is possible play to X3:AP without focus in trading?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tornar
x3ap

is possible play to X3:AP without focus in trading?

Post by tornar » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 18:55

Hi guys, I would like to know if I could play to X3:AP without focusing in trading, and still be able to get a nice combat ship and finish all the missions. I havent problems on to do any trade, but not focusing in doing a building empire. is it possible? And could you gimme any tips?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Re: is possible play to X3:AP without focus in trading?

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 19:14

tornar wrote:I would like to know if I could play to X3:AP without focusing in trading, and still be able to get a nice combat ship and finish all the missions.
You certainly can, tornar. Part of the fun of X3 is that you can play it almost any way you like. Take the missions that you prefer and skip the rest. Earn credits any way you like.

After some time, most players find that a combination of FIGHT, TRADE, BUILD, THINK has advantages. For example, you may want to build or trade weapons and missiles to fuel your combat effort. However, you can easily spend your time in-game doing the things that you love the most.

Early in the game, the best tip is simply to take the missions that you want.

My favorite start is the Terran Defender start. I can't tell you why without spoiling it. But, trust me... Terran Defender is fun if it is your first exposure to the game, and part of that fun is removed if you play it *after* you know the game better.

Similarly, I recommend that you stop reading this forum for a while. It is tempting to learn from experienced players, but a very big part of the fun is in figuring things out for yourself. That is the THINK part of the game. This forum has many people who love to help, but we all tend to be over-enthusiastic about it.

My recommendation is to learn the game for yourself. Only come here when you are *very* stuck.

YMMV.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 19:21

It's definitely possible. Mainly because achievable combat mission rewards scale up into the millions as your race rep and ship strength increases. Creating a station empire helps to generate income and create the equipment that a large fleet may require but for plots and combat missions a large fleet isn't needed.

Do look into Universe Traders (AKA Mk3 Traders) as they will generate passive income and passive race rep gains without the investment in time needed to build a proper station empire. If you do, don't forget to look into the Bonus Pack as the Blacklist Manager is very useful. Also take a look at my signature as some components of the Bonus Pack have been updated so you may want to install parts separately instead (plus there is a fix in the for a fault with Mk3 Traders and the Blacklist Manager).

Have fun!

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 20:07

Certainly. I tend to do as little trading and building as possible and still enjoy the game a lot.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

tornar
x3ap

Post by tornar » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 20:12

Ok, thank you for the info. I have bought game in Steam a few minutes ago and Im downloading it atm. Would u recommend that I install XRM and TC plots mods? Or I just should start X3:AP vanilla? I never have played any X universe game, but I like challenging games and combat focus.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 28. Nov 14, 20:16

Not XRM -- it wrecks the excellent vanilla balance. Save XRM for when you are tired of vanilla and want something different.

TC Plots for AP, yes.

Maybe Combat Tricks (harder enemies) when you get bored of vanilla enemies. (it is on my list in my sig).

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 00:20

DrBullwinkle wrote:Not XRM -- it wrecks the excellent vanilla balance.
Can't agree more. It's a good mod but very imbalanced, despite the name "Rebalanced", in the sense that you are somehow forced to pilot the most powerful class, i.e. M2. You can't do much in lower-end classes.

I think some other popular total conversion mods (including the newest one, LU) have the same issue.

This also leads me to miss X3 Reunion, when fighters were not cannon fodders like they are in AP now. If you own this game you should at least play once. It is the most balanced among all X games. It easily creates some of the best dogfighting moments.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 02:44

In X3:R it would be "hard" to not trade and finish everything. TC has plots that again require building/trading. AP on the other hand has down to earth requirements for finishing plots. You will need to buy a few things... but depending on who you side with specific materials in one of plots are even given to you. AP can be done with pure fight in mind with occasional buying armaments and training marines. As suggested before go with terrans and you will be well off.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”