impossible to hit a xenon ship..

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tornar
x3ap

impossible to hit a xenon ship..

Post by tornar » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 14:15

hey there, I have started to play to X3:TC (first game X serie I have played), and I cant pass first mission about patrol pluton, Im not able to hit one single time after 10 minutes fighting with a xenon ship, can you gimme any tip? I have fire to semi, and I try fire where red square say that ship is going to move, and I think I got some good hits, but the other ship keep moving very fast and doesnt show dmg.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 15:16

Install "Fight Command Mk2"

press K until the little text in the bottom left of your screen (under your weapons group) says "Auto Aim: ON".

Use boresight fire. the default button for it is CTRL

tornar
x3ap

Post by tornar » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 15:31

Hey mate, thx for the tip, could u tell me where can I buy it? And how much is it? I think that I only have 1.000 credits.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 16:44

In classic control mode at least, 'full' auto-aim is available with *either* of Fight Software 1 or 2 and 'semi' (aim assist target-lead marker) is available with no Fight Software at all. Just try pressing K a few cycles as you are and see what you get to help you.

The cursor changes when your target is in range of your (longest ranged) weapon and Betty announces when it is in range as well. Don't bother firing outside that range as you will not hit. Also don't keep firing constantly as you will use up all your laser energy; just fire short bursts when you are in good firing situations.

In the starting ship you only have very light weapons so only chose targets that have very light shields at this stage.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 17:39

Welcome to TC! They call it a ‘steep learning curve’. But the payoff is quite a game.

I remember being totally frustrated at the start. So let me give you a few tips to get started. Don’t read any more if you want to figure it out on your own.

You need Fight 1 software immediately and other things too. You don’t have any money. More than that, you don’t have the reputation to buy it even with the money.

Go to the Orbital Defense Base in the sector where you start. Sell your Poltergeist missiles. Sell one of your lasers. Don’t worry, you still have enough for a good fight. Probably what you want to buy is still red and you don’t have the reputation to buy it.

There is something built into the game that the veterans know about. You can gain reputation by buying and selling to yourself, back and forth. But it only works for the first thing you buy and sell. If you sell your Poltergeists first, that would work. Or you can undock and then dock again. Pick one item that’s cheap. Sometimes it works in 4 or 5 tries and sometimes it takes 10 or 11. It’s a probability thing. But it does work. Watch your rep gain. You only get it once per session. Undock again if you have to.

I don’t like the Terran start but many pilots do. I think the Argon Patriot start has more advantages for a new pilot.

You should probably restart to do all this. You don’t lose anything and you’ll have a better game.

Again, Welcome to TC!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

tornar
x3ap

Post by tornar » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 21:41

I think Im going to try start other time with Argon Patriot and to do what you said Bill, because I already have tried 4 times the mission about destroy a drone, and Im not able even to hit that drone when I am waiting him near of the gate. Anyways atm Im playing with mouse/keyboard, and I am going to buy a Hotas X the next week, so I hope to have a better flight combat experience...

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 22:09

Tornar : Do not worry about hitting the drone instead start following it and keep going in the direction it was regardless.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 29. Nov 14, 23:38

May I suggest you make a separate/trial game take a combat ship and go shoot some small asteroids?

Semi targeting only gives you approximate direction. Full targeting is much better but if you still manually shooting its not exact. If you use bore sight fire then it's pretty darn accurate with targeting on.

Before anyone says anything those 2 ways of shooting are in fact very different when it comes to snapping into targeting lock. Normal cursor fire doesn't snap(it's not really any different then shooting with semi targeting) while bore sight does in fact snap into it.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 30. Nov 14, 01:56

tornar wrote:I think Im going to try start other time with Argon Patriot and to do what you said Bill, because I already have tried 4 times the mission about destroy a drone, and Im not able even to hit that drone when I am waiting him near of the gate. Anyways atm Im playing with mouse/keyboard, and I am going to buy a Hotas X the next week, so I hope to have a better flight combat experience...
A real joystick will help, yes.

Fight Command S/w (FCS) and setting auto-aim to ON... that part is critical. It will make hitting targets, well, automatic.

FCS is cheap. As said, collecting and selling wares is sufficient to buy stuff like that.

Don't give up so easily on Terran Defender, though. It *is* fun as your first X experience, and you will forever ruin half of that fun by playing other starts before you play Terran Defender. Forever.

Plus, you are going to have to kill ships in any start. Terran Defender is actually easier than others, especially early in your first game.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 5. Dec 14, 17:34

The other thing to consider is that just because something is "in range" doesn't mean that your odds of hitting it are good, or that it will be in range when your projectiles reach it. Try to get closer, as in "a lot" closer, and the target will present a much larger area to hit. Shooting at a faster target at long range that's dodging and heading away from you at a speed nearly as high as your lethargic bullets isn't very productive. If you've got the shields and weapons for it, a head-on shot, or one where you dodge to the side and shoot as they pass, can work. Also, it's often easier to hit them when they're making passes on another target.

Some weapons have a relatively small "bullet", while others use an energy "projectile" that can cover enough area to hit stuff with a near-miss; the Terran basic gun is so-so in that respect, and you don't have any other options at this point with that start. A few of the Commonwealth guns either use a larger bullet or have a higher projectile speed, making them more effective against small, fast targets. Personally, I don't like flying the Terran fighters, even though they're technically "superior" in several respects.

Beyond that, it's mainly a matter of learning the combat system, and knowing how to maneuver and where to aim to get the best hit ratio. Good luck, because in my opinion the game is well worth the brutal leaning curve (or is it a near-vertical wall?).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”