[X3:AP] What does it take to lock down a Xenon sector?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] What does it take to lock down a Xenon sector?

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 02:30

Throughout this game, I've "acquired" many ships. I've decided I should do more with them than let them float around my complexes.
It looks like some people have done it before, so what kind of fleet composition can secure the routes between the gates in Xenon sectors 347 and 472?
I've got M7s, M2s and even a few M1s from practically everyone, what combination of ships can do the job?

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 04:57

Xenon 347 is a joke.. I could hardly see any xenon capitals come out of those gate that will not be deleted instantly by Teladi RRF.. but there are still small PX patrols that could slip through and wreck havoc in the Scale Plate Green and Eighteen Billion. I suggest you put some fast M7 patrols in both sectors, maybe add some lasertowers too

Xenon 472 is a dangerous sector.. Argon RRF are too busy with the war to send troops in Black Hole Sun (me :wink: ) and Split RRF are even busier defending Zyarths Dominion and neglects Thyn's Abyss all the time.

you might need to delegate a dedicated defense force consisting of multiple M2, lasertowers and some M6 + fighter patrols in those sectors...

any M2 is fine, Tyr is the best though..

I recomend Tiger or Thresher for an M7 patrol, Agamemnons are nice too if you want more shields for slightly gimped firepower

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 08:23

Actually, I plan to have the ships inside the Xenon sector astride the route between the gates. The aim is to prevent the Xenon from being able to kill anyone passing through those gates.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 09:28

So you want to keep both 347 and 472 clear of Xenon ships? Might be a tall order. The game seems to want to maintain a certain number of Xenon ships in the universe at all times, and it spawns those in Xenon sectors. Destroying all the ships that spawn in *one* sector will have the effect of increasing the spawn rate in all the others, including the other one you're trying to keep clear!

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 09:40

There was a guy here in the forum that declared war against the Xenon years ago... His war includes blocking Xenon gates and depopulating Xenon sectors by setting up a dedicated fleet for the task.. He even build stations to "scout" for enemies instead of using ships or adv sats. but I cant seem to find his thread.. I know you'll have more information if you managed to read it..

anyway.

for controlling Xenon 347 you might need a line of lasertowers from the east gate to north gate separated in groups with 10 lasertowers each.. then add some M7s along the way using "defend position" command. Then you could have one or several an M2 + M7 and M6 followers patrolling the sector.. Xenon 347 is famous for having upto 6 Qs and several fighters. at a very early game it may also have an I and a J. Whatever you decided to do you must keep in mind that you will loose ships

Now for 472... I dont think you control this sector without loosing expensive M2s throughout your campaign.. This sector has every xenon ships guarding it including a resident I and the xenon shipyard will spawn ships at faster intervals than Xenon 347.. If you have the resources you could have the same line of lasertowers from gate to gate but instead of M7s use multiple M2s. I highly discourage putting up a patrol force here.. Use turtle tactics, let the xenon come to your ships and destroy them one by one..

This is an expensive campaign but if you are having fun doing it why not? just keep in mind that Betty will keep on nagging you about your ships getting attacked..

IanFitzJo
x3tc

Post by IanFitzJo » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 15:21

I'm playing X3TC rather than AP, so the learnings might not be totally useful and I am currently occupying X347, with my eye on X472. I also saw the thread (but haven't looked for it again); the main point I took from it was building Snail Ranch Ms in the sectors because when you are OOS the Xenon ignore them, whereas they treat AdvSats as ships and destroy them. Post the Snail Ranches around the gates (on the Xenon side) to get a look at what's lurking there.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

X347 and X472

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 17:05

Jimmy C, attacking the Xenon in their sectors is not a job for the odd ship. A raid is one thing. But serious battle is another. I've found that the Tyr and Osaka are the only ones with the staying power for that job. The Boreas is marginal. The Xenon just keep attacking and will wear down just about anything else.

There is no Shipyard in X347 but it usually has 2 or 3 J and K. If you kill them, they respawn in the closest SY and migrate back there. Qs and smaller spawn there without a SY.

You can actually take X472 yourself and keep it. You can build your own stations there and put the forces there to keep it. X472 is interesting because Qs do not spawn there under normal conditions. So the quota of Xenon migrate there and you can pick them off along the way, or even set up automated defenses in X472. The SY will spawn again, but it is on a long time schedule. Just kill it when it comes back. The Xenon Station is irrelevant and does nothing I can figure out.

I used to kill all the Xenon SY except Core 023, then put up Snail Ranch L forts in X598 to kill the J and K when they came out from there. If you check my name for previous posts, it gives all the details. You can hold them and keep them from getting out but it becomes a full time job.

I save it for the end of a game now. I do kill all the SY except Core 023. Then they all spawn there. I jump in with a Tyr and Skirnir sidekick and kill them all, 18 to 20 of them. Then I jump out briefly. When I jump back, they all spawn again from the SY, one by one. Kill them all and Repeat. TC fun.

A few important points. I usually deploy Lasertowers in blocks of 50. Twenty five is okay but they have to replaced faster. Your strategy should include the plan for LT replacement. Do not put them in the regular traffic lanes. They will kill red pirates and over time that cause you trouble in whole TC universe when your pirate rating gets too low. There is no easy way to fix the problem. I put a fort on the East Gate of X598 to kill the Xenon capitals, away from the regular traffic lanes. Just dumping 100s of LTs won't work. The Xenon carve through them eventually, and you will have trouble getting into that gate. Plus the problem of red pirates.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 17:19

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Looks like I got more planning to do before proceeding.

astreus
xr

Post by astreus » Thu, 6. Nov 14, 21:55

As said before, the engine try to keep a number of xenon alive. But if the max is reached, no more spams.
And this is the way it works, I guess.
But you have to switch to a modified version.

Go x-101 destroy the gate and spam/produce a large number of xenon in this sector.
Then you might kill the all of another sector without new spams because the max x number was still in the universe. There should be not new spams.
An the x feet in 101 is just idlle, no fights, maybe not so much CPU stress.

You have them all arrested in 101 :lol:
After more than 10 days DID you have to be mad!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”