X3AP-- Your "Go To" M3s Of Choice?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Monkeyfister
x3ap

X3AP-- Your "Go To" M3s Of Choice?

Post by Monkeyfister » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 21:13

M3s are the Fighter Class of the X3 Universe. They each have their uses, advantages, and faults. Lets discuss the best, the worst, and unique, new ways to use this class of ship.

I have been playing the same X3AP Argon Peacekeeper game for 14 months now. Before that, I played the same X3TC Humble Merchant game for about the same length of time.

Tried the Terran Starts-- just cannot get myself to like anything about Terrans, save for their 1960s-70s retro style of design.

At any rate, I have what I think is pretty solid experience with M3s, and find myself using Aamon Prototypes and Falcon Haulers almost exclusively, anymore.

All tolled, for fighting power/speed and shielding, the Aamon really beats out, IMHO, every other M3 in the Commonwealth. Filled with 8x HEPT, a PAC in each turret, it's a darned powerful little ship.

The other M3 hat I find extraordinarily useful is the Falcon Hauler. The other Falcon varients seem to be rubbish, but the Hauler does it all. It is not the Dogfighter that I would turn to first, but, loaded up with Tempest or Thunderbolt Missiles (100% missile fire probability), the Falcon Hauler becomes a very dangerous M3. Launch them from far away, have them empty their holds, and then dock, they can effectively re-balance the field of battle before the enemy even knows you're there.

As the Hauler can take XL cargo, I also use it heavily as a CLS/CAG ship for moving stuff like Shields/Guns/Missiles/Crystals and such. Those things too big for a Buster (M4) to handle efficiently, but produced in small batches making a TP/TM/TS impractical. I use Falcon Haulers to run everything from my PHQ Main Production Facility to the PHQ. The steady, small loads keep everything humming along, no shortages. Would LOVE to see the Falcon Hauler included as a CODEA Tender option!

I'd like to hear more about the practical values of the Eclipse.

Would also like some convincing as to why I should stop hating on the Terrans.

I have had a few Spitfyres in my TC game. Took me months of play time to get five of them fully kitted, but flew one as a Personal Ship, and was impressed by it. The hassle of kitting them out was not worth it to me. YMMV!

Runner-Up for me, is the Blastclaw Prototype fronted with 4xPBGs in the Mains and 2xPRG or Mass Drivers in Front Turret (or vise-vis!), you can point it at the target, and know it'll do its job and return to the hangar in one piece.

So, which M3s do YOU turn to more often than others, and to what purposes do you put them to use?

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 21:17

Cutlass! Without doubt the best M3 in the game.
Able to shoot down ANYTHING. I really mean ANYTHING if you have the patience to spend half hour shooting a Xenon K, but you get the job done.

Also the Scimitar is second in my list. A great balance between speed and firepower.
Used it as my playership when I was trying the pirate life in X3AP.

I had lot of fun with Xenon L too, but it is rather avarage in terms of performance. Still fun and interesting to play.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 21:24

Spent the most time in a fighter in the Nova Prototype, Argon Peacekeeper start.
By the time I got around to building Aamons, I had switched to the Hyperion, and mostly just kept one Aamon docked on it but rarely used.

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 21:51

Jimmy C wrote:Spent the most time in a fighter in the Nova Prototype, Argon Peacekeeper start.
By the time I got around to building Aamons, I had switched to the Hyperion, and mostly just kept one Aamon docked on it but rarely used.
I REd and produced 5 Nova Prototypes so far. One is back on my Hyperion (along with a Fujin (M5)), as I grew quite fond of it early in this game, when my only other decent ship was the brick-slow Centaur. I think the AI handles it very well. By my standards, I really SHOULD switch to an Aamon... but I grew fond of the ProtoNova. :roll:

It's a darn good M3, but, I think, lacking that front turret, is a bit inferior to the Aamon. It's great to have as a helping hand when the Hyperion gets a bit mobbed at a War Sector Gate. I often hop in it to do some fighting with the Hype at my back, too! Keeps me humble, and the game fresh!
Last edited by Monkeyfister on Sun, 5. Oct 14, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 22:03

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Cutlass! Without doubt the best M3 in the game.
Able to shoot down ANYTHING. I really mean ANYTHING if you have the patience to spend half hour shooting a Xenon K, but you get the job done.

