Performance issues with complex/boron tl

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

ClastMalon
x3tc

Performance issues with complex/boron tl

Post by ClastMalon » Sun, 9. Nov 14, 13:58

I thought maybe if I waited a few years I could play this game without problems on a new computer, but now I'm right back to where I was before. At first things were fine, but now that my complex has grown to near 100 stations (with a boron Orca parked next to it) I'm having issues when in the sector my complex is in. My specs:

Intel i5 4690K
16GB RAM
ATI RADEON R9 290
Windows 7 64bit

I've been running the game on high/high 1920*1080. With great reluctance I lowered things to medium as recommended on the forum, but that didn't make any appreciable difference to performance - just made the game look worse. I also looked at old threads regarding performance and they mention editing the header for the .exe to allow it to use more than 2GB, but when I checked I found that was already enabled in the header, and the other thing mentioned (aggressively trim working set) just causes a steam error when I try to run with it enabled. I also found a thread recommending dropping a dll from a previous version of catalyst into the game folder, but the link is broken and it doesn't say what the filename was.

Is there anything I can do to increase performance without installing mods to get rid of complex tubes etc., or going to the trouble of overclocking? Also, if I did go and do that, I expect I would just have the same problems again a bit further down the line when my complex expands a bit more.

P.S. I also notice that, despite what you'd think, performance does not increase the further you get from the complex when in the sector - if anything, performance increases a little when closer to the complex.
Last edited by ClastMalon on Sun, 9. Nov 14, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 9. Nov 14, 14:39

Tubeless complex mod - does not mark game as modified if used as false patch, works with TC and AP (latter if installed in addon folder) and makes a big difference in sectors with complexes.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ClastMalon
x3tc

Post by ClastMalon » Sun, 9. Nov 14, 17:40

I was hoping to find a way of improving things without reducing image quality or using that mod, but if that's the least intrusive option, I'll go with that and see if I like the look of it. Thanks Alan.

P.S. On my old computer I used the Complex Cleaner by Gazz http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=225042 - I found that to be excellent but I prefer the look of the original complexes.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”