plot a satellite and give multiple ships defend position on. Since AI don't waltz in with 10 caps at a time... 3+ Qs should be able to break most non-terran ship before your own ships shields go down. Boron may be problematic depending on loadout. Terrans will be too.

But you can always simply increase the number of ships. As long as any single M7 doesn't lose all the shields in a single round you can just plant more of them.

At the end of a day it's all about what you like not what's better. I happened to like all races except maybe Argon, due to their lame generic design... from looks to functionality. But I lean heavily towards Terrans.

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 23:14

Lone Jedi wrote:
Nehlis wrote:
Lone Jedi wrote:
Well, the OP asks for THE BEST OOS SHIP, not the one you love the most. I ensure your Q will die or be damaged pretty fast OOS. I can list at least 20 better OOS ships.
Ouch, that's harsh.
I only pushed it forward since, while m2s have more potent OOS combat rolls, they tend to be overkill against anything weaker than M7s, and will likely be damaged against other m2s, and possibly destroyed against larger forces. They're among the most expensive units in the game and economically more feasible as a response unit than static defense in most cases.
M7s outmatch anything smaller than themselves oos, in sets of around 2-3 can usually kill M2s, and discounting time costs the Q is the cheapest and most cost effective.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Wed, 5. Nov 14, 23:23

hisazul wrote:Not entirely true LJ. You can get away with using good M7 in OOS defense.

Same principle really, you plot a satellite and give multiple ships defend position on. Since AI don't waltz in with 10 caps at a time... 3+ Qs should be able to break most non-terran ship before your own ships shields go down. Boron may be problematic depending on loadout. Terrans will be too.

But you can always simply increase the number of ships. As long as any single M7 doesn't lose all the shields in a single round you can just plant more of them.

At the end of a day it's all about what you like not what's better. I happened to like all races except maybe Argon, due to their lame generic design... from looks to functionality. But I lean heavily towards Terrans.
"You can get away with using good M7" doesn't mean any M7 is the best for OOS defense. This thread is exactly about the best ship for OOS defense.

"it's all about what you like not what's better". That's your personal point of view and it adds zero value to the discussion in this thread. If it's all about what you like, you may make some very stupid decisions, such as using M4s with IREs for OOS defense (well, that may just be what you like). If it's all about what you like, there is no need to discuss at all.
I live in my Vidar.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 01:38

Lone Jedi wrote:
hisazul wrote:Not entirely true LJ. You can get away with using good M7 in OOS defense.

"You can get away with using good M7" doesn't mean any M7 is the best for OOS defense. This thread is exactly about the best ship for OOS defense.

"it's all about what you like not what's better". That's your personal point of view and it adds zero value to the discussion in this thread. If it's all about what you like, you may make some very stupid decisions, such as using M4s with IREs for OOS defense (well, that may just be what you like). If it's all about what you like, there is no need to discuss at all.
Then you didn't read the topic fully and you did not read my previous comments.

Zero value is when someone throws around nonsense and calls everything outside his safety zone "stupid decisions".

If person has next to no credits and no factories but boards a lot. Guess what? Qs are BEST OOS defense.

Thanks for taking your time to nitpick 1 post out of entire topic. And not saying anything relevant after all that.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”