Also the Scimitar is second in my list. A great balance between speed and firepower.
Used it as my playership when I was trying the pirate life in X3AP.

I had lot of fun with Xenon L too, but it is rather avarage in terms of performance. Still fun and interesting to play.
The L is a fun little M3. I've been thinking of alternative uses for it, or niche Defense roles.

How long did it take to fully kit out the Scimitar and the Cutlass-- including Jumpdrive, in AP Early Game? I think that is a part of my Terran hate. You pay fat bank for a Terran M3, and have to fly it utterly handicapped for a looooong time, or set it on the shelf acquiring equipment until it can hold its own in battle. Same thing if you got it as a bail.

Is there anything special about them that makes them shine above the hassle of equipping them?

I've read your exploits of dogfighting Qs and Ks with M3s. Is it the challenge of the sorta weak guns, coupled with that reknowned Terran speed and manoeverability that does it? I think you're crazy-brave for taking on such large targets in am M3, but I think that your capability and skill is salutable! I just have a mouse and keyboard, so, I am pretty sure I am hadicapping myself in combat for lack of a joystick.

I guess I need to open the levels of discussion!

We can address "If I have a Joystick, I prefer..." and if I have Keyboard/Mouse, I prefer..."

I don't think I am a very good fighter, even though my Skill Level is Vindicator. My efficiency is 41%, while my Missile efficiency is 56%, so I think we know my way of making up for no stick!

I suspect that colors my choice of, and approach to my three favs.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 22:32

It took me a single "assassin" combat mission, which I accepted from a Terran who was offering that mission on-board of a pirate station [located in those unknown sectors, in Terran territory].

But when I started the Terran Commander gamestart to get the achievement for its plot, I sold the Katana as soon as the plot started, and bought a Scimitar, as I just wanted to rush through the plot with a fast/powerful ship. Scimitar offered the perfect balance! Completed the plot within two days of real time [including sleeping and eating]

BTW Iam using "[" instead of "(" because my keyboard is kinda screwed right now.

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 23:14

Yeah, man, that Katana is painful to get around in during the Terran Commander start... and forget about trying to fly through the War Sectors to get what you need for extensions and JD.

I should have taken your lead, and sold down to M3. It didn't help me love Terran ships or Terran space much. Tried for two weeks, and just got frustrated. Dorked around with some of the new, odd starts, before starting this 14-month Peacekeeper game. It'll be Christmas before I have another opportunity to improve my rep with the Terrans/ATF enough to buy ships (a bit of shady business with some Split woman named Ho t'Sht has me very busy dealing with Security upgrades prior to her next scheme, but I'll definitely consider fast Terran M3s for Trade ships when I get there.

-
Now that my Empire is pretty widespread, and I am building out Carrier Groups, where every ship has its purpose, and where the M3 needs of my Hyperion, or Panther, may well be different from my Aran, or another M1, I am considering best fits.

Also, I think nearly every ship has some value on the Trade side of things. I use bailed Perseus', Pericles', and Keas as CLS, or "Sell At Best Price" sellers, for certain small wares. Some fit better than others. So, I hope this broadens the discussion.
Last edited by Monkeyfister on Sun, 5. Oct 14, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Baratheon79
x3tc

Post by Baratheon79 » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 23:27

This might sound strange to some, but it seems my "go to" M3 is usually the Tenjin. It has rather weak shields compared to many of the other heavy options, but I've been using them as both personal and carrier-based fighters for some time, with little to no problems. The only time they seem to run into trouble is against Xenon, and since I run CODEA on all my ships with hangars, all I have to do is keep the carrier ship close enough for the fighter to be able to use its docking computer if necessary. For the most part, though, nothing survives long enough to hurt them.

I also like Nova Raiders (Argon, not pirate) for much the same role. They're cheaper and have the same shielding, and trade in some of the Tenjin's greater firepower, for somewhat better speed.

I would like to use Aamon Prototypes more, but that'll have to wait until I've got the PHQ in my current game and can start building them. For now, I've go the two I currently have stashed someplace safe.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 23:33

Tenjin is great. The arrrow-like shape makes it easy to avoid shots.
Weaponry is avarage. It can mount Plasma generators, and grill those pesky enemies at any time of day :)

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 23:42

Ya know-- I've never really looked at the Tenjin. Never managed to get a bail to survive. Cute l'il bugger, like the Fujin, and one of the tougher M3 opponents when I fly the Nova Prototype or the Aamon.

