M1 Argon Colossus

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ricktehdead

M1 Argon Colossus

Post by ricktehdead » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 11:07

Hello,

I have recently bought an Argon Colossus.

I understand it has laser mounts and bays. But how do I control them? Does a crew control these?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 11:19

lasers are controlled by AI as per your settings in the menu.

But if turrets are fitted to ships, you can jump into the turrets and fire at will.
The draw back being that you are no longer in control of the ship until you get out of the turret.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 13:18

TTD wrote:lasers are controlled by AI as per your settings in the menu.

But if turrets are fitted to ships, you can jump into the turrets and fire at will.
The draw back being that you are no longer in control of the ship until you get out of the turret.
to OP ^ Re; manual gunnery, also worth noting that you can set your player ship on 'attack all enemies' or 'attack .*.' in the combat console, while acting as a gunner in any turret the ship has. Also if you have a joystick (which acts as a gunnery control while in a turret) it is still possible to control the speed of the ship with the throttle control (if the joystick has one). cycle through turrets through the f1 key.

Generally its a good idea not to mix the weapon types in each turret, ie have 4 CIGs as a single group in one turret, and 4 HEPT's as another group in another turret rather than mixing them (example only, not meant as suggestion for a loadout).
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 14:16

All not currently controlled by player turrets are fired according to turret settings. Main guns only fired if ship is on autopilot combat.

Use hotkey to change view and switch between turrets. It's not limited to capital ships, any ship with turrets allows you to shoot them manually as long as it actually has turrets.

Some ships and turret settings allow to use turrets as extra main guns if they are set to attack my target.

Pteranodon has broadside turrets that are all on the nose and can shoot forward... so left and right turrets can be used in tandem with main guns. Hyperions front turrets can be used in the same manner. And so on.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

ricktehdead

Post by ricktehdead » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 17:36

ThommoHawk wrote:
TTD wrote:lasers are controlled by AI as per your settings in the menu.

to OP ^ Re; manual gunnery, also worth noting that you can set your player ship on 'attack all enemies' or 'attack .*.' in the combat console, while acting as a gunner in any turret the ship has. Also if you have a joystick (which acts as a gunnery control while in a turret) it is still possible to control the speed of the ship with the throttle control (if the joystick has one). cycle through turrets through the f1 key.

Generally its a good idea not to mix the weapon types in each turret, ie have 4 CIGs as a single group in one turret, and 4 HEPT's as another group in another turret rather than mixing them (example only, not meant as suggestion for a loadout).
Ahh I see.. Yeah, because I was a bit confused lol. I never saw my Argon attempt to fight when I sent it to engage, so I was like hmmm.. Maybe he's missing the fight software?

Okay. I understand now. So M1 ships lasers are controlled by AI unless turrets are mounted?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 23:43

ricktehdead wrote:So M1 ships lasers are controlled by AI unless turrets are mounted?
No, you've misunderstood somewhere. An M1 always has turrets (although it's possible for you not to put any guns in them if you're feeling particularly suicidal). The turrets which you are not currently sitting in--which will be all of them if you're flying the ship itself, or 5 of them if you're in a turret--will be operated according to the commands you've given them in the Command Console under "turret commands". These commands can be things like Attack Enemies, Protect Ship (which basically works like Attack Enemies but only returns fire against ships which have landed shots on you), or Missile Defence (prioritises incoming missiles).

If you've sent an M1 or M2 into the fight and it isn't shooting, then there are three possible reasons for that:

a) No turret orders. The ship command "Attack enemies" doesn't change whatever the turret orders are, so if your turrets have no orders your ship will be doing attack runs but not shooting.

b) No guns in the turret. You have to mount guns in the turrets same as you do the main guns in a fighter.

c) Group with no guns selected in turret. This one is unlikely, but possible--basically, you'd have to have manually jumped into a turret, selected a gun group with no guns in it, and then jumped out of the turret again; it will remember your group setting and keep using it until you manually change it again.

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 11:00

main guns fire in the direction your ship is facing.
a turret can aim on it's own and most of the time consists of multiple guns.
all these guns turn with the turret.
like somebody already mentioned; if you mix weapons in a turret, the tracking of the slowest weapon counts.

in the command console of a ship turret commands can be set.
a popular setting is missile defense, where your turrets take down incoming missiles.
when nomissiles are in range the turret will fire at attacking ships.

every gun has a mimimum range before firing commences.
what kind of guns have you fitted on your M1?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 22:20

Which game? (That changes the options.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”