[AP (XRM?)] How does Laser Switching work?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aeshi
x3tc

[AP (XRM?)] How does Laser Switching work?

Post by Aeshi » Fri, 7. Nov 14, 22:31

[Note: I'm using XRM, but I'm not sure if this is an XRM issue or an AP issue or me being dumb or what]

So I decided to give the "Laser Switching" feature a try since I never used it before, and decided to test it with my Brigantine, which I gave a full set of Gauss Cannons & a full set of Photon Cannons, the idea being that it'd start off using the higher range Gauss Cannons before switching to the higher DPS Photon Cannons when I get in close.

However in practice my ship keeps using the Gauss Cannons no matter what, even if I manually swap to the Photons, it just switches back. But maybe it's still running on Vanilla Stats/Logic, where the Gauss Cannons might actually be the better option at close range?

astreus
xr

Post by astreus » Fri, 7. Nov 14, 23:13

I don't know if there is a special program for cobat with capitals, a difference in range....
But I know there is a switch if the target changes.

When I go to destroy Xenon K & I's with my M2 (Megalodon) I always wondered why the hell there was never a drop of those pretty Single Point Projector Guns. I saw many of them inside (freight scan).
Then I reallised, that all was in use against me, so could not drop, because only cargo containers drop but no installed guns. (IMO)

So I stop (I have a special tactic) firering when the target hull is low at 1-2%, shields at 0 of course.
Then I send just Wasp and then Typhoons. This causes the tagret to load light but fast guns and store the - for missle defense useless - SPP in cargo bay. The Typhoons manage the 1-2% rest of hull and bow! There some SPP containers left. :D
After more than 10 days DID you have to be mad!

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sat, 8. Nov 14, 02:47

Laser Switching allows the player owned ships to switch laser automatically on all of its turrets. This option will use all available lasers in your cargo bay. I don’t really use this feature because it doesn’t take into account what guns can actually hit its intended target. Instead, it will use a gun that corresponds on how far away the target is. (for example: even if the enemy is just a fighter, as long as it stays within 6km your turrets will use anti-capital guns such as PPC to fire at it… which never hit anything smaller than an M7 at that range.)
in your case you enemy is in range of both PPC and Gauss cannons. The script will then choose at the shortest ranged gunn between the two and use it to fire at the enemy (in your case it chose the Gauss).. if you add some CIGs in you cargo bay and move closer that 3km to your enemy, your turrets will choose to fire CIGs rather that keep firing capital class weaponry..

Aeshi
x3tc

Post by Aeshi » Sat, 8. Nov 14, 10:35

Black_hole_suN wrote:in your case you enemy is in range of both PPC and Gauss cannons. The script will then choose at the shortest ranged gunn between the two and use it to fire at the enemy (in your case it chose the Gauss).. if you add some CIGs in you cargo bay and move closer that 3km to your enemy, your turrets will choose to fire CIGs rather that keep firing capital class weaponry..
But in XRM Gauss Cannons outrange Photon Cannons by about 2 km, so by that logic it should be using the Photons since they have the shorter range, so I guess it really is still running on Vanilla Stats.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sat, 8. Nov 14, 13:44

That... I wouldn't know... because I never played XRM before...

you could easily test laser switching yourself by oberserving how AI capital ships fights because, if I remember correctly, they use the same logic in choosing weapons as player owned ship with laser switching on...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 8. Nov 14, 13:54

This thread is debating XRM now so beware or it will be moved across to S&M.

Related vanilla thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”