9 Mains, + Left and Right Turrets. Odd set-up, but 11 guns speaks for itself.

Quick, and as well-shielded as any buyable M3 on average. Decent M-size Cargo bay at 285.

I think I need to acquire one, for sure! I am friendly with the Yaki, now, so I'll probably buy it.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 00:37

As long as you didn't thoroughly trash your Yaki rep, you can buy it. Even if you did trash it, a couple missions from them and you can be back in good graces with them. It's not too hard to find a Yaki flying around CW space with a combat mission available.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 01:47

It depends on what you want to do with your M3. If you want dogfighting (vs fighters and M6s), any M3 will do. If you want to solo bigger ships effectively, IMO there are only 3 options: Spitfyre (with 6 PMAMLs), Medusa Prototype (for missiles spamming) and Enhanced Kea (EBCGs + missiles).
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

riceygringo
x4

Post by riceygringo » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 06:00

I like the Falcon Sentinels as wingman in my Hyperion-too slow to crash into anything, and well shielded that a pair of them can take out several corvettes while I focus on the bigger stuff.

As a personal ship, I prefer the OTAS Venti, the 10 PBGs are unmatched. Great speed as well.

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 06:39

For me my m3s of choice are the Split Mamba, Yaki Tenjin, the Spitfire and the Fenrir

The Mamba and Tenjin just win out in terms of looks for me plus they can use PBGs anf have decent shielding and speed and great weapon recharge rates.

The spitfire just has that glass cannon feel but i mostly use it for the speed and then there is the Fenrir with 2 turrets massivve shiedling, excellent recharge rate great speed (180ms+) and good cargo space too

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Mon, 6. Oct 14, 19:20

I usually settle for the Venti

2x PBG and 8x EBC can wreak havoc on any opponent.. its cagrobay is small so I would usually take a TM such as Chokaro as a base ship early in the game

but when the credits starts rolling and I could build a huge empire and many M1s, my choice fighter is the Fenrir.. they are the king of carrier combat.. These guys just survive almost any situations.. The only time Ill lose many Fenrirs in one battle is when some scumbag RRF M7 fires a Firestorm/Hammerhead at me and my MDM did a good job at shooting it down ~~~~ near my fighters.....

if I dont feel like buying Terran ships I resort to Notus Haulers

masterofthedeathwing

Mamba raider

Post by masterofthedeathwing » Mon, 13. Oct 14, 19:49

I tried the mamba raider once, such an unforgivable ship, BUT other M3's feel useless to me now. The mamba raider is so fast that you can pick your fights and dominate almost any fight and equipped with 7 PBE's (1 in the turret) and 2 HEPTs the thing is a killing machine, Id also like to point out that the PBE in the turret set to missile only is rediculously good, it can even shoot down every missile from a swarm before they hit you, AND your speed is so good, you outrun anything else. I used the Mamba raider until i could afford a Split M2+ which now has a hangar bay containing 16 Mamba raiders all with 9 PBE's you have to be a little picky about when to deploy the wing, but when there are only fighters left on the map, 16 mamba raiders can clean out a sector in minutes. but again, a very unforgiving ship.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Tue, 14. Oct 14, 00:05

OTAS Solano - 4 PAC
One of the best M3s is actually an M4. The Solano is the ultimate in bang for buck, a great choice for first fighter, or for buying by the dozen to fill hangar bays. Its only real flaw is lack of a rear turret and a small cargo hold. PACs continue the trend of cost effectiveness, but 4 PRG or 6 Mass Drivers are also solid if expensive choices.

Aldrin Spitfyre - 8 EEMPC
It's an M3 that goes at M5 speed. What else need be said? IMO PMAMLs aren't worth the cargo space. Keep Poltergeists handy because M5s are kinda annoying to try and hit with EEMPC. Very useful to have one on any personal carrier, for when you need to do some scouting or asteroid scanning or whatever.

