[X3:AP] Overlapping asteroids. What IS this?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jimmy C
x3tc

[X3:AP] Overlapping asteroids. What IS this?

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 16:25

I wanted to make a complex to produce CFAs, FAAs and PPCs. My candidate sectors for the complex were Heron's Nebula and Heaven's Assertion. Then I find some of the asteroids I had intended to use had been placed at the same coordinates, in both sectors!
This means only one of those rocks can be used, the other has to be destroyed. Or both must be used and a complex built at their location. I did NOT enjoy finding that out. Thankfully I saved a game before even buying any stations. I have redrawn my plans to put the complex in Guiding Star instead.
I also see that the big ore and silicon asteroids in Antigone Memorial are overlapping as well.
How do you deal with them?

Bill Huntington
x3tc

variabel asteroids

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 16:51

Most asteroids have established coordinates. Some are variable. So the variable ones can intersect with another asteroid. A few established asteroids also intersect. If Ore or Silicon mines are placed on them, they will degrade whenever you are in sector and eventually blow up. One pair in Ore Belt comes to mind. If they are part of a station, all the links connecting the station will blow when that mine goes.

You already know the answer. Make a choice. Put a mine on the one you don't want. Self destruct it.

Be aware that a black outline of the station remains for about one game day. That's like 'ship debris' in the game. If a ship hits it, it can die. If you build a station that intersects with it, it will begin to degrade. If you made the mistake already, just stay out of the sector for a day.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 17:07

The ones troubling me aren't variable. They're on the maps I view on the net. I thought there must have been some mistake when I saw two asteroids with the same coordinates. Then I see that's exactly where those rocks are in the game.
I've decided I'm not going to bother with them and have gone to Guiding Star instead.

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 18:41

I think that if you link them in a complex them will be safe.

Not sure, but it is easy to try.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 19:51

Yes, they would. I already tried it before my last post. They would be safe, but unmovable.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 17. Nov 14, 21:48

. If Ore or Silicon mines are placed on them, they will degrade whenever you are in sector and eventually blow up. One pair in Ore Belt comes to mind. If they are part of a station, all the links connecting the station will blow when that mine goes.
In TC and AP this does not happen once connected as a mini complex.

so the option is to connect both mines on the asteroid and switch off the one you don't need

the plus side is that you get that extra storage space :-)

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 19. Nov 14, 07:25

Asteroids respawn with that in mind follow few simple steps:

1. Destroy one of asteroids.

2. Slap a mine on the survivor.

3. Move the mine.

4. Wait for the other roid to respawn.

5. ???

6. Profit.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 19. Nov 14, 11:28

why have I never thought of that ?
:lol:

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 19. Nov 14, 17:42

hisazul wrote:Asteroids respawn with that in mind follow few simple steps:

1. Destroy one of asteroids.

2. Slap a mine on the survivor.

3. Move the mine.

4. Wait for the other roid to respawn.

5. ???

6. Profit.
I've been considering this problem and came back with an idea...but it is less brilliant than this one.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Thu, 20. Nov 14, 02:51

Tractor beam?

Nick Northern
x3tc

Post by Nick Northern » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 02:15

I have a problem related to this one. In Oort Cloud there are two 10 yield Silicons I need to complete a complex right next to each other and touching. What makes my problem different from the one in this thread is that I need both of these asteroids for my complex so I can't destroy one. Or can I destroy one and the other will respawn? How long does it take them to respawn? Will they respawn at the same location?

I thought of complexing them, but they are far from my intended complex (already laid out and done except for the asteroid mines).

Any help would be great.

EDIT: After some research, I'm reading that mining stations on asteroids means the asteroid won't respawn? I can reload to before I started the complex, but that is hours of waisted time unfortunately, and won't change the fact that two asteroids I need for this complex are overlapping.

Second Edit: Realized that my only fix was to just suck it up and complex the two Silicon Mines that were rubbing, and then assign traders to ferry and supply the Silicon to the Complex. Not perfect but it will work.
Enemies make you stronger, allies make you weaker.
Frank Herbert

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Sun, 28. Dec 14, 17:07

Nick Northern wrote:Second Edit: Realized that my only fix was to just suck it up and complex the two Silicon Mines that were rubbing, and then assign traders to ferry and supply the Silicon to the Complex. Not perfect but it will work.
If there is any rubbing they will eventually blow up, check their shields are not dropping.

To move one i use a Hercules with a Tractor Beam in the back, switch to F2 view and steer your ship to within 4km of any point on the mine, you can tow it in any direction. Then, when in a safe position, steer the Herc to directly in front of the docking bays, hook up the tractor anf fly (carefully) to where you want the mine to be.
In AP they fixed the problem of towing whilst in seta so it's easy to do.

Good luck :)
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 28. Dec 14, 20:55

Don't ask me about respawn times... those vary. Starting from 5 game days to... weeks.

Asteroids respawn as long as you don't place a mine on them. Once the mine is placed the asteroid is actually removed( and its deleted from your save permanently so be careful with what you place on your asteroids) and replaced by a mine. As long as you don't place a mine on asteroid it will always respawn after being destroyed or broken in some way. Destroying a mine will not make asteroid respawn... in case that wasn't clear.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”