[Q]Editing "3.01 Generic Missions.xml" to spawn more generic missions

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

RoverTX
x4

[Q]Editing "3.01 Generic Missions.xml" to spawn more generic missions

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 18:08

I remember there being some talk about this earlier, but for the life of me I can't remember the conclusion and can't find the posts.

On line 70 of the "3.01 Generic Missions.xml" the cue for spawning missions on entering a sector is present.

Code: Select all

<cue name="L3M01 Sector Offer" instantiate="static" delay="200">
  <cues>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
  </cues>
</cue>
Would there be any negative consequences to causing more generic missions to spawn by adding more calls to cue "L3M01 Offer" like so?

<cues>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
  </cues>
</cue>
For some reason I remember someone saying not to do this because the director wouldn't be cleaned up correctly, but for the life of me I can't remember why. Its a library cue so more calls to it shouldn't cause an issue correct?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 21:28

Not exactly an answer to your question, but wouldn't it be easier to just change the probabilities?

I do that in my game; setting some probabilities to zero allows others set at 100 to be more common.

Or are you trying to increase the overall number of generic missions?

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 23:09

More missions in general, not just of one type. I have done some testing of this today and it seems to work with out any major slowdown, but I swear someone had some reason why this would slow down your game after a while. Something about the garbage collection not working right when you called a library cue more than once in a row in the same cue. Maybe that all got fixed though and I am getting confused with the slow down issue that was present at the start of X3AP that was related to generic mission clean up some how.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sat, 15. Nov 14, 23:58

Have you considered changing these variables in Globals.txt:

SG_MISSION_QUOTA_TRADE;4;
SG_MISSION_QUOTA_FIGHT;4;
SG_MISSION_QUOTA_BUILD;4;
SG_MISSION_QUOTA_THINK;4;
Worth a try to see if doubling them gives you more offers.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 00:01

It does not it only changes weights.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 00:17

I have not seen dillpickle or eldyranx3 around recently, but ketraar is still active. If he does not pick up this thread in a day or two, then maybe pm one of them?

Those guys are the experts in MD. Or enenra... I did see him pop up recently.

dillpickle
x3tc

Re: [Q]Editing "3.01 Generic Missions.xml" to spawn more generic missions

Post by dillpickle » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 19:29

RoverTX wrote:I remember there being some talk about this earlier, but for the life of me I can't remember the conclusion and can't find the posts.

On line 70 of the "3.01 Generic Missions.xml" the cue for spawning missions on entering a sector is present.

<cues>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
  </cues>
</cue>
Would there be any negative consequences to causing more generic missions to spawn by adding more calls to cue "L3M01 Offer" like so?

<cues>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
    <cue ref="L3M01 Offer"/>
  </cues>
</cue>
For some reason I remember someone saying not to do this because the director wouldn't be cleaned up correctly, but for the life of me I can't remember why. Its a library cue so more calls to it shouldn't cause an issue correct?
L3M01 Sector Offer is a static cue - so multiple instances are already being run. If you jump into a sector and 15 missions show up, then L3M01 Offer has run 15 times... Running L3M01 Offer three time on each instance isn't something I'd do.
It's possible it won't have any adverse effect, though I know there are some missions that will run for a long time once generated - protect trade convoy for one - which have a lot of stuff running on them. Some possibly got fixed in AP, but can't remember.

Personally I take out the missions I don't do (protect convoy/tail ship'sector scans etc...) leaving more of the quota for those that I will do.

If you want to keep the full set of missions available, then maybe take a look at the XTC 3.01 Generic Missions - this was set up with a 'cap' for each discipline (trade/fight etc...) so no more than four of each would appear - should be feasible to raise the cap from 4 to a higher number.

+JAZZ+
x2

Post by +JAZZ+ » Thu, 4. Dec 14, 15:46

Did anyone found an answer for this question ??

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Thu, 4. Dec 14, 23:04

+JAZZ+ wrote:Did anyone found an answer for this question ??
Read Dillpickle's response?
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

+JAZZ+
x2

Post by +JAZZ+ » Sat, 6. Dec 14, 11:58

jack775544 wrote:
+JAZZ+ wrote:Did anyone found an answer for this question ??
Read Dillpickle's response?
Of course.
But he dont say what exactly must be changed in the "3.01 Generic Missions.xml".

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 6. Dec 14, 13:31

As Dillpickle said the method that is stated in the first post (copy and paste the cue call a couple of times) should be fine.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”