Paranid Advanced Perseus - 4 PAC 4 EBC
209m/s speed, 100MJ shields, rear turret, this ship is a fantastic combination of speed, firepower and durability. Really, the only complaints I could conjure for it is that it lacks PBG compatibility and is a bit tight on cargo space. This loadout is a good compromise between firepower, longevity and cargo space usage.

OTAS Venti - 10 EBC
Overwhelming firepower. The Venti has good speed and shielding and a rear turret, but the reason you fly one is for its 10 forward guns. EBCs make the most of this, allowing you to sustain that incredible firepower without regard to energy usage. Alternatively you could use 10 PBGs, to utterly annihilate anything unfortunate enough to be in front of you (including allies and innocent bystanders).

Argon Nova Raider - 2 PRG 4 HEPT 2 PBG
The good old Nova Raider, striking a good balance of speed, defense and firepower at a fantastic price. PRGs easily take out M5s and M4s in situations where using PBGs is inadvisable. HEPTs take down M3s and M6s. When there's no friendlies about, PBGs chew through fighters, or add more punch to the HEPTs against larger targets. PBGs are also useful as target leaders for the very powerful Tornado dumbfire swarm missile, which you have room to carry with no ammo based guns.

ATF Fenrir - 2 EMPC
WTF only 2 guns? Yes, because the Fenrir has another 2 guns on front turret, and because the Fenrir's main appeal isn't in the guns anyway. What makes the Fenrir special is Spectre Missiles, the Terran equivalent of Hornet Missiles that can be fired from M3s where the Hornets are M6 class. A carrier with a wing of Fenrirs loaded with Spectre missiles can ruin the day of pretty much anything.

Yaki Tenjin - 2 PAC 4 EBC 3 PBG
The Tenjin's turrets provide full coverage against missiles, and are capable of facing forward for a potential 11 guns forward, even more than the Venti. You could go for a full EBC loadout, but I like the versatility of this loadout with PACs to kill small targets and conserve ammo, EBC for sustained fire, and all guns blazing to destroy larger targets.

Argon Aamon Prototype - 6 EMPC 2 PBG
Combines the strengths of Commonwealth and Terran fighters. PBG and PRG front turret to kill small fast targets. Energy efficient EMPC for sustained fire. All guns blazing for bigger targets. Spectres and Tornadoes.

Pirate Blastclaw Prototype - 4 PBG
A bit sluggish, but decently shielded and with a huuuuge cargo bay, this makes for a great personal bomber with Tornadoes for big stuff and Tempests for fighters. Double PRG front turret swats pesky M5s. Quad PBG burns down anything that gets close, and acts as a target leader for Tornado Missiles on larger targets.

Teladi Falcon Hauler
Very slow, but the Falcon Hauler has two great things going for it: massive 200MJ shielding and a big cargo bay that can hold XL items. This makes for a very useful and versatile ship. They can be used as sturdy carrier based fighter/bombers with 8 EBCs, Wasps and Tempest missiles. They can be used as OoS fighters with 8 HEPTs and their hefty shields. They can be used without any guns as carrier based combat salvage and supply ships. They can be used for risky Nividium mobile mining operations in UFJD sectors. They're so darn useful I have at least one of them on every ship with a hangar bay.

Nehlis

Post by Nehlis » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 03:40

Personally I roll with the Mamba Vanguard. 2 PBEs and 6 PBGs. It's got enough power, speed and maneuverability to take on capital ships if you can find the blindspot.
The lack of shields (only 50mj) is definitely noticeable though, and you do get stiffed for cargo space, meaning you lose out on missile capacity.
Which is why sometimes I switch to a blastclaw prototype and load it to the brim with tornadoes, wasps and thunderbolts. It essentially becomes a poor-man's bomber.
Warning: Ingesting Incrediblypainfultothepointofclawingonesowneyesoutscreamingbloodymurderium may cause nausea, dizziness, hair loss, skin irritation, eye irritation, tongue swelling, rashes, impotency, sore throat, hypothermia, fever, coughing, sneezing, projectile vomiting, internal hemorrhaging, external hemorrhaging, projectile diarrhea, paranoia, mild insanity, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, schizophrenia, blackouts, seizures, strokes, death and possibly mild pain.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 06:56

OniGanon wrote:Keep Poltergeists handy because M5s are kinda annoying to try and hit with EEMPC.
You expect Poltergeists to hit any M5?
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”